Camping in the Porkies?

oktaneho

Taking the girlfriend camping next weekend and I was thinking about going to Porcupine Mountains State Park. I've only been there once in the summer and it was just a quick ride through on motorcycle. We are going to travel light, just bringing a tent in the car. We usually like to do some hiking, ride bicycles, and rent a canoe or kayaks and that makes for a full weekend. But we wouldn't be bringing our bikes and I don't see that there are any canoe rentals there. It looks like there is mainly just hiking trails and sight-seeing. If we don't want to just hike for 3 days straight are the Porkies a bad choice? Because I could take her to the Bayfield Peninsula in WI (Madeline Island?) where it seems there are more activities to do. Or am I over looking a bunch of stuff to do in the area in the summer? I'd like to go up to the Keweenaw but she doesn't want to spend the extra couple hours on the road each way.

cooksend

Nice campground at the South end and also the North along Lake Superior. The hiking can be somewhat difficult if you plan to base it on loops. Some of the shorter loops are over 12 miles in length. They are however very rewarding. Do a bit of research as there are camping cabins for those looking to venture on a 3 day pack trip!

ezra

deff a few more things for women to do in Bayfield.
both a long haul for more or less same scenery as the north shore. deff more to do along the north shore .they are doing cruses on the lake out of silver bay again best way to see the shore went last fall thought it was like 25 bucks for just under 3hr good size boat . with all the recent rain the falls should all be in full force

oktaneho

Thanks for the info guys. An illness in her family may prevent us from going anywhere this weekend, and if we do we may stay a little closer to home. I think I'll plan a Porkies trip a little farther in advance so we can reserve one of those rustic cabins (looks like they are reserved quite a bit ahead of time) and hike in to it.