Chain Case Removal

tubbywolfe

Ok, this is my first chai ncase project so I have had many questions. But I need to know do I need to remove the nut from the jackshaft sprocket to get it off? I have all the nuts and carriage bolts removed and thught I should be able to just pull off the chain case, is this not the case? Any advice would help greatly, snow is on it's way. Appears my chain snapped due to my driveshaft bearing seizing judging that the bolt connecting that sheared off and the driveshaft sprocket pulled off by hand.

Thanks everyone.

indy_500

Wait so do you want to get the whole chaincase housing off? if so yes you have to take the nut off that holds the top gear on the jackshaft.

dschultz

Had mine off my xcr this year, its held on by carrage bolts. Remove the nuts to them, remove your gears, and probably have to take off the brake line. Other than that it pretty much slides right off, but you might have to tap on it a bit. And if you are just removing the bearing, its easiest to drop the suspension and remove the driveshaft and tap the bearing through the chaincase after you remove the snapring holding the bearing in.

indy_500

I believe it's a 7/8?? but i do not remember for sure. But just take out cotter pin, lock park brake if you don't have one have someone hold the brake and take the nut off. sometimes helps with the other gear and chain on so the gear has something else to catch onto to get the nut off. Right now my brakes cant hold my jackshaft enough to get the nut off mine, so I guess i'm stuck with my new gear ratio until I can get it off.

rp7x

3/8 " bolt

take the drive shaft to someone that can redrill and tap 3/8" threads so it won't happen again. do you feel lucky ?

motor_slut

there is no need to remove the chaincase. The bottom bolt snapped in the driveshaft and that is all that happened. In the worst case you need to remove the driveshaft but that does not require removal of the chaincase.

tubbywolfe

there is no need to remove the chaincase. The bottom bolt snapped in the driveshaft and that is all that happened. In the worst case you need to remove the driveshaft but that does not require removal of the chaincase.

I need to remove chain case since the chain snapped and blew the top of chain case apart. Time to replace it now. All because the bolt that holds in the bottom gear sheared off. ***!

indy_500

As rp7x said, get the threads tapped out bigger. had a buddy's 02 x edge 600 snap the bolt twice so he finally got it tapped out bigger. I've been debating doing it to my sled so i don't have to worry.

motor_slut

I need to remove chain case since the chain snapped and blew the top of chain case apart. Time to replace it now. All because the bolt that holds in the bottom gear sheared off. ***!

You never stated that in the original post. Then yes you have to pull that nut to remove the gear to pull the case off the jackshaft. You then might have to remove the driveshaft to get the rest of the bolt out unless you have a right angle drill and a good drilling hand.

However I have to correct you as the bolt didn't shear it snapped. The bearing didn't seize either it was just a bad design with the spring washer.