Common courtesy and common sense!

big_bill

I have been riding for years now. Put a lot of miles on and rode 75% of Michigans trails. Some day hope to say 100% but that's for me to work on. One thing I see happening more and more as this sport get more popular and more people enjoying it, is that common sense is not so common, and common courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. I can't believe how many times when we/I are/am riding, I come across people STOPPED right in the middle of the trail and also STOPPED blocking an intersection. Saturday was riding Petoski's trail and came to intersection of trails 760 and 765 and there were about 25 sleds stopped in the intersection blocking the whole intersection. We had to zig zag around the sleds to get through! I have several choice words for people like that, but I respect this forum, so I will keep them to myself. So, if any one that reads this forum was in that group Saturday at 3:10 in the afternoon, please for common courtesy use some common sense and pass it on to your riding friends to stop doing this IDIOTIC behavior! Thanks for letting me vent. RIDE ON!

jmvette427

big_bill I agree , my daughter and i did a rest stop today on a straight away pulled over to the right her in the lead . helmets off . here comes ricky racer sees us locks brakes ****s his pants and misses my boot which is hanging over the trailside of my sled by 14 " so my daughter says to me are those his ski tracks that close ? yes i said then i hear his buddy coming and i told her we best get to the woods side of the sleds as i told his buddy that he was #1

mrbb

I agree, and worse its NOT just with snowmobling,
just look at what happens in cars and trucks on the streets today
I mean how many times has anyone been on a hwy and find two morons blocking traffic due to neither one wants to get out of the way of folks crawling up there bumpers, I am NOT saying folks behind them are right, BUT if there is two lanes a fast and slow on, and you DON"T wish to go fast, , don't block up the road and impede the flow of things

or watch folks in a large parking lot< NO one cares it seems about letting a shopping car roll about or into someone's vehicle

I personally feel there has been a MAJOR change in folks today being Embarrassed , or having pride or shame
there like missing qualities anymore

I know things I grew up that would embarrass me, are things folks today cannot wait to show to the world, and be un aware that its NOT something they should be all happy about!

so Common sense??

its becoming extinct if you ask me !!

scoot

I have been riding for years now. Put a lot of miles on and rode 75% of Michigans trails. Some day hope to say 100% but that's for me to work on. One thing I see happening more and more as this sport get more popular and more people enjoying it, is that common sense is not so common, and common courtesy is becoming a thing of the past.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't believe the sport is growing. Quite the opposite. The crowds I see are caused by people following the snow to the limited areas that do have snow. Most of the rude people I see are people that carry no ties to the local community they're riding in. While grooming, I've had to wait several minutes for large groups to take their sweet time moving their sleds off the trail, (out of state stickers, acting like I was inconveniencing them) even though they saw me coming across an open field for several minutes. In all fairness, I do see some locals who SAY they rarely ride here, and prefer to spend their time and energy towards the trails up north, that carry the same "I don't care about riding here" attitude.

miked

big_bill I agree , my daughter and i did a rest stop today on a straight away pulled over to the right her in the lead . helmets off . here comes ricky racer sees us locks brakes ****s his pants and misses my boot which is hanging over the trailside of my sled by 14 " so my daughter says to me are those his ski tracks that close ? yes i said then i hear his buddy coming and i told her we best get to the woods side of the sleds as i told his buddy that he was #1

Always get off the sled on the "woods side." I had to drill that one into my wife's head. Seen too many people in a near-miss situation like the one you had occur.

Yesterday I was on trail 11 (south boundary road) near Silver City. The trail was great so we were going 70ish MPH. We come around a slight curve and all of a sudden there was two guys stopped right in the middle of the trail taking a leak. One of the sleds was parked sideways right in the middle of the road. Talk about dumb!! They were lucky I was able to slow down and get around them. You see stuff like this more and more now.

groomerdriver

GUILTY as charged!!! Over the weekend I was taking two of my kids for their second trail ride ever. Still a fair amount of "instructional stops" and yes I broke the rule and stopped in the middle of the trail once. Our trails aren't busy like other areas but I still screwed up.

I will remind myself to not do this as well as tell the kids to not do this as well.

1fujifilm

I agree, and worse its NOT just with snowmobling,
just look at what happens in cars and trucks on the streets today
I mean how many times has anyone been on a hwy and find two morons blocking traffic due to neither one wants to get out of the way of folks crawling up there bumpers, I am NOT saying folks behind them are right, BUT if there is two lanes a fast and slow on, and you DON"T wish to go fast, , don't block up the road and impede the flow of things

or watch folks in a large parking lot< NO one cares it seems about letting a shopping car roll about or into someone's vehicle

I personally feel there has been a MAJOR change in folks today being Embarrassed , or having pride or shame
there like missing qualities anymore

I know things I grew up that would embarrass me, are things folks today cannot wait to show to the world, and be un aware that its NOT something they should be all happy about!

so Common sense??

its becoming extinct if you ask me !!

If you are an idiot behind the wheel of a car, you will be twice the moron on a sled.

mrbb

If you are an idiot behind the wheel of a car, you will be twice the moron on a sled.
I agree, I wonder how all them lousy CAR drivers could even operate a sled trying to text while driving like they do in a car LOL

I see SO many people texting while driving its SAD< all over the road, even truckers with some VERY close call's over the past few yrs??
MAN I wish people , would just pay attention and just THINK a LITTLE
its NOT that hard to be safe!! and have respect for others!

snobuilder

Too bad the same emotionally starved I GOTTA GET THERE!!!!!,>driving behavior< that is demonstrated on the freeway as folks drive north to their sledding destination also gets transferred onto the trails, Any sort of inconvenience on the trails that we came to recreate on.... shows up as high blood pressure....relax....If I came across a group that big I'd be stopping for a liquid refreshment.....much like a summertime sandbar party....relax!....Where was the fire anyways?

