Captain's Choice Exhaust

700xcsp

I have a 21.5 FT Rinker with a 5.7, and was thinking about putting exhaust on it. Has anyone done it before? Did you do it yourself or have it done by a dealer? How much was it? Where can I get the parts from if I decide to do it myself? A buddy of mine had it done by Rinker and it cost him around $3000. That is a little too much money for me right now. I work for a Goodyear Hose company and have access to the hose but I would need all the electronics and elbows and everything else. Is their a kit I can buy somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

700xcsp

I thought about that but the wife thinks it will be too LOUD. Is there such a thing? So, the only way that she will "allow" me to put it on is if it can be switched back and forth, so she can still have the "Girl chit chat time".
Thanks for the website I will check it some more and see what other ideas I get.

Anyone else have any ideas. Is Eric Kohler still around. I thought he worked at a boat shop and maybe he would know.

Dave_B

If you really want a change, I would just go thru hull. It won't be too loud if you're in the boat and she can't chit chat WOT. If she can, you've got bigger problems. :) Do you have a swim platform? If mounted below, you will not have a problem. The Captains Choice is cool but way too expensive for a mod on your boat.
Just my .02

700xcsp

I will look into the through hull exhaust and see what the cost difference is. After doing some searching and reading your replies, that may be the right way to go. Thanks for the input.

wilson

i've installed a couple dozen capt'n choice when i worked at the dealer, the first couple were kind of scary, but after that nothing too them, keep in mind you only get one chance to drill the holes through the transom right...make sure you seal the wood around the holes...you might have to relocate stuff that is mounted on the transom in the engine compartment...it is a nice system, quiet when you come in late at night...measure everything 10 times, then measure again... make sure you have room for everything including the exhaust tips, if they are close to the water line make sure you have flaps on them too prevent water ingestion when you come off plane real quick!

bgruschy

I'd go witht the choice, not just through hull, it's nice to be able to be quiet. Be warned it is illegal in MN to run capt's choice with no mufflers. I know it's done all the time, I have it on my cobalt, but I know guys that have got tickets on the river for capt's choice.... From the MN boating laws... Not sure what IL says.

MUFFLERS/NOISE LIMITS
All watercraft motors must have a muffler, underwater
exhaust, or other device that adequately
suppresses the sound of the motor.
It is unlawful to modify, equip, sell or operate a
motorboat (except under a permit from the county
sheriff or U.S. Coast Guard) that exceeds the levels
noted in the table below. It is also illegal to have an
altered muffler, muffler cutout, muffler bypass, or
any other device designed or installed so that it can
be used to continually or intermittently bypass any
muffler or muffler system, or to reduce or eliminate
the effectiveness of a muffler or muffler system.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Why dump 3 grand into a 21 Rinker . I don't mean to discourage but it is a total waste of money. Sell the boat toss in the 3 grand and buy a Sea Ray. Problem solved.

Last edited:

700xcsp

The boat is exactly what the wife and I were looking for when we bought it 5 years ago. I really hate to sell it just to get a boat that has an exhaust. I also DO NOT want a SEA RAY. Everyone has their preferences on boats, just like cars and snowmobiles and four wheelers, and etc. My preference is Rinker, right now. I have had nothing but good luck with the 3 that I have owned and that is why I am thinking about keeping this one and MAYBE dumping some CASH into it at the end of the year. I was just asking if anyone has put them in before and where I can go and get the parts to do it.

700xcsp

Nothing is wrong with it. You just can't hear it. Just a normal boat exhaust, and thought I would spruce it up a bit and add some music to it while I am WOT.

bgruschy

If you are happy with the boat, then I'd say go for it, you should be able to do it for way under 3k if you work on it. There's a lot of value in being happy with what you have....

polarisrider1

If you are happy with the boat, then I'd say go for it, you should be able to do it for way under 3k if you work on it. There's a lot of value in being happy with what you have....

very true! 3 grand is a lot of money for a cool sound, but in todays economy it is not something I would do. But again, if it is what you want and momma don't have to go without, than go for it! It is a sweet looking boat if it's the one pictured in 700xcsp summer rides post.

700xcsp

That is the one. Thanks for all the input and now it is time to rack my brain and figure out what I should do. If I could find all the parts for a reasonable price then I would do it in a heart beat, but all the kits I see are around $1700. That is not bad considering my buddy just spent $2800 getting his installed from Rinker. I did find soome for around $1200, but I don't think it came with everything you needed. It looked like it just supplied you with the chrome elbows/tees and the electronics, which is fine because I sell the hose and can get that for free, but then needed to buy the tips and some other things for it. I will continue shopping and pricing, and when I find the right kit for the right price then I will jump on it.

Thanks again for all the comments, options and opinions.

racerx

We really enjoy the Corsa CAPTAIN'S CALL that we had our our Stingray. Even tho it was a smallblock 350MAG I always got a lot of compliments on the sound of it. It was definitely wife friendly and it was always the joke with her friends that when the boat got loud it was time to get the butts of the sunpad and in the seats as the boat was getting ready to plane, I never had to say "get ready".

It may be a pain getting this accomplished but you will like the results.

And Yea I was one of those "illegals" running in MN waters, I just had to watch it...

bgruschy

I'd make sure you end up with good quality stainless parts, it's a pretty harsh enviroment, I would skimp a few hundered on the hardware. As a side note, we had a water pump failuer on our cobalt a number of years ago, the exhaust got hot enough to start the rubber boots on fire, I could not find the correct replacement rubber boots and ended up using fernco fittings from a hardware store ( used for connecting cast iron plumbing pipes) I said it was just temporary, 8 years ago, they still are fine.

wags

What year is the boat?

If you are looking to only increase your proformance then simply cut and or remove your exhaust bellows thus dropping some of the back pressure. There is a boot system which allows your exhaust to go thru your lower unit and out the prop when trimmed down but then when trimmed up it exhausts out into the water thus losing some of the restriction thru the lower unit which increases proformance

This is purely the poor mans way to increase performance.But if your looking for the rumble then captains call is the way to go.

You may want to go to: http://www.funonthefox.com and ask the same question they are very knowledgeable over there.

Another place that may have some used but clean parts you may need is: http://www.funonthefox.com they strip junk.scraped boats and sell parts.
Another possible source: http://kendormarine.com
Yet another source that sometimes has such parts is:http://www.tanglewoodmarine.com