Chain Case

docs_88

Supposed to leave on a trip on Friday A.m. Went to change the chaincase oil and got the drain plug out but the stupid thing is stripped out and the threads on the bottom of the chain case are half gone. The two dealers I talked to don't have the plug.. Any suggestions short of buying a new chaincase?? 2006 Fusion 600.

Go to a bicycle shop and ask for a 9/16-20 tap threader to rent. Rethread the hole and put some loctite or silicone on the plug and don't over tighten it this time. This will hold up 100%. Did this same exact thing last year on my fusion and it lasted all season. Those threads in the chain case are 9/16-20 and napa or any hardware store usually won't carry anything like that. They use this type of thread because the drain plug is so short. These are also the same threads that are in most bicycle crank pedals. This will help until you find an alternate solution.

Make sure you put a new o-ring on plug for a good seal.

Last edited:

docs_88

Thanks Vic! Looks like the plug is OK maybe. Hopefully I can find a tap threader. Where did you find the rubber seal? The dealers didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them for one.

I got my rubber o-ring from the dealer. A matter of fact they had some new drain plugs there and they just gave me a new o-ring off one. Maybe a hardware store would have a new o-ring for you. I would try and get a new one so you do it right the first time.

When you are doing this, pull off the chain case cover so you can watch the tap go all the way through the drain hole. There is little clearance there and you don't want to go in on an angle either. When putting the cover back on, make sure you don't over tighten those bolts either because it is all the same soft metal.

Last edited:

indy_500

on mine, i stripped out the hex part of it, not the threads! whoops! time to break out the extractor this summer.

rp7x

why

thats why i have never ever pulled the plug, just take the cover off, now you have the bull by the but , let us know how this works out

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

9/16 - 20 is a NF or national fine thread. If that is a problem try a machine / tool shop for a tap. The 5/8 -18 is the next size up in NF threads. That may be an option if your threads are destroyed. You may have to go bigger. I like rp7x's method , always good to take a look in there. I would seal it from the backside if you can't find an o-ring, they run in " 000, 100, 200 series sizes. I would think the o-ring you need for that is going to be a " 0 " series ( thin diameter ). Hope that helps.

docs_88

Thanks all. I'll see what I can figure out. Problem is if I use a tap threader wouldn't it have to be bigger since the threads are gone? Then the plug won't fit anyway. I can thread it in now semi-tight but once it gets to a certain point it loosens again. wonder if I just gob it with lock tight it would stay?? Or JB weld if I have to??

docs_88

rpx....Will that fit right into the existing hole? Keeping in mind that the threads are about gone?? Or do I need tap it out?

doomsman

To get past this trip go to a mom pop hardware store
buy several expanding plugs with the understanding
you will bring some back.
Keep them clean and buy a pair of gloves or something
to help them stay in town.

rp7x

pipe tap

1/4 or 3/8 npt one of them should fit , it is a taperd plug so just thread tape no o ring , you will most likley have to take the bottom gear out so the tap will thread deep e nuf

mnguy

If the original plug is 9/16-18 you would have to use a 3/8 npt tap to fix. Tap drill size for 3/8 npt is 9/16" dia. If the current threads are stripped out you may even get the tap to start without drilling. Don't turn the tap in more than half to two thirds the length of the threads or the plug will go to deep.

Used to use two ball peen hammers to "fix" stripped out heads on hex bolts. Put the ball end in the hex and strike the flat face with another hammer. The hex will mushroom back down enough to get a good bite with an allen wrench. Also, grind back the tips of hex wrenches as they wear and you won't have the problem as often.