Cooke City, West Yellowstone, Togwotee

muzik

We are looking at these three as Western destinations this year. We will be traveling as a group of three. We prefer to cook some of our own meals, maybe have lunch on the trail. We need to have individual bed space for three. We prefer house type lodging if anyone knows of homes for rent in the area. We stay with Peppermill Rentals in Rockland Michigan and they are the best. We would like to find something similar to their lodging. We have been to Togwotee, but their lowest price is $200 per night for a cabin and one person has a couch to sleep on. Been through West Yellowstone while riding Island Park, unsure of house type lodging there. We have never been to Cooke City, although I have only heard good things. All three locations will work well. We are looking for valleys and bowls to play in and a little bit of climbing. Nothing real technical.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

thebreeze

West Yellowstone is a pretty big place, with a lot of lodging options. I feel the riding in West Yellowstone (Island Park, Cabin Creek, Lionshead) is similar to Cooke, but MUCH larger area overall. The town of Cooke City is awesome, and the riding and scenery is hard to beat, but the overall riding area is pretty tiny IMO. The whole place is literally tracked out by noon the day after it snows. Riding in both Cooke, and West Yellowstone/surrounding areas can be pretty technical but you have more non-technical riding in west just due to the size of the area.

The main downside to West is the length of trail ride to the good areas. When I was there this spring we trailered to the different riding areas as the snow was going fast in the valley. Cooke is one of the shortest access rides to the good riding of the places I have been.

Good luck with your decision. I have found that all places with mountains, and snow are pretty cool, so don't stress to much!

cuzzinolaf

The town of Cooke City is awesome, and the riding and scenery is hard to beat, but the overall riding area is pretty tiny IMO. The whole place is literally tracked out by noon the day after it snows.

Cooke is one of the shortest access rides to the good riding of the places I have been.

We rode Cooke in November right after T-Day a few years back and it was great. We were the only ones in town that week and the snow was deep enough without many land mines. The town is definitely awesome and the riding is very close to town like you said. I'm actually dying to go back there because it was such a good time.

polarisrider1

A group of us almost rented a cabin from this place.

http://mountainpinnacleproperties.com/
My recommendation also.
from what you described. Cooke is my favorite right now, but when I've been there it has been hotelling it and eating out for each meal.

I sugest you enlarge your group to split costs if you wish to do the lodge/cabin/cook type thing. With2-3 guys the all inclusive route is the best. why waste time cooking, hauling groceries, dishes, cleaning,etc. heck your on vacation. Larger groups are more economical when doing the cabin thing and you can rotate duties. I for one can not cook so I get stuck with dishes or dragging back to camp the frozen moose we found for dinner.

Firecatguy

40$ off a night at Tog if you book by Nov1st...not sure what nights are 200 a night but we booked and was still way way less than that.....

samc

Hard to beat Cooke. Only down side (not a big deal, bring an Otter sled) is you have to back pack your gear in 6 miles from the parking lot if our coming from the East side. MN, WI, IL, etc......

polarisrider1

Hard to beat Cooke. Only down side (not a big deal, bring an Otter sled) is you have to back pack your gear in 6 miles from the parking lot if our coming from the East side. MN, WI, IL, etc......
We go up around the top and through Yellowstone to drive there.