Can Am "Learner Keys".

megan600

Can anyone tell me how bad (or good) the Can Am's are with the gray "learner key"? Heading back to the UP for a UTV trip in October, and this time am renting a Can Am Maverick 1000. Sounded great till I heard we only get the low performance key with it. I get their point...but also wondering just how good it will feel in the trails. Top speed is 45-47mph. Is it sluggish getting there? Or does it still pull the power, and just cuts off at those speeds? Options are limited on this trip, so I'm renting either way, but just wondering what to expect, or not expect. ;)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Have never used it on the Commander, but if no one chimes in by later today, I can give it a try and let you know.

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, got sidetracked by two beautiful blonds in the swimming pool last night. ;) So I did not do the test, but just got back from a test run and it does lower the performance both on acceleration and top speed. It does not make it a total pooch though. I was driving a Commander 1000 (4 seater) and it was just me and if I had never driven it before, I would not have complained about the performance with the gray key in. With that said, I would be lying to you if I said I did not notice a difference in the acceleration.

I guess the bottom line is, if it were me, I would still have about as much fun with the gray key as the black out in the woods. There are very few times I "hammer it" while on the trails in the woods. All of my testing today was done on a paved country road by my house, which is far more suitable for full throttle acceleration.

So I would not sweat it too much about having to use the gray key. Still some zip with it, just not as much as with the black key.

-John

megan600

HAHA I dont blame you one bit, you got some good looking blondes on your hands there ;)

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. You're right..many of the twisty trails really limit you on need to go WO anyways. We were just a little bummed when we realized the "1000" we were renting wouldn't compete with the 700 we were in last time. Guess we will just avoid some of the rail road grades and maybe we won't notice the limitations as much. lol

Any time spent on the trails, still beats time spent here at my desk. I'll take your advice and roll with it! thanks again for doing the test drive. Appreciate that honest feedback.
Megan