Boulder Junction area

92 coupe

Looking at staying in this area and wondering what some average distances by trail are to some of the more populated areas. St Germain, Eagle River, etc. We will have 3 12-13 aged riders making their first trip on their own sleds. Thanks

pclark

You can get to many places around the Northwoods from Boulder and they can be 50 mile trips with good places to stop. Up to Presque Isle and Manitowish Waters is 15-20 miles each way, down to Sayner 20 miles each way. Up to Bents Camp is about 25 miles each way. With your age group I would stay up north and west of Boulder to try and have as little traffic as possible. If you'll be here on the weekend It's anything goes, we have had a lot of traffic here this winter. Do your mileage and then figure about 20 mph with your group. We ride safe and we are 60-65 year olds and we average 25mph and we aren't holding anybody up. Good luck and stay safe, enjoy these moments with he young ones, they are fun!

Northstar

Boulder to Presque Isle to Winchester through Manitowish Waters and back to BJ is a good 50/55 mile loop which can be a full day with your crew. Most of the trails are fairly wide but the hills between BJ and PI can be a line of sight issue.

whitedust

Like all the adult riders out on the trails know these rules and etiquette.
No that’s not it all. Rookie preparation is important in traffic areas be ready for the unexpected. On a weekend very possible to see those riding too fast for conditions and must be prepared for the event. Don’t need to be scared but when faced with wrong side riders just move over and stop.

Tim in Indiana

A suggestion,
If you're going to take young ones out on the weekend get out early in the morning. The trails are mostly groomed overnight so they'll be better than later in the day. Also the crowds are usually lighter before 9:00-10:00 am.

And Whitedust is correct. It's crazy on the weekends in this area.

92 coupe

You can get to many places around the Northwoods from Boulder and they can be 50 mile trips with good places to stop. Up to Presque Isle and Manitowish Waters is 15-20 miles each way, down to Sayner 20 miles each way. Up to Bents Camp is about 25 miles each way. With your age group I would stay up north and west of Boulder to try and have as little traffic as possible. If you'll be here on the weekend It's anything goes, we have had a lot of traffic here this winter. Do your mileage and then figure about 20 mph with your group. We ride safe and we are 60-65 year olds and we average 25mph and we aren't holding anybody up. Good luck and stay safe, enjoy these moments with he young ones, they are fun!
Thanks for all the great info. I am super excited to get the family side of this endeavor started but not gonna lie I'm pretty nervous as well. My son has been on a sled since 3 and has ridden the big ones around the fields for a couple years but this is a whole new side of it.

Boulder to Presque Isle to Winchester through Manitowish Waters and back to BJ is a good 50/55 mile loop which can be a full day with your crew. Most of the trails are fairly wide but the hills between BJ and PI can be a line of sight issue.
We may give that loop a try thank you.

A suggestion,
If you're going to take young ones out on the weekend get out early in the morning. The trails are mostly groomed overnight so they'll be better than later in the day. Also the crowds are usually lighter before 9:00-10:00 am.

And Whitedust is correct. It's crazy on the weekends in this area.
I will do that thank you. Any good breakfast destinations to try out?

pclark

Thanks for all the great info. I am super excited to get the family side of this endeavor started but not gonna lie I'm pretty nervous as well. My son has been on a sled since 3 and has ridden the big ones around the fields for a couple years but this is a whole new side of it.

We may give that loop a try thank you.

I will do that thank you. Any good breakfast destinations to try out?
The Skyview on the west side of Presque Isle has great breakfast and all meals. If you got started early you could make it for a late breakfast/early lunch. You have to go through PI and then head west on Trail 6 right along HWY W. Open at 3pm on Wed, Thur, Fri, open at 10am on Sat or Sun.

Tim in Indiana

Be aware that Skyview ownership has changed and they have changed hours. They are not open on Monday or Tuesday and they don't open earlier than 9:00 am on the other days. No more going there at 7:00 for breakfast.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Be aware that Skyview ownership has changed and they have changed hours. They are not open on Monday or Tuesday and they don't open earlier than 9:00 am on the other days. No more going there at 7:00 for breakfast.
There is a great breakfast place right in Boulder on the south side of town. Can't remember the name but breakfast is their specialty. Big portions, good food.