Chain Case Repair

tubbywolfe

I recently blew my chain through the top of my chain case and the cover spread shrapenal all over my belly pan, is this an easy task to take on my own. Is it as simple as removing the cover, replacing chain and all bearings, sprockets? Could it have bent my jackshaft?

Thanks

indy_500

Chain probably went from too tight or too loose chain tension, But it is as simple as that, removing the cover. But, drain the oil first, unless u want it to go out the belly pan (ain't that big of deal, its only around 8-12 oz for most sleds) When you put it all back together, to adjust the chain, finger tighten and loosen it 1/4 turn (i have found 1/6 turn out to be best or 1 flat on the bolt)

hednup2

as far as replacing the cover contact al's salvage and see what kind of pricing you get had to replace one on an old phazer and price was nice to live with.

jprdave

I recently blew my chain through the top of my chain case and the cover spread shrapenal all over my belly pan, is this an easy task to take on my own. Is it as simple as removing the cover, replacing chain and all bearings, sprockets? Could it have bent my jackshaft?

Thanks

Doubtful that it bent the jackshaft, but not impossible. Just pay attention to how it comes apart and reverse the process. You didn't specify what kind of sled this is, Some polaris models had problems with the bottom sprocket bolt breaking the head off. Be sure to check everything over very close to determine what caused the failure. Could be plain old fatigue, but generally something will show up. Remember to use the internet for pics and videos.

It is a pretty simple process. Just replaced mine last weekend. Probably took me 2 hours and I am by no stretch of the imagination mechanically inclined. You should be able to find the parts that you need on ebay or craigslist or even a snowmobile repair shop. I found a used case complete with bearings, tentioner ect all in good shape for $75 from a local repair guy. Bought the top and bottom gears and chain on ebay for $80. All were in good shape and I am back up and running for under $200. Checked on new parts and I probably would have been over $600 but I needed everything. Found the parts diagram on one of the dealers web pages and that is also a help but really just reverse the process from when you took it apart. Good luck.

tubbywolfe

I got the cover off but wonder if I need a special tool to remove the smaller sprocket connecting to the jackshaft? The bottom sprocket pulled right off. Also, a bearing popped out when I took off the cover, is this supposed to be floating in there?