Boots - All day Trail Riding

parker

Yes , I used Advanced search and reviewed old posts.

My trusty (10yr old) CastleX's started leaking and need replacing. So, what's a Trail Rider to buy these days ? I guess I'm old school because I like boots that have a Removable Liner Feature (to dry out) in the event you go over the top and water enters. Being able to dry up after that kind of intrusion is a plus.

Wanna know what Boot You Recommend and Why ... and what to stay away from is great info too.

1fujifilm

Yes , I used Advanced search and reviewed old posts.

My trusty (10yr old) CastleX's started leaking and need replacing. So, what's a Trail Rider to buy these days ? I guess I'm old school because I like boots that have a Removable Liner Feature (to dry out) in the event you go over the top and water enters. Being able to dry up after that kind of intrusion is a plus.

Wanna know what Boot You Recommend and Why ... and what to stay away from is great info too.

Just standard winter Sorel boots for me, I only ride trails though.
Have had the same pair for the last 12 years anyway and funny enough I soaked them this past January. I was riding near Calumet, MI and stopped on the trail and stepped into a water hole. Rode back to the Houghton Ramada and washed/dried the liners and was back on the trail in 2 hours.
Strangely enough, I had 4 inches of stinky black water in them when I returned and didn't get cold.

Bear

buddah2

I ridden with Klim Adrenaline for the last 7 or 8 seasons....had Trukkee before that with 2 sets of liners....simple solution for the Klim, Peet boot dryer...works like a proverbial charm and you can buy extension(s) for your gloves too....not terribly expensive, unlike the d*** boots ;)

whitedust

I ridden with Klim Adrenaline for the last 7 or 8 seasons....had Trukkee before that with 2 sets of liners....simple solution for the Klim, Peet boot dryer...works like a proverbial charm and you can buy extension(s) for your gloves too....not terribly expensive, unlike the d*** boots ;)
If you can find a used pair of used truckee they are very warm and last forever mine are probably 25 plus years old look like new but I do mink oil them Spring and Fall.

6hundy6

If you can find a used pair of used truckee they are very warm and last forever mine are probably 25 plus years old look like new but I do mink oil them Spring and Fall.
Used boots? Ha! No thanks. X2 on the peet boot dryer. Columbia Omni tech for me. Only get 3-4 seasons out of them but they are warm, light weight, water proof, and have some flexibility.

whitedust

Used boots? Ha! No thanks. X2 on the peet boot dryer. Columbia Omni tech for me. Only get 3-4 seasons out of them but they are warm, light weight, water proof, and have some flexibility.

Sorry but reason for used truckee is they don’t make them anymore haven’t for years but if you can find a good used pair you have the best boot ever made. Way ahead of their time with warm inserts and quick disconnect buckles. Feet never get cold in the coldest conditions.

parker

Have had the same pair for the last 12 years anyway and funny enough I soaked them this past January. I was riding near Calumet, MI and stopped on the trail and stepped into a water hole. Rode back to the Houghton Ramada and washed/dried the liners and was back on the trail in 2 hours.
Strangely enough, I had 4 inches of stinky black water in them when I returned and didn't get cold.

Bear

This would be a perfect example of why I prefer Removable Liners. They have the advantage of a quick complete dry up. I suspect you didn't get cold due to the Wool in the Liners of the Sorels.
(I have a pair of Sorels and will pack them in with the gear for a Back-up. They never let me down and are probably 15yrs old easy.)
Got a Peet Dryer too and love it, but it's a Slow Cook.

Klim currently does not offer anything with removable liner. What to do, What to do ?

whitedust

This would be a perfect example of why I prefer Removable Liners. They have the advantage of a quick complete dry up. I suspect you didn't get cold due to the Wool in the Liners of the Sorels.
(I have a pair of Sorels and will pack them in with the gear for a Back-up. They never let me down and are probably 15yrs old easy.)

Klim currently does not offer anything with removable liner. What to do, What to do ?

I would look into the BOA ss lacing system don’t know if BOA comes with a boot with inserts but really trick imo

1fujifilm

Looks like I have the Sorel "Caribou", got'em at Fleet Farm back in the day; $120 at Zappo's now.

Bear

bearrassler

Bear

I got a pair of Sorels back in the early 70's and used them for over 20 years, snowmobiling and hunting, then I replaced them in 93 with some Polaris Ice Riders, they were made by Lacrosse, I think the new Ice Kings are about the same, 27 years and they still work great, I think they should last another 10 years or more

old abe

X2 on the Ice Kings. Mine are probably 35+ years old. They called them IceMan back then. Bought a pair of Cabela's Inferno 2000 Pack boots with the BOA lacing, really nice. I'm not a fan of boots without liners, but these babies work! Just a pair of Carhartt Force socks, no sweat, no cold feet! Picked them up on sale for $150. Very comfy also. Order 1 size up.

Last edited:

slimcake

i wear 1000 gram Irish Setters and have spent many a full day outdoors without ever a cold foot. Hey Fuji, you got more than your feet wet on that january day eh?? Atleast the kids that were blocking the trail stuck around to help us right??...

swampcat

X2 on the Ice Kings. Mine are probably 35+ years old. They called them IceMan back then. Bought a pair of Cabela's Inferno 2000 Pack boots with the BOA lacing, really nice. I'm not a fan of boots without liners, but these babies work! Just a pair of Carhartt Force socks, no sweat, no cold feet! Picked them up on sale for $150. Very comfy also. Order 1 size up.

Nope, Iceman was a step below the Iceking. Lacrosse boots went to china when the company sold out and moved to the west coast, about the year 2000. Pure junk boot now. Thats OK because I have enough made in U.S.A. pairs to last the rest of my life.

old abe

Nope, Iceman was a step below the Iceking. Lacrosse boots went to china when the company sold out and moved to the west coast, about the year 2000. Pure junk boot now. Thats OK because I have enough made in U.S.A. pairs to last the rest of my life.

You are spot on grub. My memory is bad! My riding bud has a pair of Ice Kings, they are pretty much all leather except the side of the shaft? Kind of look like Frankenstein boots. They must be 25 years old. I believe he go the boots at Shade Tree? Yes, any Chinese rubber boots pretty much just dry root crack, and junk. I have the black Sorels John Deere used back in 1971. Soles are slicks now, but still good rubber.

Last edited:

sweeperguy

I ride in snowboard boots. Lots of Extra ankle support. Some are okay to walk in, but some are too stiff. So you need to find a pair that is flex enough to walk in. They keep feet nice and warm, I've never had cold feet in them. Mine are Sapient brand

scott_l

Bafflin or baffin removable liners & never cold feet

I agree GREAT product only issue I have personally seen is that they can be a little wide at the top so some boot/bib combinations don’t work. Ran into this problem with my wife (small big size).