concealed carry

POLARISDAN

due to another post and not the place to start it..

i have for a couple years been thinking about it..never even owned a handgun..and not even for my own protection..but just what if..something were to happen in front of u..

????

dfattack

I have a CCL. I would strongly suggest you get some training and become well acquainted with your particular firearm before carrying. you have the right to obtain a CCL and should do so if you want. The classes I have taken with the well trained Illinois state police instructors were, in my opinion very helpful and will help educate you on how important it is for you to understand the law.

Last edited:

euphoric1

nothing against those that choose to, that is their choice and their right but for me the day I feel I have to carry to feel safe is the day I need to find a new place to live.

harski

I've highly considered this in the later years but more or less if riding alone and my sled breaks down. Don't want to ride alone but it's getting harder and harder to match up schedules and riding styles and I'm not giving up this sport yet. But ultimately, I have the same theory as euphoric so I'll stick to that for now.

slimcake

Going on year 8 with my CCL. Lord willing I hope to never need it. But its like a parachute. I second the thought on training. Long before you go for your CCL you should spend some quality time at a range with some good instructors. I have seen some stupid stuff at the range. I was training my uncle with a Glock and showing him how to hold it. After the fourth time of telling him to wrap his thumb under not over I had to let the slide bite him. Didn't hurt him but it made him learn how to hold it. You need to have tremendous respect for the weapon. It doesn't care what is down range. Once that bullet leaves the decisions are over. If you ever have to use it you WILL go to jail. You WILL be charged. Just something to think about. It should be a very heavy decision.

sjb

I think I started this thread either last year or the year before. While there are the 2 legged creatures to worry about, what struck me to carry was a 4 legged creature. Going back about 4-5 years ago, we rode out of Muni. My buddies sled overheated due to hard-pack trail conditions. We pulled off to the side, it was around 10 pm. We were enjoying a good conversation and taking in all the stars - it was really a beautiful night out. My buddy and I heard the same thing - a cat growl. We were both stunned at first as we never heard that before. Then the growl happened again, but much, much closer. We jumped on our sleds (very glad his cooled off enough) and got out of there. I will be honest, I felt pretty helpless. To this day, I don't know if it was a cougar (four legged, not two legged) or a bobcat, but either way it was not afraid of us and did not feel welcome. Since then, I carry.

I do know of a buddy who had a stand down with a wolf in WI, fwiw. And I did have all my stuff stolen off my sled one year. To me, those are three good reasons to carry. Just keep in mind, you can't have a drop of alcohol in your system if carrying.

durphee

Dan, you don't need a CCL......you have 2 guns already...If you want to throw down fisticuffs, fine! I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for ya, right here! movie reference!

and I have a feeling Roussea's would be without their back TV after the Bears game last year!

1fujifilm

Dan, you don't need a CCL......you have 2 guns already...[FONT=&]If you want to throw down fisticuffs, fine! I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for ya, right here! movie reference!

and I have a feeling Roussea's would be without their back TV after the Bears game last year![/FONT]

Too funny..still laughing as I was there too. It's all good, I go off too.

But really, I don't carry but own two rifles and three shotguns. I've been around guns since I was in hunter safety at like 12 (1978, wow!).
Today, my Wife is the CCL and has a gun in every room of the house and on her most of the time. Why, principle and protection.
My Sister is a CBP Pilot in Arizona and is allowed by law to CCL anywhere..even on the commercial airlines.

For me, I am mega comfortable around legally operated guns, which comes with great responsibility and training. The family I know with guns carry but also shoot them monthly to stay sharp and are passionate about that right/responsibility.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag".....OOPS, am I going too far?

Bear

G

G

I think I started this thread either last year or the year before. While there are the 2 legged creatures to worry about, what struck me to carry was a 4 legged creature. Going back about 4-5 years ago, we rode out of Muni. My buddies sled overheated due to hard-pack trail conditions. We pulled off to the side, it was around 10 pm. We were enjoying a good conversation and taking in all the stars - it was really a beautiful night out. My buddy and I heard the same thing - a cat growl. We were both stunned at first as we never heard that before. Then the growl happened again, but much, much closer. We jumped on our sleds (very glad his cooled off enough) and got out of there. I will be honest, I felt pretty helpless. To this day, I don't know if it was a cougar (four legged, not two legged) or a bobcat, but either way it was not afraid of us and did not feel welcome. Since then, I carry.

I do know of a buddy who had a stand down with a wolf in WI, fwiw. And I did have all my stuff stolen off my sled one year. To me, those are three good reasons to carry. Just keep in mind, you can't have a drop of alcohol in your system if carrying.

The chances of you hitting a big cat or a timber or anything else you might meet up with at NIGHT with a PISTOL are next to nothing. Even Chuck Norris can't do that. You would maybe just piss it off a little worse and it would torture you before it killed you. Just do what you did and ride away.

fatdaddy

there are pro's and con's to everything, I suggest going to YouTube and watching active self defense or protection ( or something like that) it show's over and over real videos of just how fast life can change. I do have a CCL but haven't carried yet, I do like the videos because it teaches you about situational awareness and keeping distances from people. Its common sense stuff but we all forget to do the simple things.

harvest1121

If I am by myself always carry if someone is riding with me just depends if I am riding by myself. Was with a group of riders off here someone hit a raccoon and someone put it down. But do what you want. First time I met Fuji thought I met a BigFoot. So glad I had it. I can say it same size as Fuji

snocrazy

My dad has always been anti gun and gives me crap saying I am paranoid. Well after a week in the hospital, he asked me if I was there would I have used it.
Of course I would have. But you do need to be educated and not get caught up in the moment. Know what is behind your target. Think about your actions and the possible consequences.
It is a big decision. He asked me if I could get him a gun. Blown away by this I say Dad, you live in IL. Back in his younger days he decided at one point it would be a good idea to fight a bunch of cops.... so he has a felony from the late 70's. I explained the FOID process etc. He was blown away that he cant just get a gun for protection given his situation. The gang bangers in the city can get guns but I cant?
So now when he gets home, I will be going down to stay for a while..... not only to do what I can for him but give him a sense of security which right now is missing.