C

Cirrus_Driver

Yesterday I was on trail 11 (south boundary road) near Silver City. The trail was great so we were going 70ish MPH. We come around a slight curve and all of a sudden there was two guys stopped right in the middle of the trail taking a leak. One of the sleds was parked sideways right in the middle of the road. Talk about dumb!! They were lucky I was able to slow down and get around them. You see stuff like this more and more now.
I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but I don't really understand how you can be this dumb and still ride a snowmobile. No common sense at all. These are the same Idjuts coming towards you, so be careful.

POLARISDAN

Too bad the same emotionally starved I GOTTA GET THERE!!!!!,>driving behavior< that is demonstrated on the freeway as folks drive north to their sledding destination also gets transferred onto the trails, Any sort of inconvenience on the trails that we came to recreate on.... shows up as high blood pressure....relax....If I came across a group that big I'd be stopping for a liquid refreshment.....much like a summertime sandbar party....relax!....Where was the fire anyways?

liquid refreshment? get UP here!!!!

whitedust

Nobody going to ride exactly like you...who cares? Not me... if slower I pass you, if faster than me pass me, if blocking trail I ride around you. I give you hand signals take them or leave them, I roll thru stop signs on driveways follow me at your own risk. I slow way down on grades let oncoming traffic pass safetly. If you want to blast by throw ice junks all over I think you are a jerk but blood pressure stays even. I will never ask you why you do what you do on trail just NOT my biz. What's the hurry comments are stupid? Yes I ride fast simply because I can & I like it and I just don't care what others do figure that is their biz. Whatever is fun for you is aok with me. The speeding bullet on my side of trail when leading gets 1 finger salute but you won't stop so why should I care other than you stepped on my toes for a few seconds ...again just don't care keep on keeping on it always happens always will.:)

T

Tracker

IMO you see this because all the rentals and newbies are taught.....STAY ON THE TRAIL....DON'T GO OFF TRAIL.....OFF TRAIL HUGE NO NO....ETC. If only they would tell the newcomers that it is OK to go off trail even by the stay on trail signs by about 30 feet. Its more of a they don't know, except for the obvious ones like pissin in the trail. the jamokes are actually few. if you tell a new person to any sport not to do this or that, for the most part they will do it. heres what they think....well they said not to go off trail so we wont, well just stop here beside the trail on a straight section. I stop and tell them whats what

whitedust

Last week stopped for a guy at 107/2 to tell him his 2 buds were east on 2 fixing a belt so I was pretty much in the weeds on 107n. Then 4 guys I know pulled up they stopped kinda of all over the place surprised to see me. Then the 2 buds with busted belt pull up on 2 talk to their 3rd. Then 15 sleds maybe more pull in gopros on hats huge pack of sleds now all over the place. I tell leader of 4 I'm out of here riding thru to Eats in Sidnaw meet your buds there. Nobody getting thru that jammed up mess & at lunch they told me they all bsed for 30 minutes so glad I left when I did.lol

polarisrider1

Agree!

dothedoo

I came across a large group yesterday stopped and scattered about an intersection while their leader checked the map. I had to weave my way through a couple of them to get through.

I didn't think they were inconsiderate, just lost. Didn't bother me in the least.

Just thankful I didn't get to that intersection a few minutes later if they were headed my way. They looked like trail cloggers that I'd have to pick off 1 by 1 until I got to the leader at the 7th Stop sign 'cuz he never looked back to check on his group.

69CRUZR

Or how about the group of 4-5 Nytros that pulled up behind my fiancée and i, as we were going to get gas in Bergland a couple weekends ago... we were almost to the road crossing, I saw them catch up to my lady and i, and I chose not to pull over, as I could see the gas station right ahead that we were all going to, and there was a road crossing in between. Well Mr. Throttle Jockey thought it was necessary to race for position against my fiancée,trying to cut a shorter path thru the tiny woods patch before the gas station, only his trail merged right back up with the one she was on and he barely missed side swiping her...all to drive another 30 yards, cross the road and join the already 15 sleds lined up waiting to get gas... what is the point of that? Seriously! Have some respect!

scoot

If its too much to ask that people pull off to the side, maybe we can set up parking meters and use the up and coming trend of snowmobile trail parking to pad the trail fund.
Trails are for ridin', not parkin'.

POLARISDAN

Nobody going to ride exactly like you...who cares? Not me... if slower I pass you, if faster than me pass me, if blocking trail I ride around you. I give you hand signals take them or leave them, I roll thru stop signs on driveways follow me at your own risk. I slow way down on grades let oncoming traffic pass safetly. If you want to blast by throw ice junks all over I think you are a jerk but blood pressure stays even. I will never ask you why you do what you do on trail just NOT my biz. What's the hurry comments are stupid? Yes I ride fast simply because I can & I like it and I just don't care what others do figure that is their biz. Whatever is fun for you is aok with me. The speeding bullet on my side of trail when leading gets 1 finger salute but you won't stop so why should I care other than you stepped on my toes for a few seconds ...again just don't care keep on keeping on it always happens always will.:)

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH8AHAHHAAHHAHA