Campers

technologic

Snowangel03 - HAHA, I have to admit the hard-sides at the campground we stayed at this past weekend did look inviting for sure! It was cold, wet and windy all weekend. Oh well, like I say your having fun and we are to. It's all good at a campground!

frnash

Now here's my idea of the ultimate 'go anywhere' camper: the EarthRoamer XV-LT.
However, my needs may be a bit different than yours, primary need is a self contained 'go anywhere' machine suitable for flying 'solo', with on board "rest room" facility (Darn prostate (BPH) business, anyway!), kitchen gear is handy too in order to avoid having to head into 'town' from da boonies for restaurant food.

One small benefit is that the camper heat, hot water, and stove all powered by safe and efficient diesel fuel, there are no propane tanks to deal with! See the Camper Appliances.

See also XV-LT Systems.

Note that the absence of a propane tank also eliminates the hassle experienced in traveling through some highway tunnels where propane tanks are not allowed.

The only real problem is the $250,000.00 price tag. I guess I'll have to win da Powerball lottery first, eh?

I will concede a small advantage that the fifth wheel and other 'detachable' campers have over a 'motor home' or other self-contained unit: Ya can leave 'em at your campsite when you need to head into town for groceries, etc. with your tow vehicle instead of having to abandon the campsite and drive off with the entire rig.

elf

We are eagerly awaiting our first trip in our new to us hybrid. It'll be nice to not only have hot water, a bathroom, and larger fridge, but to also still be sleeping under the canvas tent ends so it still feels like the pop up. Unfortuanetly, due to schedules and the weather up here in northern Minn, we propably won't get out until next spring.

switch07

We have our 5th wheel set up on a permanent site in Door county. My job consists of a lot of travel so this works out well for us. My wife is up at the camp while I am gone and all she has to do is turn on the water, push a button and the awning comes down, open the shed and take out the golf cart. We have a bar and fridge set up in the shed so that saves on wear and tear in the camper when we are going for drinks...LOL. We have a rear kitchen, center lounge, side isle upper with a large bathroom and shower combo and a king size bed. There are three slide outs, fireplace and tons of storage. On the out side compartment we have a 32" flat screen that we use for Nascar, Packer, Badger, and Brewer games, or the ocasional movie that we can watch from the camp fire or on the deck. To us this is camping.....no work just enjoy.
116188.jpg

kevisip

Switch, I love your set-up. Hopefully I am on my way to being trailer..well anyway. I love those 5th wheelers. Also, if you dont like your neighbor, you can just get up and leave.

snowangel03

Switch, how beautiful!!! What size/model is that? It looks huge!!! Do you have any pics of the inside? I really do love this way of "camping".

We are on a permanent site too. A shed with fridge and bar area. A golf cart too. Here is a pic of our camper with golf cart on our site.

116470.jpg

switch07

Snow... We don't have any pics of the inside, I guess we spend more time outside. It is a 2008 3585SA from Montana. 38 feet total length. If you go on the Keystone web site you can see the inside floor plan. The inside colors have the blue accents. We pull this monster with my Duramax, and to tell you the truth, it hardly knows its back there. 5th wheels pull so much better than trailers, it"s amazing. Our thirty foot travel trailer we pulled with the same truck was all over the place, even with anti sway gear. This year I had to miss the Hodag up north and my wife pulled the thing up and back with no problems.
Each year I try and improve on our site and next year I am remodeling the shed with finished walls and laminate flooring. As you can see from the pics it is kind of messy.
One of the nicest things about a perm site is watching the other campers setting up on Friday, and packing up to leave on Sunday. I do miss visiting other campgrounds, but with my job it is hard to make resevations so far in advance when I don't even know if I will be home. It is a big investment to leave parked at home. Now that the season is coming to and end, it will be time to put her to bed till next spring. Oh well, it will be time to play in the snow soon. It is great having two hobbies that are so much different, but so much fun. Time to THINK SNOW!
116485.jpg

snowangel03

Very nice set-up!!! I went on the Keystone sight and I like the floorplan!

Where in Door County are you? We were there in 2007 and we stayed at a campground in Sister Bay. I can't remember the name of it anymore. We pull our camper occasionally. We have friends that have property in Mauston, WI (near the Dells) and we spent some time there this year. We also went up to Mercer and the UP with it this year.

I am a chicken!! I haven't pulled it yet! I hate driving and pulling the sleds! Hubby tells me it's a piece of cake and I know I have to do it because I want to be able to go out west with it and I can't expect him to do all the driving.

It is nice with a summer and winter hobby!! Although we won't be doing much sledding this winter. We usually only get to go once or twice anyway but this year money is extra tight and we're planning a South Dakota trip with the camper next summer. Hopefully it will snow a ton here (I'm in the Chicago area - unfortunately). Then we can just trailer them about 30 minutes away and we'll be able to ride!!

switch07

We are at Quietwoods South near Brussels, only about 1/2 hr from home in Green Bay. We stay up during the week sometimes cause it is so close to work. There are 200 sites and about 80 of them are perm. We like it there.....works for us.

mjdeutsch

Camping is Awsome, we have a used 2006 30 foot bunkhouse travel trailer, when buying a used camper the big things are water leaks from inproper winterizing and leaky roofs. If you can tow it I would go with a regular travel trailer or fifth wheel. Newer pop ups are just as expensive and if it rains or is real cold it just a tent off the ground. Not very familier with the high low, but I would think the weather seal and mechanical lift could be a maintance issue. as far as wind while towing, i use the weight distrabution hitch and wind has never been a problem, if it is just slow down a little. Main thing is to spend w/i your means and enjoy your time with the family. ENJOY!!