People who say if they felt they need a gun they would move to some where else. Where are you moving to?!?!!? Utopia?
You really feel better trusting that your law enforcement is going to be there and save you when - if the time comes? Come on.
You never know. No matter where you live. A drifter can roll in to your town at any time with bad intentions.
We live in a world full of over worked, over stressed, normal every day people that can snap at any moment.

RHFD547

He may still be eligible for a FOID card due to the timeframe since his conviction. He will most likely be denied on his first application but then he can go through the appeal process. I know of a person who was convicted of reckless discharge of a firearm in Illinois who shot in the air in an attempt to ward off trespassers. His offense occurred in the last decade and he was awarded a FOID card. The easier solution would to be to move out of Illinois.

mrbb

well I am a gun guy, had a gun shop, sold thousands of em, was a shooting instructor, shot in countless forms of competition with guns
been carrying CC since legally allowed to
and have had to use more than once
THINGS happen, its not about , not wanting to, or wanting to
some times things HAPPEN<
the old saying, better to have and not need than need and not have!
applies IF your willing to LEARN to carry safely and become comfortable and SAFE with a firearm

Like it or not crime can and DOES happen every where these days

Carrying a gun is NOT for everyone, and NOT should anyone do so that doesn't wish to
and I also think, if your NOT willing to become proficient with what ever your THINKING of carrying
DON"T Bother carrying it!
your more likely to do harm than good , if ever needed! IMO!

best advice I can suggest when PICKING a hand gun, is GO look at LOTS of them, see what FITS your hand BEST, then learn some things about it, and a few others you like and THEN go to a RANGE That allows you to fire them, and pick what again, you like best and fits YOU best
don't BUY a gun due to I like it, or joe blow says to BUY it!
stick to brand names and BUY a model that fits you and you like, or you will never like it, end up NOT carrying it, and be a waste of time and money!
NEXT
take lessons from a GOOD shooter/instructor that can teach you CORRECT form, and ways to shoot
LOTS of guys THINK they know it all and are GOOD, again, THINK
I cannot ell you HOW many folks I trained , that started off telling me they KNEW what they were doing, and were FAR from GOOD, lets say!
and guys that THINK They know it, are harder to train than folks willing to admit they DON"T know how!

women all the more so were always easier to train and become good with there guns
they had a LOT less or NO< pre conceived chips on there shoulders that they KNEW what there were doing!, or had BAD habits to break!
trust me, bad habits are way harder to stop, than learning the right way from the start!

guns to day and options on how to carry have never been better or safer
if I had one gripe, it would be the silly laws every state has on carry, some NONE< some more relaxed than others
\IMO< CCP's should be legal across ALL states , as this is the USA< , my drivers lic is legal in all states, and MORE folks die in car crashes than guns buy a HUGE margin!

federal background check is the same deal in ALL states too>
so rather silly your limited to your resident state(unless some other state is willing to allow your permit(some do) )

POLARISDAN

there are pro's and con's to everything, I suggest going to YouTube and watching active self defense or protection ( or something like that) it show's over and over real videos of just how fast life can change. I do have a CCL but haven't carried yet, I do like the videos because it teaches you about situational awareness and keeping distances from people. Its common sense stuff but we all forget to do the simple things.

i find that interesting u have a ccl and never carried..

- - - Updated - - -

If I am by myself always carry if someone is riding with me just depends if I am riding by myself. Was with a group of riders off here someone hit a raccoon and someone put it down. But do what you want. First time I met Fuji thought I met a BigFoot. So glad I had it. I can say it same size as Fuji

so u almost shot him???

joking

Last edited:

POLARISDAN

My dad has always been anti gun and gives me crap saying I am paranoid. Well after a week in the hospital, he asked me if I was there would I have used it.
Of course I would have. But you do need to be educated and not get caught up in the moment. Know what is behind your target. Think about your actions and the possible consequences.
It is a big decision. He asked me if I could get him a gun. Blown away by this I say Dad, you live in IL. Back in his younger days he decided at one point it would be a good idea to fight a bunch of cops.... so he has a felony from the late 70's. I explained the FOID process etc. He was blown away that he cant just get a gun for protection given his situation. The gang bangers in the city can get guns but I cant?
So now when he gets home, I will be going down to stay for a while..... not only to do what I can for him but give him a sense of security which right now is missing.

People who say if they felt they need a gun they would move to some where else. Where are you moving to?!?!!? Utopia?
You really feel better trusting that your law enforcement is going to be there and save you when - if the time comes? Come on.
You never know. No matter where you live. A drifter can roll in to your town at any time with bad intentions.
We live in a world full of over worked, over stressed, normal every day people that can snap at any moment.

yup..so sorry for ur dad..thats why i started this here..i moved from illiinois..not just for taxes...i was in lindenhurst first house..just hate to see this **** in the burbs..so sorry