chaincase oil

tritonmark

600 rev, want to change the oil and from the looks it looks like a drain plug might be on the bottom of case. Has anyone out there changed their oil? Looks easy compared to taking the cover off and making a small mess.

russholio

Either way works. I personally use the drain plug (less mess) but some guys have a hard time getting it out so they just remove the whole cover. I believe the drain plug takes a 3/16" allen wrench. Yes, it's SAE and not metric; probably the only SAE fastener on the sled!

If you do remove it....use one of those hex sockets, works a lot better than just an allen wrench. Just make sure you don't overtighten it when putting it back in.

dab102999

I use the plug to drain the oil but still always pull the cover to check the chain and gears...spray the whole thing down with wd-40 and put it back together.

dooeragain

Just use the old turker baster with a gas line hose, every other year take the cover off and clean it real good. I also use magnet on a wire as well as the factory mag. on the dip stick. When nothing comes out on the magnets refill & go. I have never had a chain case go on me since I started in 1970.

eyeman

Just use the old turker baster with a gas line hose, every other year take the cover off and clean it real good. I also use magnet on a wire as well as the factory mag. on the dip stick. When nothing comes out on the magnets refill & go. I have never had a chain case go on me since I started in 1970.

Yep. The old turkey baster trick. Roll the sled on it's side, remove the cover, suck out the old, adjust the chain tensioner, put the cover back on, fill her up and away you go. This is a no spill method. I use trannie fluid and have never lost a gear or chain. Reverse adds to the work, but the gas line hose helps.

salmonbum

Pull cover off. If you just drain by the plug there is alot of areas oils can sit in the case and not get drained.