Chevy 1/2 ton 6.6

looking to get a New truck and wondering who has the new Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton with the 6.6 in it , my question is , I'm looking to pull my 4 place all aluminum enclosed trailer with it , seeing if anyone is pulling any trailers with it and how it handles it ?
Thanks

tjmaxx

The new gas 6.6 only comes in the 3/4 ton or higher. That would be a great truck for towing. In the half ton they have the 6.2 which is a power house.

The new gas 6.6 only comes in the 3/4 ton or higher. That would be a great truck for towing. In the half ton they have the 6.2 which is a power house.

My bad... yes the 6.2 liter in a 1/2 ton , looking to see if anyone is pulling a 4 place in closed (all aluminum) with it and how does the suspension on the truck pull ?

Last edited:

tjmaxx

I had a 2017 5.3 which I hated compared to the diesel I have now or the ecoboost f150 I had before the Chevy. The 6.2 power wise will be more than adequate but you may need to add air bags.

eao

I am on my 4th GMC 1500 with the 6.2L engine. Pulls great. I tow a 7x14x7h enclosed all aluminum v-nose Legend trailer and a 2018 RZR S 900 and it does not even break a sweat. Just got a 2021 Sierra Denali CC 6.2L Ultimate 6.2L/430hp and 10 sp trans.

m8man

I have the 6.6 in a 2020 2500 HD. pulls great, smidge better than expected. I don’t pull much so I didn’t want a diesel or a 3/4 ton but found the right deal. Unloaded in the highway I avg about 16 MPG, loaded not so sure. I pull my camper about 2x per year so no solid mpg input here. I plan to put a big plow on it next winter.

M8man

I have a 2500 3/4 ton with the 6.0 in it and don’t want to give up the way it tows , meaning if you’ve ever towed with something and get whipped around you know what I’m talking about

szotty

The new 2020 2500hd 6.6 gas is awesome. Way better than I was expecting coming from a diesel. Didn’t want all the maintenance anymore. Keep in Mind it’s not a diesel but very happy with it. I just drove 660 miles only bed filled with tools 75 mph 50 mph head winds 11.5 mpg and same roads on way back 2 days later 75 mph again 16 mpg no winds. Would buy it again in a heart beat

looking to get a New truck and wondering who has the new Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton with the 6.6 in it , my question is , I'm looking to pull my 4 place all aluminum enclosed trailer with it , seeing if anyone is pulling any trailers with it and how it handles it ?
Thanks

my neighbor has the same motor and said the same thing !

harski

I run a '16 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2l 8 speed and pull a 3-4 enclosed extra height trailer. I feel the motor has plenty of horse power but if you're looking for complete stability compared to your 2500 that is something you can't compare. I do feel the load at times and the cross wind will fight you a bit. I do jack up the tire pressure to help and will now be going to a higher sidewall tire too. I can go on but I"ll stop there.... PM me your number if you want and I can give you more of my .02 over the phone on other 1500 concerns I have.... Good luck!

doofan1

I run a '16 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2l 8 speed and pull a 3-4 enclosed extra height trailer. I feel the motor has plenty of horse power but if you're looking for complete stability compared to your 2500 that is something you can't compare. I do feel the load at times and the cross wind will fight you a bit. I do jack up the tire pressure to help and will now be going to a higher sidewall tire too. I can go on but I"ll stop there.... PM me your number if you want and I can give you more of my .02 over the phone on other 1500 concerns I have.... Good luck!

I have a 2020 1/2 ton quad cab 4wd with the 3.0L inline Duramax Diesel.Its rated at 277HP 460 Torque. I have just ove 15K miles on it so far and its been average 26.3 MPG mostly highway driving I have a 4 place inline that pulls great behind it and still get 12-14 MPG at 75MPH

Cost was about the same as a 6.2L 1500 to buy but I believe it gets better MPG than the 6.2 for daily driving. Have not owned a 6.2 so can't talk numbers too much on that.

I can tell you the 1500 rides much better than my 2500 if its not loaded.

euphoric1

I have a 2020 1/2 ton quad cab 4wd with the 3.0L inline Duramax Diesel.Its rated at 277HP 460 Torque. I have just ove 15K miles on it so far and its been average 26.3 MPG mostly highway driving I have a 4 place inline that pulls great behind it and still get 12-14 MPG at 75MPH

Cost was about the same as a 6.2L 1500 to buy but I believe it gets better MPG than the 6.2 for daily driving. Have not owned a 6.2 so can't talk numbers too much on that.

