CFR 800 Turbo Kit for a flatland rider? Good or Bad idea.

SLEDNECK#1

Hi guys i was thinking about puting a turbo kit on my 2010 CFR 800 and was wondering if it would be worth the money and if it would work on trails. I ride about 75% trails and 25% off and would just like to hear a little input on the positives, negatives and if it would work for my riding style.
Thanks, Nick

thebreeze

I don't think it is a good option if you intend to use if for any type of conventional trail riding. You certainly can brap, brap, brap, brap one down a trail and keep the motor togeather, but hold it at mid throttle for a 1/2 mile straight, and you will be installing a new top end at the least. In addition, you will not be fueling your sled throughout the day for the pump at gas stations. Your going to be mixing pump with race gas, or 100ll at a bare minimum. More than likely running at the least straight 100ll without significant timing, and compression modifications.

Positives:
-Ridiculous power

Negatives:
-Cost of the kit
-Cost of 100ll or race fuel. $5.25 per gallon for 100 LL currently. 110 Race gas can be had for just under $7.00 a gallon if your lucky
-increased tuning
-reduced reliability
-increased maintenance (reeds especially)
-working on anything under the hood takes that much longer, as there is many more components that are in the way of the stock components you will be needing to get at / inspect.

At the end of the day, your biggest obstacle is going to be riding style. These sleds are not suitable for long runs of consistent throttle position.

I know, not what you were hoping to hear.

With that being said, I am going to run one in the U.P. this winter, but I wont be running the Bill Nichols trail from Twin Lakes, up to Copper Harbor for lunch.

thebreeze

I say bring the tow rope, so you can pull a burned down turbo M8 back to camp with your stocker at the end of the day. lol

winter_time

The general rule of thumb is the snowmobile is designed for optimum performance with optimum reliability when it is stock. once you start playing with the engine you wont stop because something is going to break. The machine is designed to handle what is there already I would not recommend doing the turbo.

thebreeze

Cat's 800 suzuki motor has been proven to hold up under boost with proper tuning/kit install. Its more of an issue with his riding style IMO. One of the nice parts about a turbo, is the huge power gains that can be realized while still utilizing stock internals/porting. (The downside is the added cost if you send piston chunks through the turbo compressor). When you start dealing with big bores, and porting etc, when you do burn your sled down, lead time for parts becomes a serious issue, and if you damage your ported cylinders, you cant just swap them out for re manufactured cylinders. You either have to wait for you cylinder to be repaired/replated, or you are buying a new cylinder, and paying to have it ported, and coated.

If you are looking for a turbocharged sled that can be trail ridden in any realistic fashion, going 4 stroke is your only legitimate option.

mezz

Hi guys i was thinking about puting a turbo kit on my 2010 CFR 800 and was wondering if it would be worth the money and if it would work on trails. I ride about 75% trails and 25% off and would just like to hear a little input on the positives, negatives and if it would work for my riding style.
Thanks, Nick

Why would you want to do that, bored? 800cc not enough? Have deep pockets? What is your riding style, lying on the tank peeping over the dash at 120+ mph? LOL!!:D Seriously, not something I would recommend.

The general rule of thumb is the snowmobile is designed for optimum performance with optimum reliability when it is stock. once you start playing with the engine you wont stop because something is going to break. The machine is designed to handle what is there already I would not recommend doing the turbo.

Sensible answer Joe. Now if we can just convince you that you should not fly with your sled, we'd be making some serious progress.:p-Mezz

snoluver1

Definitely would not do a 2 stroke turbo for trail riding application. Talk about a headache!! As stated above, 2 stroke turbos are intended for two throttle positions--on or off. Trail cruising at part throttle is not their intended use. 4 stroke turbo is a completely different story.

ezra

if you go turbo do the Push turbo for the M8 best option.we have been playing with them in the cfr800 and 1000 drag sleds .if you got the cash and the ability to tune and tinker I say DO IT you only go around 1 time may as well make it extra intense.
besides stock is for people who cant tune a sled and dont mind being the slowest in there crew

snoluver1

You can make it work if you really want to, but it would be finicky for sure. If you don't mind tuning and tinkering every ride, not to mention wrenching before and after every ride, then by all means go for it!! You would have a sick trail racer I guess. Just seems to me there are generally 2 types of riders. Those who are looking for instant gratification over short periods of time, while pushing themselves and their machines to the limits, and those who enjoy cruising down a trail, putting on miles, seeing the sites, and covering territory. There is nothing wrong with either, but each has its own time and place. The 2 stroke turbo only fits in one of those disciplines. You can't really have it both ways.

Last edited:

ezra

and remember you can have multiple maps for diff applications .you can have a map for just a few lbs of boost for trail cruising and 1 for 5or6 lbs of boost for some hard riding and 1 for running some c116 8lbs or better for a day of lake racing or hill climbing.
once you get it dialed in with all your maps your tinkering will be minimal but like all mods 1 eye on the gauge cluster at all times.