Changing track on Pantera

junior

I have a 2004 Arctic Cat Pantera 800. The previous owner had pulled the skid to replace jackshaft bearings. During assembly he got the rear shock mount on under the idler shaft instead of over, and thus rubbed off most of the inner lugs. I want to change the track out. It has remote start, electric start and reverse obviously. I have the service manual and it is nother like my ZR800. Are there any tricks to it or advice, or if I follow the manual will it be a straight forward job?

mjkaliszak

Cut the track to take it off, easier IMO. Maker sure you back off the rear axle 20 turns. Go thru your skid, depending on how much aggressive riding you do, the center shock axle ( lower ) had slotted out my skid rails in my F series. Grease it up, verify all movement, make sure nothing is binding. Cats are notorious for boogey wheel failure, rubber cracks and breaks away from the injected wheel. Bearings are always good. Cat dealers that don't stock many parts will stock 50 boogey wheels. Real money maker for cat & the dealer. I have the empty wallet to prove it. I normally pull the diamond drive off open it up and inspect, or the gear box the same. Check for worn chain ect... Seal it up with Threebond liquid gasket 1194 or RTV. Clean surfaces, apply sealant / RTV assemble bolts hand tight, let sealant set-up for 20 minutes approx. then torque to spec. If you do this almost guaranteed not to leak. Don't forget to tighten up your oil drain plug, that way when you refill it , it won't run down the threads and appear like a bad sealant job and have you tear the cover back off. I don't know if you have the diamond drive or not but you can pull the unit and not drain the oil if you choose. Watch for your sensor wire ( reverse ) rubbing. I normally will go thru everything I can looking for stuff like rubbing wires. Dumb $%#@ wire will touch/rub the chassis and sent you a CCU code. My .02 ! Oh 1 more thing , if you plan to stud it get the track on and then install the studs.

junior

Why would I want to cut the track off? I have to pull the skid and driveshaft to put the new one on anyway. No diamond drive. What I was really wondering is how much harder is it to pull the driveshaft on this one with remote start and mechanical reverse than a standard skid and drive shaft like a ZR. Looking at the parts diagram there is a lot more going on in there than a standard ZR.

ezra

not really just a few more gears you can still get off bottom gear with out having to remove all the revers gears just undue tension .and the e start comes off pto not jack shaft clutch so you should not have to touch it.

mjkaliszak

Why would I want to cut the track off? I have to pull the skid and driveshaft to put the new one on anyway. No diamond drive. What I was really wondering is how much harder is it to pull the driveshaft on this one with remote start and mechanical reverse than a standard skid and drive shaft like a ZR. Looking at the parts diagram there is a lot more going on in there than a standard ZR.

Well ...I'm normally throwing it out anyways, it gets it out of the way quicker, and buy's you a couple of inches clearance in the front of the tunnel instantly. Just makes it less cumbersome. It's just what I do. I actually had seen the post, noticed that no-one had replied and you being a non frequent poster , didn't want you to ask a question on John Dee and not get an answer or some input. I kind of like this forum to attract new members and promote itself. The more people that frequent it the better it is for members such as myself that consider " JD " home. Generally we can all learn from each other. I have went to other forums and asked a question and sometimes no-one would reply. There are a couple of guy's on here from time to time that know Cats way better than myself such as "ezra".