car vs jeep question

REVVERUP

Hey guys,

I'm in college and my mom is selling her car 05 Ford Taurus, and she'll give me an awesome deal on it ~3 grand, it has 96,000 miles. I'll probably be selling my 98 Jeep Wrangler if I get this, which is blue booked at 6,000. I'm just looking to save money in gas. I know the initial 3 grand will hurt, but I'll break even at 10,000 miles. What would you guys do? I don't know how I'll sled next year! I'm gonna see if i can hopefully hold on to my Jeep for as long as possible.

indy_500

Me/my sister's car is an 03 Ford Taurus. Our tranny went out at 96k miles (no joke) we get 22 mpg (sadly). I don't see it as much of a gas saver, maybe hers gets better? It now has 101k. They're fairly reliable, but if you google transmission problems, they're quite common. They're safe cars and handle quite good in the winter though. If you really don't need the jeep and can get 5 grand for it, then you made 2 grand on the deal and will probably get a few mpg better. This can go either way. We paid $3500 for ours, and cost $1500 to get tranny replaced. We thought we got a "good deal" but $5k for it is probably blue book.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Hey guys,

I'm in college and my mom is selling her car 05 Ford Taurus, and she'll give me an awesome deal on it ~3 grand, it has 96,000 miles. I'll probably be selling my 98 Jeep Wrangler if I get this, which is blue booked at 6,000. I'm just looking to save money in gas. I know the initial 3 grand will hurt, but I'll break even at 10,000 miles. What would you guys do? I don't know how I'll sled next year! I'm gonna see if i can hopefully hold on to my Jeep for as long as possible.

Tell us more about the jeep!

saber

Keep the Jeep. what you are not thinking of is resale a year or 2 down the road when your out of college. The Jeep will still be worth something.

edmarino

Let me get this straight you are in college, I'll assume full time, which means you may have a partime job. Who is paying your college expenses? You are there on a full scholarship. So you have money to burn. For some reason I don't think so. I would say forget it and be thankfull what you currently have.

REVVERUP

I'm keeping the Jeep, for a while yet. I do go wheeling, and I'll miss that wayy too much to give it up.

I am in college full time, I have a couple part time jobs, college expenses are being taken care of by loans, all in my name. I'll have to pay back after graduation.

booondocker

Then this means that you have no extra money to buy a car with, since you are tabbing up on student loans. Those loans mount up fast, and if there is nothing wrong with the jeep, why are you in need of a car? Do you mean to sell the jeep and buy the car and NOT take out loans for the amount you saved by selling the jeep?

The less you have to pay when you get out of that den of inequity, the better off you will be. Those loans hurt a ton for a long enough period of time without maxing them out each semester buying electives.

You can't shuck the loans off like many used to, because you can't go thru bankruptcy and remove them. And the interest mounts to amazing percentages soon after you get out.

So do yourself a favor and don't spend it if you don't have it. You will thank me for that advice some day as you FINALLY pay that loan off. Don't starve to death, but don't use a nickle more than you need to in order to get done.

REVVERUP

Right, I would've bought the car to save on gas, and then be ahead roughly 2 grand (hopefully).

The interest rates are actually super low since the Federal Gov't took over. I have one loan at 1.## %. It's not too bad, but yeah after several years they do rack up.

The entire reason of buying the car would be to give me some extra money so I have some money to fall back on if necessary. I'm just going to keep the Jeep for a while though.

shoelessjoe

My wife drives an 03 Sable. It's a nice car, drives nice and run's good. We have had some nickel and dime issues with it (a sensor in the AC went and it needed plugs/wires at 95k) but it's been a pretty good car I guess. We are going to be getting her a new Explorer so the Sable will probably be my new commuter so the F-250 can rest a bit.

1blue99srx600

KEEP THE JEEP! Coming from someone who drove see below and now drives a Focus, there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss my Jeep. I got rid of it because I drove 60 miles round trip to work and was putting a lot of gas in it. Now I work from home and hardly drive anywhere and it kills me!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 13

polarisrider1

Keep the jeep and drive it like a car. (keep it on pavement) You don't have money to fix what you break taking it "off road". If Mom gives you the car, then i would take it and store your jeep if you can. The extra money from the sale of your jeep to buy her car will disappear so fast, you will feel like it was an even trade and then you will be pretty un happy. Been there done that.

REVVERUP

I'm itchin' to take the top off now, I can't sell it.. I live right by campus. I'm a little worried about things being taken out of it, but I learned the hard way... don't keep anything worth any money in your Jeep.

If I take the top off once this summer I'll be set on keeping it all summer!