BoonDocker's crossing the trail.

snoden

As a trail rider we have seen more and more of this happening, off trail guys using the trail berm to launch into the powder. Coming from one side across the trail to the other. A few years ago we came upon a very bad accident where a trail rider broad sided a BoonDocker doing just that. Just returned home today from an awesome week of riding, 1200 miles of perfectly groomed trails except for one day, this past Monday. We were on trial 89 in Grand Marais, this trail is a fast highly technical trail. Thirteen miles of sweepers and some straights mixed in, just a super fun trail. Just like that a sled appears from our right out of the bush and across the trail, my buddy does everything he could but T bones this moron, fortunately he got it slowed down enough that the impact was not horrible. Both riders were ejected from there sleds, the good news was neither rider was hurt. Some cosmetic damage to my buddies sled and pushed the track off the rear boogies of the long track. Tense moment at first but cooler heads prevailed. I don't have a problem with any type of sled using the trail system for it's intended purpose but C'mon this crap is getting dangerous. A few days later we encountered another BoonDocker doing the same thing luckily he stopped before dropping onto the trail. We blasted him with our air horns to which he threw his arms up in the air as to say what the _ _ _ K. Came upon another group parked 3 wide on trail....what the heck is going on, do people just lose all sense while operating an offroad vehicle? OK rant over!

winterwarlock

Entitled losers that think of nobody but themselves, then when their actions effect or cause harm to someone else it’s your fault not theirs. A good ass kicking is needed for every single one of those entitled irresponsible morons.

pclark

Unfortunate for you guys. I do think that the new breed of riders are just plain selfish and only think of themselves when they are on the trail as witnessed by many on this forum. While we encounter some of these individuals we also meet many that are great ambassadors of the sport, thanks to all that make it safe and enjoyable! To those that don't please think a little harder next time you do what you think may be fun, it also may very dangerous and possibly ruin it for a lot of people. I like the saying from Gary, "Come on People, We can do better!"

snoden

While we encounter some of these individuals we also meet many that are great ambassadors of the sport, thanks to all that make it safe and enjoyable!
Couldn't agree more pc, we spoke with a lot of folks in town for the veterans ride out of Seney. Great ambassadors for our sport and our veterans.

ICT Sledder

I see it too, and it scares the heck out of me, especially when I see it on the grade trails where I (and many sledders I'd guess) haul the mail, generally. To say nothing of the trenches they leave across the trail base.

Tim in Indiana

I had this happen to me last Friday south of Twin Lakes. I was running between 60 and 70 and he shot across from the right side to the left and I probably missed him by less than five feet. I slid to a stop, looked back and to his credit he also stopped and thumped his chest as if saying "my bad" and waved.

It brought my adrenaline up a bit but really freaked out the wife who was behind me.

pclark

I had this happen to me last Friday south of Twin Lakes. I was running between 60 and 70 and he shot across from the right side to the left and I probably missed him by less than five feet. I slid to a stop, looked back and to his credit he also stopped and thumped his chest as if saying "my bad" and waved.

It brought my adrenaline up a bit but really freaked out the wife who was behind me.
Bad enough if it's deer or an animal, just plain irresponsible for someone to do that. It's an enjoyable sport, do we now have look both ways for guys coming out of the woods at us? WTF Certain People? Oh, I'm sure you aren't reading this forum, are you?

whitedust

Bad enough if it's deer or an animal, just plain irresponsible for someone to do that. It's an enjoyable sport, do we now have look both ways for guys coming out of the woods at us? WTF Certain People? Oh, I'm sure you aren't reading this forum, are you?
Actually a deer has more brains than a cross
trail boondocker deer often run down the trail then bail off to one side or the other. Give them room and then get out of the way.

snomoman

This happened to me also around the Gwinn Michigan area, I believe it was trail 8, all of a sudden I see this sled coming from off trail, he never even looked, I missed him by just a few feet, oh I wanted to stop and beat his ass

heckler56

We saw the same on January and February rides. Once we approached a group in front of us in some tight twisties, out of the woods comes a woodie and fortunately the guy in front of us reacted in time while our group watching in slow motion were able to react as more woodies followed.

Whenever we stop and talk with folks everyone seems reasonable like us, so who are the ”bad for all of us” riders are I am at a loss. I guess they are also responsible for all trespassing going on this year. It is getting to the point where I would consider an additional fee on the trail pass for more enforcement!

dfattack

We saw the same on January and February rides. Once we approached a group in front of us in some tight twisties, out of the woods comes a woodie and fortunately the guy in front of us reacted in time while our group watching in slow motion were able to react as more woodies followed.

Whenever we stop and talk with folks everyone seems reasonable like us, so who are the ”bad for all of us” riders are I am at a loss. I guess they are also responsible for all trespassing going on this year. It is getting to the point where I would consider an additional fee on the trail pass for more enforcement!
While I agree with this in theory, whoever was managing that department / agency would eventually become corrupted. It would start out as something most of us would agree with and support but then eventually who knows what they would be doing? sitting in the woods with radar guns? I don't trust our current system to limit themselves to the original scope.

whitedust

Sled cops would have to hang in very popular areas or no ROI on their efforts. I can see powder hounds jumping berms on grades or wide open UP trails like 107 where there is enough of a clearing to ride off trail. On unplowed FRs I see their tracks every time thru but those aren’t highly traveled. Cutting across a busy grade or open groomed trail blindly is thoughtless and will kill someone. I don’t care what other riders do riding legally off trail but I do care when that behavior threatens my well being.

heckler56

While I agree with this in theory, whoever was managing that department / agency would eventually become corrupted. It would start out as something most of us would agree with and support but then eventually who knows what they would be doing? sitting in the woods with radar guns? I don't trust our current system to limit themselves to the original scope.
I agree. A guy can dream. Over the last couple years we have seen a stepped up effort outside Marquette. Well, more so their vehicles parked with their sleds nowhere in sight. With the uptick in riding on private property, woodies freelancing powerlines, woodies ripping into trails, maybe a increased presence could bring this down a notch and also make property owners feel their voice is heard.

dfattack

I agree. A guy can dream. Over the last couple years we have seen a stepped up effort outside Marquette. Well, more so their vehicles parked with their sleds nowhere in sight. With the uptick in riding on private property, woodies freelancing powerlines, woodies ripping into trails, maybe a increased presence could bring this down a notch and also make property owners feel their voice is heard.
Totally agree it's needed. Won't argue that at all. I just wish we could trust the enforcement to contain themselves to what the task is. Really tired of hearing how the few mess things up for the majority...where have I heard that before?

WorkHardPlayHrd

3 years ago on a Monday we were riding from Paradise to Newberry on what I believe off the top of my head is trail 45. We were already south of the twisted part of the trail around the falls. We had seen no 1 all day. I had opened up and was going just under 100 when we came into a clearing. All I saw was a flash of yellow to my left. I jerked my sled right, launched over the berm, and luckily came down in heavy powder, or else I would have been T-boned.

The guy goes hey sorry "dude" as he walked up to me. I don't know what scared him more, realizing I was female, or my very pissed off 6 ft 3 in husband who looked like he was ready to commit murder. My husband opened his mouth and they started running. I understand they thought nobody was riding, but they had been doing this all day. We found evidence in every clearing from that point south. Never saw them again. Luckily no one got hurt and the sled was fine.