carbide help

bignate29

i have a 2005 ski doo gsx 600sdi with dual runner skis, 6in carbides on the outside and 4in on the inside. the problem that i am having is that the front half of them is wearing 2x faster than the rear. any thoughts or suggestions would be great

russholio

i have a 2005 ski doo gsx 600sdi with dual runner skis, 6in carbides on the outside and 4in on the inside. the problem that i am having is that the front half of them is wearing 2x faster than the rear. any thoughts or suggestions would be great

I have the same sled myself. I got rid of the Precisions a while ago in favor of Slydogs, but I know that isn't what you're asking. It does sound as if you're a candidate for shimming the skis. Put your shims on the bottom rear of the boot under the spindle. That will force the front of the ski up, which will move the pressure point further back. Like the previous poster said, go to http://www.bergstromskegs.com/ for more info. If you're experiencing darting (which I suspect you are, with that kind of wear pattern), you'll find this technique goes a long way toward eliminating most of it.

Last edited:
As sugested go to Bergstoms web site and check the imfo on shimming the skis and then either get or make the shims, install them, and i would also sugest you put 6in on inside and 4in on outside.This is a common problem and a common solution that works.You can also go to doo talk and do a search on the ski shim subject for further verification.

bignate29

sounds like bergstoms is the answer. good thing theyre only 20 minutes from me. will 6 and 4 inches be enough even if i have a 1.25 track and 96 studs down the
middle

russholio

If you NEED carbides, Bergstroms are among the best and I'd recommend them (I'd say 6" and 4" would be good for your setup -- it's identical to mine and that's what I'd run if I had dual runners, but there are other variables). If you don't need carbides, do as Whitedust suggested and just shim them. You can make your own, or Bergstrom may even send you some for free.

Skidooski

sounds like bergstoms is the answer. good thing theyre only 20 minutes from me. will 6 and 4 inches be enough even if i have a 1.25 track and 96 studs down the
middle

I have an 04 Rev SDI with 96 down the middle. 6" carbides on the inside, 4" on the outside. Works just fine for me, no handling problems at all.

hednup2

I am not bashing Bergstrom's or his idea but I replaced both of my sleds (dual carbides) with a set of his single carbides (his thoughts on dualy's) unexceptable, my god I couldn't believe the darting problems we had with em, I used the shims then took em out no difference, I tried my darndest to make these carbides work, spent all of last winter season adjusting front shocks (more spring pressure to no pressure, limiter strap adjustments etc to make em work but nothing changed, Posted my problem on this forum & got many, many, ideas on how to fix it (thanks to the guys who tried to help) I mean the darting was unbelivable didn't want to go past 30 mph cause of the sever darting issues. Went back to the dooly's & the darting issuse faded away. Just my 2 cents

jccams

I am not bashing Bergstrom's or his idea but I replaced both of my sleds (dual carbides) with a set of his single carbides (his thoughts on dualy's) unexceptable, my god I couldn't believe the darting problems we had with em, I used the shims then took em out no difference, I tried my darndest to make these carbides work, spent all of last winter season adjusting front shocks (more spring pressure to no pressure, limiter strap adjustments etc to make em work but nothing changed, Posted my problem on this forum & got many, many, ideas on how to fix it (thanks to the guys who tried to help) I mean the darting was unbelivable didn't want to go past 30 mph cause of the sever darting issues. Went back to the dooly's & the darting issuse faded away. Just my 2 cents

Really....I switched from duals to Bergstroms 6" triple point singles with ski savers and shims and would never go back. Handles excellent, turns on a dime no more darting than I had with the duals. Guess there's always exceptions.

hednup2

Checked ski alignment like as stated (I tried to make this work) most horrible ride I've ever had on a sled I will never go back.

russholio

Checked ski alignment like as stated (I tried to make this work) most horrible ride I've ever had on a sled I will never go back.

Didn't mean to aim that at you, just making a general comment. If it didn't work, it didn't work....gotta go with what does!

G

G

Thera are a lot of ball joints on a snowmobile steering system and they use the cheapest ones they can find from the factory. Even after 1000 miles there gets to be a lot of slop. If you ever get into a toe in condition weird things will happen. When I align my skis I do so with a tarp tie stretched between the ski loops to make sure that any slop will result in a toe out rather than a toe in condition. That being said some sleds work better with singles and some work better with duelies. Just the way it is.