Can the trails survive a warm up????

tomcat

Hi all. Looking for some advice or insight from those currently in the Keweenaw. We have a group of 4 planning on coming up Tuesday and departing early AM Friday. Staying in Twin Lakes. I was optimistic with all the snow that has been received in the last couple weeks that we would have good early season conditions. I see now that they are talking a warmup into the mid 30s for a couple of days early in the week with some shots of rain. Is there a good enough base to withhold a brief warmup and rainfall or are we gambling. I'm the one who convinced the gang that we would have good conditions this early so don't want to be proven wrong? I have a 48 hr cancellation policy where we are staying so would like to pull the plug in the next couple hours if we are going to. There will be other opportunities for us this winter, just had the early season itch.

T- BONE

So I'm not up there now but I see one day of 34 deg and snow in the forecast this week, they are grooming so if it was me, id go for sure!

rich_jelinek

tomcat - let us know where you ride and what you find as far as good or bad. We're coming up there for Christmas and are hoping that it just keep getting better and better.

tomcat

Will do. Seems like there used to be more trail reports on here. Probably just not many out to give a review. I’ll do my best to follow up with a report.

eagle1

Close to 300 miles for weekend. All north of bridge. Conditions are fine. Yes there's rocks and gravel but nothing horrible. Yes you can ride up mountain. Plenty of snow not to over heat but thin enough to hear carbides at times. 17 was getting bit bare in open areas but again not horrible either.
We honestly did not hear anything good about south of bridge so we didn't go. Maybe grooming will catch up today though.
Maybe 5 trailers at Ramada right now. Riding again tomorrow.

rich_jelinek

Close to 300 miles for weekend. All north of bridge. Conditions are fine. Yes there's rocks and gravel but nothing horrible. Yes you can ride up mountain. Plenty of snow not to over heat but thin enough to hear carbides at times. 17 was getting bit bare in open areas but again not horrible either.
We honestly did not hear anything good about south of bridge so we didn't go. Maybe grooming will catch up today though.
Maybe 5 trailers at Ramada right now. Riding again tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated as far as what else you find, the forecast looks like a lil bit of snow up there every day this week so that should help.

thedoc

Nothing like pressuring your gang into going. If the snow aint deep, lets hope the windsor pours will be.

tomcat

Update. Got back last night and had a successful trip. Arrived to twin lakes later in the evening on Tuesday but still managed to put a few miles on.

After a late start on Wednesday we treked up trail 3/17 to Calumet for lunch at the Mexican Restaurant a couple blocks off the trail. From there set out to Eagle harbor as we always liked that bar there. Disappointed to arrive to find out it was closed. Finished the loop out of there back over to 3 and headed to lac la belle as we had always liked the Bear Belly as well. Majorly disappointed to find out that bar was closed as well. As we were counting on fuel at this location we were kind of pickled at this point. Fortunately for us the owner of the Bear Belly who lives next door was home and graciously turned on the pumps for us. I believe her name was Kathy. If you happen to read these Kathy thanks again! Verified with her and a phone call to the gay bar that the trail that connects lac la belle and gay was closed (133?) bummer as we wanted to run down to Gay. Decided to start heading back to twin lakes at this point so had to go back out the way we came. Trail 3/17 all the way back with some stops. Dinner in Mohawk at the light house inn was fantastic. The trail that cuts across to gay from phoenix I believe was roped off and closed. There is another trail north of there that cuts across to the east that had a closed sign on it as well. Pretty much eliminates any loops. I wish I had a trail map handy as I type this so I could give trail numbers! Trails for the most part were pretty good. There was some chopped out areas and thin areas but the groomers were doing the best they could with what they had.

