changing clutch weights

blvette

96 zrt 600, can someone please give me a idiots guide to changing the clutch weights, goodwin is sending new weights and spring for me, I have changed the spring before but not changed weights, pictures would be great too. thanks

jimfsr

I think you will need to take the spyder apart to change the weights and spring, not positive on your clutch though. If so, you need the proper tools. You may be able to slide the spider and sheave apart far enough to swap the weights out. You should probably replace the rollers too, since your in there anyway. Go to Comet clutch web site, that will get you the diagrams you need.

bedgar7

The easiest way for me is to pull the clutch then pull the cover off to remove the spring tension, which you will be doing anyways since you got a new spring. Basically all you do is take the bolt out and the weight and any shims should come right out. Attached is an image from the manual, I have always just re-used the same bolts but make sure to install them the correct direction as stated.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22

jimfsr

Thats right, spider comes apart for the button change, not the weights and spring. Should be easy to do. Check the bolts real close though. I have seen those worn 25% through because of bad bushings. Have fun with it.

barneymn

96 zrt 600, can someone please give me a idiots guide to changing the clutch weights, goodwin is sending new weights and spring for me, I have changed the spring before but not changed weights, pictures would be great too. thanks

If you take the clutch into a dealership, they will do it relatively cheap depending on the dealer

ezra

wow you guys like to do extra work.get a clutch tool made for changing weights.it has a fork like pry bar to compress clutch and a big c clip thing to hold closed. then 1 weight at a time on sled get a Allen and wrench and pull bolt3/4 the way out swap weight move on to next.tool is less than 30 bucks .have changed weights on a frozen lake way more than I care to remember .now I use Dalton adj weights just a Allen to add weight or remove

02zr600

stick a pry bar through the primary clutch. take the primary clutch bolt out. before you take the bolts off the outter perimeter of the clutch cover, mark the clutch so it will alline the same way when you put it back on because it is balanced. then take the bolts out. your relieived all the spring pressure by now. you would be able to easily change the weights at this point. retorque the primary bolt to 55-60 foot pounds.

Buzz and Kurt ZRT Pros Over and Out Cylinder Iowa (repond if you need any more help, just changed clutch spring on moms f5)

blvette

How about I just have you guys put them in but be careful riding it your not use to the power, tell Kurt the big bore is on it's way, you guys better get in shape for the i500 for next year. Team ****forbrains out ps you should of saw Ryan ride over a driveway aproach last year and shoot jess sled into a tree stuck the ski right between the forks of branches about 4 feet up. Had to lift whole sled out of it

maxwell

don't forget the orientation of the bolt and nut. You don't want to put the nut on the wrong side of the clutch.

02zr600

"NO Brains, NO Brains, Somebodies gonna get hurt!" Quoted: Bill Burdick

1 year 56 days 4 hours 55 min 45 seconds!

02zr600

he said he could handle the i500 ice ovel, i would prefer the snocross track anyway. Maybe i can rent a sled for it?

02zr600

from the pics ive seen, it would be the oldest sled, but not by much. there are a lot of older sleds being raced because there lower to the ground and cheaper.