Closed helmets and prescription glasses.

LM

Will be back to riding this season after a few years off.....now with 'must have' prescription glasses. How do you, that wear glasses, handle the fogging in closed helmets? I have a heated shield, but that won't help the glasses. Do you all just ride with the shield cracked open? ~Dawned on me this morning when I walked the dogs with a balaclava on, and was miserable!! Couldn't see a damn thing!

whitedust

Have to go with a modular helmet with breath box to avoid glasses fogging. Contacts are another way out. I had cataract surgery on both eyes so ditched the glasses. I still carry glasses Incase I have to fix something on my sled but rather not wear them when riding except at night. Found it’s best at night to get on leader’s bumper and stay there on his tail light. Lots of riders use BRP mods but plenty of others available now. Good luck plenty of solutions

Sledhead!

I find that the Ski-Doo Oxygen helmet allows me to wear my glasses most of the time without fogging. Sometimes you might have to crack the shield but this helmet works very well with glasses.

garageguy

Brp 2 no breath box heated shield no problem can drive with sun shield down as well keep it cracked when going slow open shield when stoped threw the breath box away. Keep beleclava down below nose breath through nose never a problem, front vent open unless it's below zero

600_RMK_144

Man. Tuff to admit it... But... I'm getting old! I typically wear contacts. Last week was the first ride of the season and couldn't read the damn phone screen!!! Kept putting it way out in front of my face, pulling it back in to try and focus. Granted it was getting towards the end of the night and the googles were starting to frost over a bit. But was my first experience EVER RIDING of "oh, boy, I gotta figure out how I'm gonna see these maps with my helmet on!" Luckily have an eye appointment next week to see if they can adjust my contact script. As far as glasses, I've seen in sled magazines, a company that makes googles which you can install the glasses inside the googles or they are script lenses.

Prescription Googles: www.pro-vue.com 507-534-1247

PS - Getting old S-U-C-K-S!!!!

Have had the same problem. I heard that the new Mission helmet is agreeable to glasses, however, and doesn't have the fogging issue w/glasses. I tried one on at a local dealer, though, and have to admit I couldn't figure out a way to have my glasses sit normally on my face and nose. Maybe it would just take some time to adjust or figure it out. I have compensated all of my riding years by wearing contacts. Now I'm at the point, however, I need readers and vision is still not as good with contacts. Can totally relate to 600 rmk 144.

hybrid

i wear glasses all the time contacts are not an option for me
well the only option is hard lenses and those suck
i just crack the lens when going slow or stopped
been seriously looking at getting a new helmet
i use Scott otg goggles with my atv helmet in the summer and they are awesome
no fogging at all ever

old abe

Man. Tuff to admit it... But... I'm getting old! I typically wear contacts. Last week was the first ride of the season and couldn't read the damn phone screen!!! Kept putting it way out in front of my face, pulling it back in to try and focus. Granted it was getting towards the end of the night and the googles were starting to frost over a bit. But was my first experience EVER RIDING of "oh, boy, I gotta figure out how I'm gonna see these maps with my helmet on!" Luckily have an eye appointment next week to see if they can adjust my contact script. As far as glasses, I've seen in sled magazines, a company that makes googles which you can install the glasses inside the googles or they are script lenses.

Prescription Googles: www.pro-vue.com 507-534-1247

PS - Getting old S-U-C-K-S!!!!
Man do I hear ya! Glasses, yeah, well, I'm so fortunate to be done with them, finally! I had cataract surgery on both eyes, one worse than the other. The worst one prior to harvest, the other after. I now have multi focal lenses in each. I can't be happier to be thru with glasses, let me tell you! No more glasses hassling helmets! And yes, it is no fun what so ever becoming older, eh! Good luck to all you folks, enjoy, ride safe always!

I have a modular GMax helmet with a heated shield. I wear glasses except when sleeping. I found a spray on defogger on Amazon that works great. Spray it on both sides of the lenz, let dry a few minutes and wipe off. If it is really cold my glasses fog slightly for about 50 yards. After that perfectly clear.

pclark

This will not solve your problem but I used to wear contacts as it was the only viable solution for me. About 15 years ago my eyes started to change as they say they will and my eye sight has improved eo the point were i don't need glasses to drive anymore at 65 years old. I even took my drivers eye test for license renewal and I did not require glasses. My daughter calls me a freak that my eyesight could actually improve that much. I do however, need readers to see small print or the Polaris app maps on my phone.

Moral of the story, your eyes might just change as you age so don't give up hope.

G

G

Lasik 22 years ago primarily so I could ride without glasses. Have never regretted it and still don't need cheaters to read. The tech has only gotten better. Highly recommend looking in to it for sledding and life in general.

misty_pines

Man do I hear ya! Glasses, yeah, well, I'm so fortunate to be done with them, finally! I had cataract surgery on both eyes, one worse than the other. The worst one prior to harvest, the other after. I now have multi focal lenses in each. I can't be happier to be thru with glasses, let me tell you! No more glasses hassling helmets! And yes, it is no fun what so ever becoming older, eh! Good luck to all you folks, enjoy, ride safe always!
I also highly recommend multi-focal contacts for us older folks that would otherwise need cheaters when wearing regular contacts. The now make multi-focal contacts that correct astigmatism also which I need. They have been a total game changer for me. My brother got lasik surgery several years ago and his distance vision is great but now that he is older, he needs to wear reading glasses to see up close.

With these multi-focal contacts, I can see at all distances, close, mid and far, just like when I was young! I wear biofinity toric multifocal lenses.

heckler56

Intrigued! I have surgery scheduled for the end of the month and decided on the very expensive newer multifocal (astig correction lens).

To the OP, I have been using the Brp Mod helmets since 2006. Works great getting glasses on and off and isolating mask. In severe cold the outlets can ice up.

old abe

Intrigued! I have surgery scheduled for the end of the month and decided on the very expensive newer multifocal (astig correction lens).

To the OP, I have been using the Brp Mod helmets since 2006. Works great getting glasses on and off and isolating mask. In severe cold the outlets can ice up.
Good luck with your surgery! You'll be so happy you spent the extra $$$! It is well worth it! And no corrections will be needed. A bonus over Lasik? My multifocal lenses are "Vivity", and I am absolutely astounded with my vision! Somewhat better than 20/20! With my glasses, my Doo Mod 1, and 2 helmets worked great. However my Doo BVs did not. My wife loves the BVs, and has no problems what so ever. So no more worry for me now! I think the old Mods, 1, and 2, I have both, seemed to leak just enough fresh air to prevent my glasses from fogging, but not enough to notice until extreme cold temps occurred, then needing to use the breath box face cover. The BVs is the way to go when the temp gets really cold.

heckler56

Good luck with your surgery! You'll be so happy you spent the extra $$$! It is well worth it! And no corrections will be needed. A bonus over Lasik? My multifocal lenses are "Vivity", and I am absolutely astounded with my vision! Somewhat better than 20/20! With my glasses, my Doo Mod 1, and 2 helmets worked great. However my Doo BVs did not. My wife loves the BVs, and has no problems what so ever. So no more worry for me now! I think the old Mods, 1, and 2, I have both, seemed to leak just enough fresh air to prevent my glasses from fogging, but not enough to notice until extreme cold temps occurred, then needing to use the breath box face cover. The BVs is the way to go when the temp gets really cold.
Retired my mod 2 2 years ago as the foam wore out and duct tape wrapped in screen spline just wasn’t helping 13 years was a good run!) Picked up a mod 3 and it works fine.

Vivity are the ones I put on order.