Carbide lessons

Cirrus

A few years ago, there was another long discussion about the best carbides, and of course as is always the case, Bergstrom Triple Points were at the center of the conversation.
I know there were several people on here who said this, but I'm going to give credit to Greg Cook, because I distinctly recall him telling me this when I was buying a sled from him.

We were coming across our lake yesterday on the way home, and I have section of pier that remains in place due to very low water, and we get up on it, and go up to the garage.
Well our bay has major springs in it, and obviously current, and even though we had major cold before the snow came, we still get crazy water/slush as you approach shore.
Riding with the son, he egged me on to cross the lake, so even though I knew I shouldn't have, here I was zooming toward the pier, with him in tow.

I hit the pier and got up no problem, because I have a new sled with stock carbides on it. I look back from the top of the hill, and here he is off the dock, touching a metal dock post.
I'm like, WTH...don't you know how to ride? My first thought was, he took out the suspension by hitting the post, but nope - no damage. We got it back on the pier, and he couldn't keep it straight. Kept falling off.

So after waking up this morning, I had a thought. Got dressed, (22 below mind you), walked down to the lake to see where he hit the dock end, expecting to see triple point pieces. Nope - nothing.
Good news...so I head to the garage, put the skis on a wood block, pull out the blow dryer, and sure enough....BOTH triple points are a BLOCK OF ICE....no carbide showing.
Try turning a sled on a block of ice.

So to all you people who were critical of Berg Triple Points because they are prone to icing up, I now have 1st experience with this. Lesson learned.
Greg's a pretty smart, experienced guy...haven't seen him around here lately.

old abe

Wasn't Greg at Track Side? My choice hands down, and have been for many years are Accord Racing, Snow Studs Magnum series skags. Imo, unmatched performance, and durability!

xcr440

Stud Boy 9" Deuce - once you install them you'll never replace them. Put on over 7000 miles on two different sleds, still look plenty good, and never iced up.

wfd123

Greg was at Trackside. He moved when new owners took over. Still selling boats and a ton of used sleds at powersports because they are not a OEM snowmobile dealer. Knows his stuff.

old abe

Greg was at Trackside. He moved when new owners took over. Still selling boats and a ton of used sleds at powersports because they are not a OEM snowmobile dealer. Knows his stuff.

Yes Greg is a guy in the know for sure!

whitedust

Use snow trackers next step up from Triple points. Never ever heard of icing with aggressive snow trackers. I’ve seen icing with Duallys on 107 common snow conditions but iced and caused big time push. It happens.

old abe

Use snow trackers next step up from Triple points. Never ever heard of icing with aggressive snow trackers. I’ve seen icing with Duallys on 107 common snow conditions but iced and caused big time push. It happens.

Agree! Yes Duallys can be dangerous in certain conditions.