Collett Electronics still in business?

accobra66

Collett Electronics (SnoFone) still in business?

I have (2) SnoFone's that are in need of repair. I emailed Collett a week ago asking how to send in (do I need an RMA) and have not heard back. Have called both the 888 and local Canadian phone numbers today multiple times and no answer.

Anybody else have trouble finding these guys?

Last edited:
I just talked to them last week. Had to let the phone ring a long time, but they finally answered. Keep trying, they're still there.

accobra66

Thanks everyone. Will keep trying. Nothing like making it easy for the customer to do business with you so you do not look elsewhere. Whatever though, is what is what it is. When they work (have always worked up till now), they work reasonably well.

lookin4snow

Dying?

I sent a Platinum 900 in for service on December 14, and they have not yet cashed my check and I don't have my Communicator back yet. So, I guess they must be dying there with too much business, or they are just dying due to mis-management and are almost out of business.

accobra66

Just got in touch with them, said wait time on repairs is 2-3 weeks from receipt of units. We will see about that.

lookin4snow

Update

I finally was able to connect with them today and they confirmed that they indeed received my Communicator for repair. They informed me that it will be repaired and be sent back to me in 2 weeks. That means I'll get it in 3 weeks or so. They said that with all the snow this year that they are just swamped with orders.

lookin4snow

Well, this isn't good!

So, Collett cashed my check for $68 to fix my Communicator on February 23. As of today, I still have not received my Communicator back from them. So, I decided to call them. So I Googled Collett to pull up their web site for the phone number, and mysteriously, no web site to be found. I tried calling them after finding their number elsewhere, and the phone just rings. I guess I'm writing my Communicator off, and it appears that they may have gone out of business.

accobra66

My gut tells me that they are still in business, just absolutely TERRIBLE at customer service. I too called time and time again and finally one day got somebody to answer the phone. Sent my radio's out two months ago and have not heard back. Lets keep in touch on this.

bonnie

bonnie

Guess I will wait and see before I send ours in. We have had them since 02 and have not sent them in for repair since 07 when turn around was about 5-6 weeks. They have worked fine until this winter when mine decided to stay activated all the time!! So either time to repair or buy new ones. Do I stay with Collette or???

gaderator

I do believe they finally DID go out of business. About time.They have had the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with and sooner or later it's bound to catch up with you.

Durability has always been an issue with their product anyway. I have three of their units and it seems there was always something wrong with one of them at any given time. Frustrating to say the least. Then when you send one in for service, it could be months before you get it back.

Just wish someone would pick up where they fell short and provide a good quality product along with the service to back it up. Any electronics gurus out there??

lookin4snow

Still No Activity

So I attempted to contact Collett again yesterday. Their web site is up and running, but the 800 number listed and the general number do not work. I also saw a number over on HCS to contact them and that didn't work either. I tried e-mailing Sid (Les Collett's relative and rumored to have purchased) and his e-mail bounced. So, looks like those of us with Communicators better make them last and look for a future alternative. At least I only got burned for $68 - others got burned way worse.

accobra66

Yes, I finally gave up as well. I even went as far as to file formal complaint with the Canadian Better Business Bureau (CBBB).

Interestingly, when I made the claim with the CBBB I found that Collett had a rating of an "F" already. The CBBB tried contacting them 3x with no response and then let me know that they had done all they could.

I have completely given up at this point. Pisses me off that they do not get back to you at all with what their current situation is but whatever.

Anybody have suggestions for replacement units?

Firecatguy

After riding with kris (looking4snow) years back I seen how nice it is to have communication when in the back country you can find people much faster and if your waiting for someone to clim up into an area and they get stuck where you can not see them they can let everyone else know "hey dont come up here im stuck" so u dont have everyone jam up I started to look for a radio option....I got this from carter and have to say it works Awesome the rest crew has gone to it also we have no issues finding each other and we can branch out more to find good riding.......I can hear and talk as I ride it is a mic/speaker and yes you can hear it!!!!!!

hmkbag028.jpg

lofsfire

This sucks to hear I have had no problems with mine or getting a hold of them. I have told many people on here, how I have been happy with mine. I have 2 myself and when we order our first set we order 18 then have add about 10 more over the years. Maybe they only took care of people with large orders....
Sorry to anyone I recommended them to.

So I attempted to contact Collett again yesterday. Their web site is up and running, but the 800 number listed and the general number do not work. I also saw a number over on HCS to contact them and that didn't work either. I tried e-mailing Sid (Les Collett's relative and rumored to have purchased) and his e-mail bounced. So, looks like those of us with Communicators better make them last and look for a future alternative. At least I only got burned for $68 - others got burned way worse.

I did check there site and it is up but not running if you click on any buy links it redirects you to a page saying the domain name is for sale. Sorry to hear you got burned!

After riding with kris (looking4snow) years back I seen how nice it is to have communication when in the back country you can find people much faster and if your waiting for someone to clim up into an area and they get stuck where you can not see them they can let everyone else know "hey dont come up here im stuck" so u dont have everyone jam up I started to look for a radio option....I got this from carter and have to say it works Awesome the rest crew has gone to it also we have no issues finding each other and we can branch out more to find good riding.......I can hear and talk as I ride it is a mic/speaker and yes you can hear it!!!!!!

hmkbag028.jpg
That looks like a Motorola if you check with a local radio shop you can probably find a VOX system for it as well. We have had a few the we have tried out for the fire department. One I real liked was a bone mic. It mounted in my helmet and picked up you talking off the top of your head. Or something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headset-Mot...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=140474641091&ps=54

Last edited:

ecopter

I've got three or four Platnium 900s I don't use anymore. Anyone interested?
They all worked great the last time I used them....which was winter of '09.

Let me know

Jon

gaylmi

Don't Give Up!

I know it is frustrating with what is going on with Collett. I sent them my communicator last February, they cashed my check, then nothing. I filed complaint, tried calling them, everything, nothing. Then finally today, I actually received my communicator back, repaired, imagine my surprise. So don't give up, you may still get it back.

apex_shane

Just called last friday at 8 am. Christine answered and was very helpful. Sent my communicator in for repair and said it would take about a 5 week turn time. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
KEY.....CALL EARLY!

accobra66

Got mine back today after finally reaching them last week. They actually still had them and ended up doing the repair and sent them back at no charge. I would not say these guys are out of the woods yet but sure have made great strides as far as I am concerned. Time will tell when I go to use them but I have to believe they will work just fine as they did for years.

apex_shane

Update

Christine at collett just called, communicator on its way back. 5 week turn time as advertised. Very god to work with now.

See you on the trails, keep the rubber down