Caution on Trail 8 near Munising

megan600

I realize I may be a little late to catch those already headed north, but none the less....please use caution on trail 8 west of where it crosses 94. This is between 94 and where 7 heads north towards Christmas. There is a LARGE hole there and no warning sign. This dip is about 20ft deep. I rode with a young gentleman last week that forgot about the hill and crashed badly. Needed taken out by ambulance. In my talking with others about his accident I've learned of one other sled being totalled there that day, and a few others that got pitched off.

Ive traveled this area many times, and know that hill is there but it is easy to forget about with the steep hill sign now being removed. I've done my best to contact MSA/DNR and other outlets to report the problem, but until this is fixed please be very cautious and spread the word to others in your group.

Happy riding, be safe!

buddah2

Unfortunately that "dip" has been there for as long as I've been living/riding here. I'm actually surprised there's not more people hurt there. That said I'm going to guess one of the contributing factors will be listed as "excessive speed".

D

Deleted member 10829

There are certain areas that common sense needs to be used and leave up the signs. This seems like a classic example of that! Trail #3 near Mass City also has a stretch with 3 large dips that can sneak up on a person and can be very dangerous. They took the steep hill ahead signs out there too. Not smart IMO.

Thanks for the heads up!

favoritos

There are certain areas that common sense needs to be used and leave up the signs. This seems like a classic example of that! Trail #3 near Mass City also has a stretch with 3 large dips that can sneak up on a person and can be very dangerous. They took the steep hill ahead signs out there too. Not smart IMO.

Thanks for the heads up!
X2

It is tough when you can not see the big dips on the trail. The rest of the trail looks pretty good for nice run.

Megan600 thanks for the heads up on that spot. We are hoping to get some longer trips into that region.

megan600

Just got word that a stop sign has been put up there. Thanks to the DNR for listening to concerns. Great for u to assume excessive speed. Hit the hole at 50 and u will have bad results as well. Ive been riding there for years, but once in a while it slips ur mind... And new comers to the area wouldn't know what to expect.
Safe riding!

agriffinjd

Just got word that a stop sign has been put up there. Thanks to the DNR for listening to concerns. Great for u to assume excessive speed. Hit the hole at 50 and u will have bad results as well. Ive been riding there for years, but once in a while it slips ur mind... And new comers to the area wouldn't know what to expect.
Safe riding!

Kudos to the DNR x2. Nice to know they have some common sense people working. That seemed like the worst place to remove a caution sign. I think a stop sign makes complete sense; it could kill someone it's so bad.

Pizza Man

I've been riding up there since 1982.
Always knew after the first ride that the big dip was there.
Sure glad that the DNR had enough sense to put up a stop sign .

groomerdave

Rode through there yesterday and stop ahead / stop signs were places on both ends. Glad to see this, bad spot. Do you know how that kid is doing? I was the one that called 911.
Think Snow -Dave

I realize I may be a little late to catch those already headed north, but none the less....please use caution on trail 8 west of where it crosses 94. This is between 94 and where 7 heads north towards Christmas. There is a LARGE hole there and no warning sign. This dip is about 20ft deep. I rode with a young gentleman last week that forgot about the hill and crashed badly. Needed taken out by ambulance. In my talking with others about his accident I've learned of one other sled being totalled there that day, and a few others that got pitched off.

Ive traveled this area many times, and know that hill is there but it is easy to forget about with the steep hill sign now being removed. I've done my best to contact MSA/DNR and other outlets to report the problem, but until this is fixed please be very cautious and spread the word to others in your group.

Happy riding, be safe!

Polarice

I'm glad they did something. This is just one example of the pitiful intelligence behind removing signs. Fortunately in this case they are doing the right thing. Playing by their own rules and not adding the same sign that was there. Unbelievable.

buddah2

.....Great for u to assume excessive speed. Hit the hole at 50 and u will have bad results as well.

Don't misconstrue what I said. I said I would suspect it will be written up in the troopers report as "excessive speed" being a contributing factor. Bottom line is you can see the depression in the trail from quite a ways away.

I don't know about you but I slow down for such animals after wrecking my right knee in 2003 when a bridge collapsed in the bottom of such a valley right after we passed a groomer coming toward us. Never "assume" anything about a valley or bridge is what I was implying.

whitedust

Thanks for the heads up!

Don't know if we are are talking about the same trail 3 section in Mass City but I think there are a lot more than just 3 dips in that area. I can see them well & don't remember the prior signage but always time them to launch off for grins & giggles. Don't need to be going fast thru their more timing than speed.

favoritos

Don't know if we are are talking about the same trail 3 section in Mass City but I think there are a lot more than just 3 dips in that area. I can see them well & don't remember the prior signage but always time them to launch off for grins & giggles. Don't need to be going fast thru their more timing than speed.
The section that Mspease is referring to is right along the road. I tried to google map the section, but I honestly do not know which road is along there.(I only travel around by sled in that area) Coming out of Rockland going east along 3 you stop for the private ranch and then soon cross the highway. Watch out after you cross that highway. There are 4 dips in a row and 3 are bad enough to cause some damage. You can not easily see them.

pinestump

A friend of mine was around that area a last weekend and his son crashed bad in that area and is still in Marquette last I heard but improving.
He is a very good rider and so is his dad and they have ridden that area for several years as his family works and lives in Munising and area. SH ings

mjkaliszak

There is another dangerous place down by Cadillac. It's where one of the trails crosses over 55. I left the group last Saturday night. Sunday morning , they were out riding, the leader didn't see the stop sign tucked in behind some tree's and locked his sled up sideways upon seeing the highway. He was thrown out into the road, broke his humeuous, and shoulder socket in 3 places.
Pretty sure ( but not positive ) there used to be a stop ahead sign in that area. It's located around the powerline section between Caddy & Wellston. Just a heads up, he was knocked out and him & his sled were thrown out into the highway.
Yes going too fast probably but there are a couple places where if you don't know the area, you find yourself looking at 55 unexpectantly.

whitedust

The section that Mspease is referring to is right along the road. I tried to google map the section, but I honestly do not know which road is along there.(I only travel around by sled in that area) Coming out of Rockland going east along 3 you stop for the private ranch and then soon cross the highway. Watch out after you cross that highway. There are 4 dips in a row and 3 are bad enough to cause some damage. You can not easily see them.

Yep that is where I remember the dips but I have known about them for many years but to a newbie it would be different.

D

Deleted member 10829

Not only newbies

Yep that is where I remember the dips but I have known about them for many years but to a newbie it would be different.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine that has ridden that trail since 1993 and can ride circles around most of us, hit one of those wrong and was thrown from the machine. The trail had not been groomed and the bottom of the dip had a big 2 foot mogul that was nasty! And that's when there were warning signs. The trail looks like a long straight away and then all of a sudden there is a big dip.

Maybe 5 years ago or so another bad wreck happened on those dips and the guy had to be taken out by ambulance. Does anyone remember that?