Cats New Motor

mezz

Cat has released a teaser on a new Catalyst Motor. An 858, what say you procrastinators?

old abe

Playing catch up with the rest, with Semi Direct injection as is Poo's. I was hoping for a Direct Injection engine.

favoritos

The exhaust valve setup is interesting.
I'm a little surprised that they did so much to this motor. It sounds like the motor has been compacted down quite a bit to sit low and tight. The intake/reed setup is different and the motor mount design sounds like it is purpose fit just for the chassis.
I will admit being it was hard to believe claims of the motor being lighter until seeing the reveal.

I wouldn't mind banging around with one of these things for awhile to see how they hold together. I bet the low mounting will feel good for handling.

old abe

The exhaust valve setup is interesting.
I'm a little surprised that they did so much to this motor. It sounds like the motor has been compacted down quite a bit to sit low and tight. The intake/reed setup is different and the motor mount design sounds like it is purpose fit just for the chassis.
I will admit being it was hard to believe claims of the motor being lighter until seeing the reveal.

I wouldn't mind banging around with one of these things for awhile to see how they hold together. I bet the low mounting will feel good for handling.
Modular design for purpose! Perfect, no shoehorned misfit.

euphoric1

Playing catch up with the rest, with Semi Direct injection as is Poo's. I was hoping for a Direct Injection engine.
may be playing catch up but I thought between the chassis, the lighter weight higher horsepower engine with some other technology innovations IMO they not only caught up but surpassed and its obvious they intend to stay on the market unless some unforeseen problems, me.... im hoping it was truly "worth the wait"

old abe

may be playing catch up but I thought between the chassis, the lighter weight higher horsepower engine with some other technology innovations IMO they not only caught up but surpassed and its obvious they intend to stay on the market unless some unforeseen problems, me.... im hoping it was truly "worth the wait"
Yes, but a DI engine would have put the frosting on the cake for sure.

euphoric1

for the ponies the 600 is putting out I'm sure the 858 will be impressive, not to mention how low that thing is slung in the chassis, more than the ponies I want to ride the catalyst, i'll bet that thing handles insanely well, they may be behind but I'm betting this is something the rest will have to catch up to. so much for the doom and gloom LOL

old abe

When I bought a new 18 in 2019, and retired my 2006, I definitely noticed a difference in packing for trips without having to pack spare parts...
Yeah, well, that's right Hoosier, but at least we had the main "part"! That is the snow to ride on!