Clutch Problem or Carb Problem

I have a 98 Formula that will get to about 7000 RPMS and then falls on its nose. A dead spot. Not enough snow/space to really go much further to see if it goes away. I have cleaned both carbs anfd RAVE valves. I am wondering since it is at about the same rpms, it may be a clutch issue.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Doug

that sounds like a cluctch problem to me not all that familiar with Skidoo clutchs but if it was a Polaris that is where I would look based on your discription.

that sounds like a cluctch problem to me not all that familiar with Skidoo clutchs but if it was a Polaris that is where I would look based on your discription.

What do you think, primary or secondary. I do nt have much experience with clutches. However, its the daughters sled, she doesnt need to be flying on it anyway :)

skidoo_derue

clutches

I have a 98 Formula that will get to about 7000 RPMS and then falls on its nose. A dead spot. Not enough snow/space to really go much further to see if it goes away. I have cleaned both carbs anfd RAVE valves. I am wondering since it is at about the same rpms, it may be a clutch issue.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Doug
could be you need new springs in clutches a little tlc goes a long way ,try dootalk do a search you should find yer answer

snowman72

Each sled has it's max RPM that it will run at, after that the power band falls off (engine looses power). The TRA clutches have an adjustment bolt at the weights on the outside of the primary sheave. Adjusting up/down a number typically increases/decreases max engine RPM's by about 200 RPM. I would find out what the max RPM for your sled is and go from there. Your manual should tell you the TRA location #, if not ask your Ski doo dealer.

600etec

This may sound crazy but check you air lines on the carbs and the air box. When an airline is not on the carbs do not work properly. IT happened to me. Tra location should be #3. Did you have the problem prior to cleaning? And no matter what do not run without a belt!

yea, the problem started early in the year as i started it in the shed. Got better after cleaning but still was cutting out when riding. On the stand I did not notice it after the cleaning. Was able to only ride it a short distance as we had very little snow. However, over the weekend, i was able to put on about 6 miles up in adams county and it was still there. But not when i eased into it, only full throttle from a stop. It is like hitting the rev limiter. But again, not alot of safe space. Will be on lakes this weekend.