changing my track?

jsled82

I have never done this before and last year really ripped up my track. I have a 1999 ski-doo formula DLX 500. Cn anyone walk me throught it. I heard it takes some time to do it and I don't want to mess up my sled.

indy_500

First, start off by taking out the rear suspension. Locate the 4 suspension bolt mounts (2 on each side of the tunnel). Once you get that out, drain your chaincase oil, then you take off your chaincase cover (may have to take off exhaust can to do this) and take off the sprocket holding the driveshaft in. This may be harder if you have reverse seeing you have a DLX model, i assume you do. Now, your driveshaft is still in there but not "out". Next, you may have to take off your secondary clutch to get to the driveshaft housing. There's 3 bolts holding the driveshaft housing together (at least in polaris' there are) you take those off, slide the driveshaft towards the clutch side, and out of the tunnel and you got it out, then obviously put it back together the same way. You will have to torque the bolt holding the sprocket onto the driveshaft inside the chaincase a certain amount along with the secondary clutch if you have to take that off. And, there's more to it such as after you get it together, you'll have to adjust your track tension since you have a brand new track. To do that, loosen the track tension bolts, put 10 lbs of weight 16" in from the rear wheels on the track, and tighten the bolts till you have an inch of sag. I may have missed something...

longtrack

You have a big Snap Ring in the Chain Case that is hard to get out with a good Tool.

Don't mix up the Gears when you take them out of the Chain Case.

Buy a Service Manual CD off Ebay.

I hope you have good Tools, because some of this may not come apart very easy.

I have changed these in about 4 hours with everything going good.

Make sure you line up the Track so its running strait when you adjust the tension.

doo_dr

I have never done this before and last year really ripped up my track. I have a 1999 ski-doo formula DLX 500. Cn anyone walk me throught it. I heard it takes some time to do it and I don't want to mess up my sled.

give me a call if you still need help. I PM'ed you

lofsfire

You have a big Snap Ring in the Chain Case that is hard to get out with a good Tool.

Don't mix up the Gears when you take them out of the Chain Case.

Buy a Service Manual CD off Ebay.

I hope you have good Tools, because some of this may not come apart very easy.

I have changed these in about 4 hours with everything going good.

Make sure you line up the Track so its running strait when you adjust the tension.

Get the Service Manual here for free.