Can am 900 Ace turbo....

srt20

Can am released their new maverick utv tonight. It has the 900 ACE 3 cylinder engine with a turbo. 154hp.

I figured some on here would be pumped to see that. Maybe for 18 in a sled....

momoney2123

Yes good to see for those interested in 4 stroke turbo doo. If they do come with it I bet it wont be until MY19 or 20. And they will need some more power to compete with the Yamaha, shouldn't be too difficult to get another 30 or so hp from it.

Hoosier

Yes good to see for those interested in 4 stroke turbo doo. If they do come with it I bet it wont be until MY19 or 20. And they will need some more power to compete with the Yamaha, shouldn't be too difficult to get another 30 or so hp from it.

Wouldn't a Doo 900 turbo be quite a bit lighter than the Yamaha?

momoney2123

Wouldn't a Doo 900 turbo be quite a bit lighter than the Yamaha?

I would assume, I don't know the official wet weight of the Yamaha, but it appears that cat chassis is much heavier than comparable doo and poo's.

Sounds like doo is waiting for the right time to release the turbo 4 stroke as we all know its ready and been ready, ya never know but they usually don't release things in back to back years. this year is the 850, I would assume they wait atleast 2 model years to drop the next Mach Z, just like in 2003 rev release and the 2005 Mach Z RT.

Hoosier

I would assume, I don't know the official wet weight of the Yamaha, but it appears that cat chassis is much heavier than comparable doo and poo's.

Sounds like doo is waiting for the right time to release the turbo 4 stroke as we all know its ready and been ready, ya never know but they usually don't release things in back to back years. this year is the 850, I would assume they wait atleast 2 model years to drop the next Mach Z, just like in 2003 rev release and the 2005 Mach Z RT.

If the turbo doesn't add much weight, that might be hard to beat. Would they still need the 1200? Of course I'd assume it would add $2,000 to the price.

momoney2123

If the turbo doesn't add much weight, that might be hard to beat. Would they still need the 1200? Of course I'd assume it would add $2,000 to the price.

I would assume 1200 would be gone unless the sled version has 180+hp.

The s x s is making 154hp at 7500 which is pretty low rpms, would prolly make a nice trail sled.

G

G

I have been trying to find out the weight of the new Sidewinder/T-Cat all summer. I know a lot of you guys don't care about weights and that is fine but I still consider weight to be a factor. Anyway, I can't find much. The motor/turbo/intercooler/can in the new Winder/Cat is heavy. That much is known. The more I read the heavier it seems to get. Although nobody is saying for sure. I don't think it will be anywhere near 525 lbs dry. The more I read the closer to 600 it seems to be getting. Which puts it within 60 lbs of an Apex. The power will mask the weight and the chassis of AC is superior to a Yami chassis but it is going to be heavy. Again some people won't care and it will be one heck of a trail cruiser. But now we have some sleds coming in at less than 500 lbs. To me light sleds are more fun to ride. You actually ride it instead of just sitting and pointing. To each his own. If 'Doo comes with their turbo I have no doubt it will weigh less than the new Winder/Cat. I just hope it doesn't fold up.

srt20

With no inter cooler the turbo system should weigh around 25-30 lbs. probably 5-7 lbs more for air to air cooler. Even more for water to air cooler, but I can't see them doing that on a 154 hp 4s.

What's a 900 ace weigh now?

Gotta be less than a 1200?

- - - Updated - - -

Plus the turbo has advantages at altitude...

Until it gets down in the 450lbs dry weight range, mtn guys aren't going go for it. And by the time they get it to 450, the 2s will be under 400 easy.

whitedust

150 4s hp fine with me in a doo chassis... it is not necessary for doo to chase Yamaha huge ponies in a trail sled for me to embrace it. Sidewinder & Tcat HP just not necessary for a trail sled. Yes you can use 180 - 200hp in mountains but not on trails.

Hoosier

With no inter cooler the turbo system should weigh around 25-30 lbs. probably 5-7 lbs more for air to air cooler. Even more for water to air cooler, but I can't see them doing that on a 154 hp 4s.

What's a 900 ace weigh now?

