Campers

skid

Thinking of getting into camping next spring, was thinking about a hi-low type, any pros or cons , compared to a regular type camper?

skid

yes i think they are raised up and down with some sort of motor. will be pulling it with a dodge nitro

yamahauler

skid---the up and down is your arm power...I guess you can buy a version that has a motor as an option. And if your going for options, get an auto leveling option if they provide it.

hi-low, easier when pulling, decent storage. I think the only thing is keeping the mice out during storage. Other than that, that fairly maintenance free.

Oh ya, my sister has one that has a built in storage area in the front that is really nice and it also has pop outs in 3 directions.

Happy Camping, it is fun.

samc

Nate hit the nail on the head. Fun - A pop up is the way to go, great gas mileage, easy storage, etc.....

elf

Skid,
I've got a used Coeman Mesa pop up for sale in the Misc ads here on John Dee. We used it for 7-8 yrs and really enjoyed it. Its a great way to get into camping.

lofsfire

samc, elf~ the Hi-Lo is not exactly a pop up. It does pop up so you get the befit of towing a smaller trailer but it has hard sides to it instead of canvas.

skid~ I have seen the ads for the Hi-Lo also but have never seen one in person. Ask about leaks. I was told they had some problems with some units. When I was looking one thing I noticed is the interior walls where 1/2 solid and half canvas. Not a big deal just something to note and think about. I know I saw a company out of NY making sled trailers like the Hi-Lo's also. If I where look more seriously at campers I would take a closer look and the Hi-lo's they look nice. The other campers I really like are the toy haulers. it would be nice to not have to get a room up north all the time and get year round use of the trailer/camper. But that just my opinion.

Hi-lo

Saw this on sledmi
Toy Hauler

chords

Grandparents had Hi Lo. 12 V battery or hand crank up. Nice trailer. I would take a hard shell over pop up with canvas.

Another option for 2 people is the Aliner brand. Ive checked one out inside. Lots of center headroom, windows and protection.

Short YouTube showing easy Aliner set up

P

polaris_5

My parents have one they love it. There a little heavy for pulling. I would check weight and what your nitro could pull.There's have no canvas on the sides. Just push the button and it raises solid sides.Thought about getting the kids camping next year also there are some nice canvas trailers out there also. They had another camper before this one that you cranked up solid sides and folded out the ends which were also solid nice unit. Don't know who made that one was really old.

kevisip

I do like that Hi-Lo that lotsfire put a link to. Especially if you have limited space to store it. It can fit in a garage nicely. And Im sure they are easy to tow with...

But I would also like a toy hauler if money no option.

technologic

Wife and I love our pop up. Never been in a "hi-lo" though. Our pup is pretty spacious inside and can sleep 7 to 9 pending on how cumfy you want to get. Cheap to buy, cheap to haul and somewhat easy to store. We have a king size bed on one side, a queen on the other and the couch & table can fold out to make a larger then king size bed. Storage can be as easy/hard as any other trailer but sometimes easier for the pup.

If we were to do something different we would investigate the 'hi-lo' but it would be pretty hard to move away from our pup!

Maintinance is a little differnet (higher) due to the canvess but not much. A little attention to calking, making sure it's dry when you pack it down and staying on top of mold is the most you need to keep attention to. Insurance is cheap to: like $50 full coverage for a year.

To each his own. I like spending time outdoors when I camp and don't need a home away from home. It's my cup of tea. My dad's 29' trailer seems to have less room then my pup because of all the walls and such. Seems more cramped. But it's quiter at night and don't have to worry about leaks for the most part and packing down wet canvess and poping it again to dry it out... Like I am doing this moment. Wet weekend here at our holloween camping excursion Friday and Sat.

Anyways, good luck on your search!

elf

Technologic
I agree with you, we loved our pop up. Once it was put up, there was a ton of room in it and we basically used it onl;y to sleep in. We figured camping was supposed to be doing things outdoors, not sitting in a camper. We are only getting rid of ours because our kids don't want to share the bunk on one end anymore and I hate the idea of setting up the couch or dinette for them. But, we didn't want to get the travel trailer either so we ended up buying a Hybrid. It's a Travelstar that has 3 beds that fold out from it, so everybody gets there own bed. We are also kind of looking forward to having a bathroom!

technologic

Ya - I can't for the life of me figure out why people spend the big bucks for the huge trailers and RV's only to sit and watch TV!? Don't get it. Anyways, they are enjoying themselves and so are we!

Those tables are a pain to collapse down into the bed. I been studying it for while to figure on an easier way. For now our two girls sleep on one side and the wife and I on the other. All is happy... so far.

115985.jpg

snowangel03

We have a 30ft 5th wheel and the only time we're in there watching TV is on weekends like this last one when it's 45 degrees and raining. I love our camper with it's satellite TV, hot water and everything else it has. We have been down to the Talladega Nascar Race, up to Northern Wisconsin and Michigan, and next year we plan to go to South Dakota! We started in a tent, then a pop-up, then a travel trailer and now our 5th wheel. I loved all of them and I have great memories of all of them.

115998.jpg

snowangel03

Here's our travel trailer that we had from 2003 to 2007. I'm dangerous now because I've learned how to upload pics, LOL!!!
116008.jpg

switch07

Snowangel03 I'm with you on comfort. We also started with a tent, popup, travel trailer, and finaly after the kids are gone we are with a 38 foot Montana 5th wheel. We love camping and sitting by the fire making smores and breathing in the smoke like all camping people. But when it is time for bed I crawl into a king size bed, flip on the direct tv, watch a race or the news and get a great nights sleep. The kids laugh and say thats not camping, but I beg to differ. What they really mean is why didn't you have this when we were growing up......LOL.

snowangel03

Switch07, exactly!!!

This weekend was so cold and rainy but we hadn't been to our camper in a couple of weeks so we went anyway. We spent Friday night inside watching TV, but on Saturday I went into town (Plymouth, IN) and did some shopping, got a tattoo (another story entirely) and then we were able to sit in front of a neighbors campfire for about an hour or so before the rain started again. We went inside of our neighbors "park model" and played cards until 4am!!! Always good times!!!!

And now with our children grown and with grandchildren it's even nicer to have the extra space.

38ft Montana? Do you have pics? Ours is a Montana Mountaineer. The only thing we would do different if we bought another one is have the "living area" in the back and the door in the middle. When we pull out the sofa for a bed, you have to step over the bed to get outside. Ah, the discomforts of camping, LOL!!!!

kevisip

Snowangel, I like your camper. Might be gettin one of dooz 5th (fit wheelerz) soon. They look so comfy. Some have fireplaces and granite counter tops. Its still fun even in the cold, as long as you have a cold beer, a fire, friends to celebrate with, and a wife to clean up the mess!
The camper show iz-a-comin!