The next day we decided to trailer to Phoenix and ride up to Copper Harbor, brockway etc. We had heard the previous day that the trail up to brockway was bad so we were kind of expecting the worst. These low expectations led us to being fairly impressed with the ride up and down. Lunch at the Mariner and then intended to head to the high rock look out. Never had a problem driving right there in the past but somehow managed to get all turned around this time and couldnt find it. Didnt matter much as we have all seen it plenty of times so we bolted west on 134/135? and headed back to 3 and down to phoenix. Again some good and some not so good. Nothing on rideable or horrible by any means. A couple water crossings that were not a big deal but kind of sneak up on you if you ride fast. Be aware of these hazards. Loaded back up and repositioned to twin lakes. Dinner at omers then back on the sleds to Mass City for a few games of pool. Trail was good on the way down and we hit it freshly groomed on the way back. Perfect and a great way to close out the trip.

We did try playing around off trail a little bit but the snow really isnt deep enough. Cant roll it over to carve very well and when you punch it you roost down to the dirt. Talked to a local guy that off trails and he said its 3 -4 feet deep were he goes. Im sure thats not right off the beaten path and we don't ever explore that far in.

All in all my thoughts are that it did the job to fill the early season itch. We were more disappointed in some of our favorite watering holes being closed than the snow conditions. The multiple trail closures really limited what you can ride. Ive never been a fan of just riding corridor all day and don't like to hit the same trails twice. This made it impossible. Most of these establishments will be opening after xmas. I belive bear belly on the 26th and I think eagle harbor inn is open this weekend. I have no idea when the closed trails will open. we didnt ride the freda loop or alston as we heard anything south of twin lakes was junk by several riders. Like I said, 3 from mass city to twin lakes on our way home thursday night was the best of the whole trip so the rest may not have been so bad. They do need more snow and it sounds like they are to get it. The groomers are running but they can only do so much with what is there. Hope this helps and stay safe!

rich_jelinek

Thanks for the report tomcat.

Were headed up to Calumet in a few hours for our xmas trip and have become used to the fact that some food/gas spots such as the Bear Belly and Eagle Harbor Inn ( which are two of our favorites also ) are closed or have pretty limited hours until after xmas. We just plan around that, but the REAL bummer to me is that at least two, now you mentioned a third, trails are closed and like you said, those are real nice loops to avoid having to run up and down 3 all day, are much more fun to ride, and like you said keeps you from having to ride the same trail over and over again. I sure hope they start getting some more snow, at least a lil bit to freshen things up, but I guess we'll just have to make the best of what it is. Seems like this winter is off to a marginal start as usual, and a couple weeks ago I didn't even think we'd be going so I should be happy we are going to be riding at all.

Think SNOW and Merry Christmas everybody !

robgoggins

Two of us are thinking of heading up to the Keweenaw peninsula around 12/30. Never been up there in winter, and never for snowmobiling. If we're just there for 48 hours, how do we go about: 1) finding out about the various snowmobile trails (I imagine there is something I can hunt down online and then print it out?); and 2) how do we know which trails are open for riding? All this talk about trails being closed makes me a bit nervous, as we won't have a lot of time to drive around looking for open trails.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Two of us are thinking of heading up to the Keweenaw peninsula around 12/30. Never been up there in winter, and never for snowmobiling. If we're just there for 48 hours, how do we go about: 1) finding out about the various snowmobile trails (I imagine there is something I can hunt down online and then print it out?); and 2) how do we know which trails are open for riding? All this talk about trails being closed makes me a bit nervous, as we won't have a lot of time to drive around looking for open trails.

Where are you planning on staying. If you don't know you need to figure out fast or you will have a hard time. Plus how many miles do you plan to ride per day?

robgoggins

Where are you planning on staying. If you don't know you need to figure out fast or you will have a hard time. Plus how many miles do you plan to ride per day?

Don't know yet. But when I search on AirBNB I see a number of options so I'm not overly worried about lodging - at least not yet. As for how many miles - no idea. We've only ridden out west and frankly I've never paid attention to how many miles we put on. I've mostly been thinking in terms of time. I'm guessing we'll have about 4 hours of riding time on day 1, and 8 hours on day two.

Thanks in advance for the help.