I admit I don't keep up on trucks and new technologies but those daily driving MPG are crazy! But what I don't understand is the crazy drop in mileage when towing with a diesel, I thought that was one of the advantages of a diesel, my 1 ton diesel maybe varies 1 MPG between towing, plowing whatever you are doing to it, both of those numbers are shocking to me especially the difference between the two, I would expect that on gas aspirated but not diesel...wow!

sweeperguy

I admit I don't keep up on trucks and new technologies but those daily driving MPG are crazy! But what I don't understand is the crazy drop in mileage when towing with a diesel, I thought that was one of the advantages of a diesel, my 1 ton diesel maybe varies 1 MPG between towing, plowing whatever you are doing to it, both of those numbers are shocking to me especially the difference between the two, I would expect that on gas aspirated but not diesel...wow!

Wondering if the difference is cuz its a baby diesel, 3.0
As VS the full size diesels in the 6-7 litre range? Is what I'm assuming your having in your 1ton

euphoric1

Wondering if the difference is cuz its a baby diesel, 3.0
As VS the full size diesels in the 6-7 litre range? Is what I'm assuming your having in your 1ton

Yes 6.7 litre, don't get no where near that daily driving mileage but like I said it stays put no matter what you do to it, that's why I have it as it lives most of its life with something behind it and in the winter I plow with it and now pull a 24' enclosed steel trailer with 3 to 4 sleds. Wished I got that daily driving mileage and understand I have much more engine so that would be a wet dream, was just shocked at the difference between towing and driving, Im not familiar with these baby diesels but thought you only seen that much of a drop on gas aspirated engines

latner

I'm looking at going from a 2500HD 6.0 to the baby diesel. Can you tell me what the door sticker says for payload capacity? Thx

- - - Updated - - -

He did say the towing numbers were @ 75MPH. Might be better @ 60 - 65

doofan1

I'm looking at going from a 2500HD 6.0 to the baby diesel. Can you tell me what the door sticker says for payload capacity? Thx

- - - Updated - - -

He did say the towing numbers were @ 75MPH. Might be better @ 60 - 65

I can tell you that it has a 10 speed tranny. You cant feel it shift hardly at all. It does not indicated what gear it is in other than drive. When you put it in tow haul mode maybe it only shifts into 6th or 7th? Might be part of the reason MPG drops so much when towing my inline 4 place. To be fair I've only towed the that trailer twice any distance and was rather windy one of the times when towing. I used to pull this same trailer with an 05 suburban 1/2 ton with a 5.3 in it and got about 6MPG when towing and 70 was about it without keeping it floored, so quite happy with the baby diesel so far.

I also have a 17 3/4 ton Duramax that i tow this trailer with most of the time not fair to compare the two trucks but I average 18-19mpg with my 3/4 ton not towing and 12-14 mpg towing. Reason I got the 1/2 ton was to use as a daily driver and still be able to tow better than the 5.3 Gas in the 1/2 tons and not lose the MPG with the 6.2L. The 3/4 ton for my daily driver rides like crap because its usually empty. Load it up whole different story actually rides pretty good then and can't beat it for towing. 80 Miles an hour and can still pass people if I need to.

Oil change takes 7quarts not 10 quarts like the 6.6 Duramax so little bit of savings there. They both use the same fuel filter, very easy to change on either of them and unfortunately both have DEF. Although I have not had any issues yet with DEF I have heard some horror stories and have a neighbor who has a 17 Duramax that kept running the DEF cycle every 300 miles until they figured out that some sensor was screwed up. I go about 6K miles on the 1/2 ton before it starts warning me to add DEF and about 5K on the 3/4 ton before it warns me. In 2020 GM finally figured out to put the DEF filler next to the fuel filler and not against the fire wall under the hood. So that is a bonus.

Found 2 door stickers with weight listed for the 1500 Duramax
GVWR 7200LB GAWR FRT 3800 LB GAWR RR 3800 LB

Other sticker says Vehicle and trailer must not exceed any of these values
GVWR 7200LBS
GCWR 15000LBS
RGAWR 3800 LBS
Curb Weight 5403 LBS
Max Payload 1797 LBS
9200 LB Tow Rating with a bumper pull trailer and 7100 LBS with a Goose Neck

Oil change takes 7quarts not 10 quarts like the 6.6 Duramax so little bit of savings there. They both use the same fuel filter and unfortunately both have DEF. The 2020 GM finally figured out to put the DEF filler next to the fuel filler and not against the fire wall under the hood. So that is a bonus.