Carbides - SnowTrackers vs. Woody's Dooly's

Cirrus

Want to try something different, was set to go with SnowTrackers until I read the stories about people getting thrown off their sleds when the carbides bite in certain conditions.
Anybody experience this problem with Snow Trackers? For the price, you better not be left wanting something better.

dfattack

I have been using snowtrackers for over 10 years now on every sled I have owned. I occasionally try the "new" stock ski carbide that's supposed to be the latest and greatest and quickly go back to snowtrackers after one ride. I personally have never experienced getting thrown off but someone on here has who was right behind me. He was new to snowtrackers and we crossed a hidden rail bed and I should have given him a heads up. My fault. Since I know of that potential I approach RR tracks perpendicular and therefore no problem.

You are going to find people that absolutely love them and some that have opinions but have never tried them and then even more that simply don't like them even after trying them out. Like everything lots of differing opinions but I"m in the group that loves them.

Just got back from a quick 50 mile ride with my son while he's breaking in his new 2021 XRS Renegade with Pilot TX...all stock. So far so good according to him, but will see tomorrow when we go on a longer ride.

Not sure if that helps. Nothing to lose by trying them out.

Cirrus

Thanks for the input Abe and DFA...I'm leaning toward the SnowTrackers, as I think of Woody's stuff as not necessarily high end product. When I've used them in the past, they wear quickly.
I read up on the Accord Snow Stud Magnum.

dfattack

Thanks for the input Abe and DFA...I'm leaning toward the SnowTrackers, as I think of Woody's stuff as not necessarily high end product. When I've used them in the past, they wear quickly.

I read up on the Accord Snow Stud Magnum.
I will say that you should get several years and in my case a couple thousand miles on the Snowtrackers. You will replace them less often than other brands.

i have 7 apexs
all have aggressive snowtrackers
just ordered 2 more sets
read all the instructions on how to adjust the suspension or they may give you a bad jerk
lighten front springs
let limiter out 1 hole
adjust front skid spring tighter
set toe zero, most are out 1/2 "
and play with it till you get it handling to your satisfaction
my buddy hates them but he made no adjustments on his apex
i tried slim jims (duallies) last trip but took them right back off
oh and my wife rides every were with me and wont ride wo them
2700 miles this year so far

Last edited:

dfattack

Following instructions that come with the Snowtrackers is very important. I think many who try them and don't like them didn't bother following the directions with ski pressure an aligning the skis

whitedust

We loved aggressive snow trackers on single keel Yamaha skis with eps. A good 5K miles per pair on rails ,no push ,no dart. The railroad tracks dfattack mentioned were virgin raw out in the woods railroad tracks and yes presented an unexpected off for me never saw them in the dark. But no damage me or the sled had sixsixone one on more surprised than anything else. Only problem I ever had with STs and my fault. Follow set up directions and you will be fine. Others that had problems don’t know how to set up sleds had way too much pressure on the skis probably due to ineffective prior carbides. STs are great carbides for single keel skis.

Cirrus

I'm not a fan of making adjustments other than weight related for "sit in" sag, and on trail clickers. That's why I wanted to go away from Bergstrom's with their remove ski, shim ski, put in plastic block under rubber, reinstall, at an hour a ski. Not a wrench guy. Sounds like a horse-a-piece regarding adjustments between SnowTrackers and Triple Points. May just stick with what I know.

dfattack

I don't adjust the strap on my sleds with snowtrackers. The only thing I do is make sure skis are parallel. This can be done by a shop or in your garage. there are a few you tube videos explaining how to do it. It's not that big of a deal

whitedust

I'm not a fan of making adjustments other than weight related for "sit in" sag, and on trail clickers. That's why I wanted to go away from Bergstrom's with their remove ski, shim ski, put in plastic block under rubber, reinstall, at an hour a ski. Not a wrench guy. Sounds like a horse-a-piece regarding adjustments between SnowTrackers and Triple Points. May just stick with what I know.
Take the smart route order the aggressive snow trackers , make an appointment with Pats have them do the installation and set up ,then ride out out Pats in an hour. Tweak when you get home. Then take phone photos of all settings and you are all set for the next 5,000 miles when you switch out for new. That’s what we did and shared photos with buds with like sleds all set up the same. Once the STs are installed it’s just basic understanding of your sled shocks. From where you live a pleasant ride to Pat’s in an hour. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Where you live I would want peak handling well worth the time and money.

Cirrus

If I can get by without adjusting limiter strap, and only front shocks, and rear/center shock to change ski-pressure, I'm considering the SnowTrackers.
Greg at TS told me to primarily adjust ski pressure with that center shock in back of the seat. (Pro-S) That has worked well so far.

whitedust

If I can get by without adjusting limiter strap, and only front shocks, and rear/center shock to change ski-pressure, I'm considering the SnowTrackers.
Greg at TS told me to primarily adjust ski pressure with that center shock in back of the seat. (Pro-S) That has worked well so far.

Always adjust ski pressure first with center shock. Harder center shock softer ski pressure ,softer center shock more ski pressure. I wouldn’t do anything with the limiter strap using STs you want full travel of your suspension so have all the way loose. If riding 800, 850 hp engines always purchase aggressives. Some people think I’m not a aggressive rider I won’t buy aggressives then soon learn less aggressive STs just a marketing term give you less bite and less control. Lol imo Aggressives STs the best single keel steering system on the market. Last time I bought STs I talked to a gentleman in ME for STs and he was extremely helpful. I think he was setting up USA distribution at the time. I can look for that name and number if you need it but was 3 years ago. I was a long time Bergstrom triple point user but when something better finally comes along you should try it. For my group of buds they will never give up there STs just nothing lacking in any condition best steering control ever!

2TrakR

What's the opinion, for those running them, on snow trackers in less than ideal conditions, say southern WI on a warm day where it smells like arc-welding as you are running across a dry paved overpass? Or running a route where you have one ski on some snow and the other on dry pavement..

Not so much, will they last, but how do they handle and react to those sort of conditions.