Boeing Dreamliner "draws" logo over U.S.

flatlandassn

Got this off of yahoo this morning, my two favorite things marketing, and powered flight.

Attachments

• boeing.jpg
    boeing.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 349

mezz

I saw that on the nightly news a few day's ago, "787" with the Boeing logo. I think the flight time it took was like 18 hrs?-Mezz

Last edited:

frosty

Are they still test flighting it? I thought Japan was suppose to be receiving like the first hundred or so already. Or is it Boeing just showing with the prototype?!

flatlandassn

Best I can tell 15 have been made, and 5 have been delivered. On a side note next time someone complains about the difficulties of getting at something in their sleds engine bay....it could be worse. This little puppy is comes to us from the good folks at GE. 67,500 pounds of thrust and a dry weight of 12,822 lbs, for a whooping 5.3 thrust to weight ratio.
ge.jpg

frosty

Its hard to imagine something this small, it relation to the aircraft its attatched to, can produce so much POWER!! I wonder what its mpg is?

dcsnomo

Its hard to imagine something this small, it relation to the aircraft its attatched to, can produce so much POWER!! I wonder what its mpg is?

6.077 gallons per mile (not miles per gallon)

However, that is transporting 365 people, so gallons per passenger mile is .01665. My silverado, at 18 mpg, transporting only me would be .05555 gallons per mile.

frosty

6.077 gallons per mile (not miles per gallon)

However, that is transporting 365 people, so gallons per passenger mile is .01665. My silverado, at 18 mpg, transporting only me would be .05555 gallons per mile.

I knew you or fnarsh would come with the answer I was looking for! But your Silerado use fuel that cost 3.33 a gallon, a gallon of jet fuel is almost double that. Then we wonder why the aviation industry has a hard time making money!:)

mvedepo

For comparison in the 747 I usually figured around 25,000 lbs/hr or 3,730 gallons per hour. That's cruising at Mach .84 which would be an avg ground speed of 480 kts (552 mph) at 38,000 ft. So we got .14 mpg or 6.75 gallons per mile.

As for the wiring. There is between 150 and 200 MILES of wiring in the 747. ;-)