Gotta be less than a 1200?

- - - Updated - - -

Until it gets down in the 450lbs dry weight range, mtn guys aren't going go for it. And by the time they get it to 450, the 2s will be under 400 easy.

I think that 900 is quite a bit lighter than the 1200. I haven't ridden one yet - one of my relatives bought one at the end of the season last year, but it's supposedly feels a lot more like a 2 stroke than the other 4 strokes. If you put another 40 lbs on it with a turbo, I'd guess the weight advantage would be long gone.

momoney2123

Aftermarket turbos add around 20lbs on the 1200 doo, would assume it would be close on 900

I think the 900 is around 15lbs lighter than the 1200.

Still think it would be odd for doo to come with something far less HP wise to its competitor

There is no chance the sidewinder sniffs 525lbs. Iid guess dry is around 575. Well north of 6 wet.

momoney2123

Still think the 850 was designed with boost in mind

Maybe they go 900ace for trail guys, 850 for mountain

Maybe doo is listening, they have been active lately on dootalk, which has a loud voice of people crying for a turbo sled

G

G

Ultimate for weight and simplicity would be supercharged E-Tec. Light motor to begin with and not as much plumbing.

whitedust

Ultimate for weight and simplicity would be supercharged E-Tec. Light motor to begin with and not as much plumbing.

Sure for powder if the 850 can handle the stress. There are many of us asking for 150+ hp doo 4s trail sled enjoy the excellent light doo chassis in a a premium shocked trail sled. If Yamaha does not release said sled this year it prolly won't happen for them. Crying shame to lose all their 4s market to doo BUT no one can wait FOREVER!

Hoosier

Everyone is looking for the unicorn - lightweight, good performance, easy on gas, reliable for the long haul.

momoney2123

Sure for powder if the 850 can handle the stress. There are many of us asking for 150+ hp doo 4s trail sled enjoy the excellent light doo chassis in a a premium shocked trail sled. If Yamaha does not release said sled this year it prolly won't happen for them. Crying shame to lose all their 4s market to doo BUT no one can wait FOREVER!

Id bet Yamaha gained market share this year, the question is how much and is it worth it for doo to compete in the boosted thumper market or not. If I remember there was a warranty on all 2016 Cat 9000's turbo's. 1600 units. Im just not sure those type of numbers are intriguing enough for them to get in.

Also Doo has always claimed the guys that are hardest on engines and claim the most warranties were Mach Z guys, the same guys that would likely buy a boosted 4s....so will they take the chance or continue to stay focused on developing 2 strokes and NA ACE's.

whitedust

Everyone is looking for the unicorn - lightweight, good performance, easy on gas, reliable for the long haul.

Doo can give us 150ish 4s power easy in a trail sled. My doo dealer cam back from meetings upset it was not offered and other dealers disappointed as well...I think doo heard them both 4s super charger & turbo has been on the snow just a matter of doing it. 850 etec a good step for 2 smoker market but 4s market not addressed.... Yamaha and Cat all monster sleds no need for big hp for meat of 4s trail market. 130 not enough but 150 to 160 plenty for any trail sled.

whitedust

Id bet Yamaha gained market share this year, the question is how much and is it worth it for doo to compete in the boosted thumper market or not. If I remember there was a warranty on all 2016 Cat 9000's turbo's. 1600 units. Im just not sure those type of numbers are intriguing enough for them to get in.

Also Doo has always claimed the guys that are hardest on engines and claim the most warranties were Mach Z guys, the same guys that would likely buy a boosted 4s....so will they take the chance or continue to stay focused on developing 2 strokes and NA ACE's.

All my riding buds stepped back from Sidewinder just don't need monster sled but they hunger for an Apex replacement in 150 -160 hp zone & then there was the cat chassis thing not a big deal in my mind but to them no interest in a sled configured like that. These guys have big bucks just didn't care for Sidewinder holding out for 2018 break thru Apex replacement from Japan. If doo FINALLY address Apex market at 150-160 hp there will be converts from Yamaha...Poo no 4s not in the game so doo could steal the market from Yamaha with the right sled. 2018 do or die year for Yamaha & they know it.