Chains for cars

meathead

I dont have a 4 by truck so a 96 lincoln will have to do. But i am thinkin of gettin chains just in case. I know, not the best setup but after all im just a meathead .... And yes i have been jonesen for the snow...

maddogg

I don't really know what your question is, but I have only a 2WD truck and just put a set of snow tires on the rear. Haven't had a problem. I don't think you can run chains onthe road and they eat your tires if not properly set on. Also, if you do get stuck in a drift and then try to put them on - good luck. Been there and done that.

cuzzinolaf

Get snowtires. You can usually find a set of steel rims with snow tires for around $300 or less on Craigslist.

vector08

Snow tires are the way to go. My dad just put snow tires on my car yesterday and he has them on his truck and my moms car. They are SO much better then any chains.

cuzzinolaf

There is a non-biased comparision of snow tires to regular tires somewhere on Youtube. They compare two cars, with both snow and regular tires side by side. I think they're worth getting and a lot easier. Leave them on for 4 months and then swap em' out. I'm actually getting ready to put the snow tires on my wife's and my car.... already have A/Ts on the truck.

cuzzinolaf

I will be driving my car to the UP this winter. Even if I didn't I would still consider snow tires because they're a big help with traction in snow for such a little cost. Meathead drives to the UP a lot and tows with his Lincoln.

700classic

I can't remember where I seen them, but someone makes a cable set-up for car and light trucks. It looked like a better way to go, tighter fit easier install.Doesn't do you a D$#* bit of good if I can't remember where I saw them.

polarisrider1

Meathead? you watching "ice road truckers" again? Is it a continental, town car or a Mark 4? need pics.

Last edited:

meathead

P\rider

meathead? You watching "ice road truckers" again? Is it a continental, town car or a mark 4? Need pics.

p\rider , i lol lol so much my wife thought i was going nuts!!! Then i let her read the whole thread and all the comments !!!!she said what are you going to have a great big convoy !!!!lol (come on pig pen back off them hogs anuther mile they are closin up my sinices) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!by the way its a town car sig series. She would not let me touch the 96 lincoln cypress( heated seats & extras) meathead.....

steelhead

I put Blizzak snow tires on my wife's Corolla. It performed so well that I picked up a set of 4 for our SUV. The difference is like night and day.

We have a cabin that is somewhat remote and requires driving 15 miles over forest service roads can be pretty dicey. I had a set of these tire chains for my pickup and then bought a different set when we sold the pickup and got the SUV. They are so easy to put on you won't believe it. Way better than the old ladder style chains for traction. I don't use them on paved roads but for gravel roads and my long driveway they do the trick if the road is really bad...

http://www.lacledechain.com/light-truck-and-suvs/alpine-sport-super-sport

meathead

Chains

i put blizzak snow tires on my wife's corolla. It performed so well that i picked up a set of 4 for our suv. The difference is like night and day.

We have a cabin that is somewhat remote and requires driving 15 miles over forest service roads can be pretty dicey. I had a set of these tire chains for my pickup and then bought a different set when we sold the pickup and got the suv. They are so easy to put on you won't believe it. Way better than the old ladder style chains for traction. I don't use them on paved roads but for gravel roads and my long driveway they do the trick if the road is really bad...

http://www.lacledechain.com/light-truck-and-suvs/alpine-sport-super-sport

steelhead:thanks for the info ,they look alot easier than the old setup.meathead