Copper Harbor Run-For-Fun Vintage Ride: First Experience – Excellent!

skiroule

Made my first trip up to the (9[SUP]th[/SUP] annual) Copper Harbor Antique Snowmobile Run-For-Fun this year. This is really a three day event: two different vintage rides, backwoods bonfire & cookout, sled show and awards, and a whole lot of hanging out with vintage sled fans. The weather added an element of excitement this year. The photos and video I took didn’t do it justice but it was really howling on Fri/Sat.

The people that put this together do an amazing job of preparing for the event and with all the different activities during the event. There is even talk of adding a vintage hill-climb next year. Now that would be entertaining! The real bonus is that proceeds from the event benefit the Keweenaw Random Acts of Kindness Fund.

Every part of the event was fun but from a riding perspective, the Iron Man Ride was really a blast! This is a combination on/off-trail round trip between Copper Harbor and Lac La Belle. Of the 41 machines that started out, I think only a couple didn’t finish the ride under their own power and had to take a rescue flatbed sled ride back, affectionately known to as the “Ride of Shame”. I finished without any man/machine breakdowns and got my first Iron Man sled sticker. For the weekend, the TX racked up just a hair under 100 miles and took a pretty good pounding. A pit stop/damage inspection is now in order but it’s still runnin’ great.

Was going to post a few photos but decided to just include them in a little video segment. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it.

Bradzoo

I was just about to start pestering you about pictures, thanks for the video Kelly wish I could have made it but theres always next year, I talked to Big Vin and he said the snow got a little crazy over the weekend. Glad you had a good time hopefully next year I will be more prepared.

Bradzoooo

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, I don't recall the trails being that smooth back then. Maybe next year they can pull the Groomers off for a week or two to make it "real authentic".

Nice stuff, Kelly. Thanks for sharing!

skiroule

Thanks! This one was especially fun to put together - so many good memories. I use the same editing tool as Gary (PowerDirector). I think it is a pretty powerful editor for the money.

Gary’s comment on the trails did make me chuckle. Most trails were as good as the video shows but as has been mentioned in other threads, there has been a momentary cutback in grooming. 132 coming into Lac La Belle from the north was definitely old school. Whew! It put the “Iron” in Iron Man – needed all 4” of travel. I didn’t include any video from that stretch, as most of it looked like it was taken riding a three legged camel. No sense giving people motion sickness.

Can’t believe Big Vin was there and I didn’t know it. Another Brush with Fame opportunity missed.

D

Deleted member 10829

Great video Kelly and it looks like it was a great time! I hope you ran down the Liquifire and TNT that passed you on the trail! That was a good shot.

skiroule

Mezz, I’m starting to think you’re destined for a vintage machine, if you don’t already have one.

I hope you ran down the Liquifire and TNT that passed you on the trail! That was a good shot.

I dunno Mark, those two boys were runnin’ pretty hard. In the video, the lead sled really does look like a mid-70’s Liquifire but it’s really the same 440 El Tigre’ that is in one of the opening shots. Great sled: 440 quad plug, unrestored all-original. This was its 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Iron Man. It would be fun to line up the three 440s and let em’ rip.

Taking a vintage ride along to Tog – now that would be cool. Might have to set one up for 8 – 10K someday. Riding the trails out there with it would be quite an experience.

jr37

Finally had the time to watch the video. Very cool, Kelly! I have come to find that riding those old sleds really is alot of fun.

bigvin

GREAT Video Kelly!
Yup,... I was there (but on the newer sled this year) helping out trying to make
sure any stragglers were not lost and accounted for. That is a Fantastic event.
Been to almost everyone. I am supprised I didn't recognize the TX from past
posts,.... I definately saw it,... Wish we could have hooked up.
Ahhhh, NEXT YEAR!
Once again,... Great job on the video.
I had to chuckle,... that was TomAss on the orange elan and Felmer on the 68 oly
that ya passed up. Ah,... the memories.
I'm still looking for that mint condition 69 Mustang,.... then I think I'll go back to
some vintage miles. Otherwise,... the hips and back couldn't take the Iron Man!
Wendell does a great job.

Thanks for sharing bro!
~Vin

Is it PowerDirector 12 that you guys are using for the editing? I use the gopro too, but some of the editing software that I have is difficult for me to use or has way too many options. Looking for something simpler.

skiroule

Is it PowerDirector 12 that you guys are using for the editing? I use the gopro too, but some of the editing software that I have is difficult for me to use or has way too many options. Looking for something simpler.

Polarismike, I have 11, so I’m assuming they added some new bells and whistles in 12. Like anything, there is some learning curve but if I can figure it out, anyone can. Even so, I’m probably only using about 20% of its capabilities

I have come to find that riding those old sleds really is alot of fun.

The vintage riding definitely brings back some of the sense of adventure that was a big part of the early riding years {although some would say the wrong kind of adventure}. Yes, things do go wrong but the average guy can fix them. I love the slower pace of the rides and they definitely remind me of the riding in our early years of sledding.

Big Vin, You’ve now been identified and I will see you next year.

skiroule

A Footnote - Totally Unexpected

Thought I’d post this for all of you that followed and supported the summer project this year.

I wasn’t able to make the awards show on Saturday night after the ride and I was pretty much floored when the organizer called a couple of days later to tell me that the TX took the “Best Restoration” trophy at the show.

Never had much luck showing anything – even my 4H chickens never did better than third at the county fair.

Run_For-Fun_zps8798b24f.jpg

The thing that is cool about this show is that the winners in each category are determined by participant and spectator ballot vote. Anyone attending can pick up a ballot and vote for their favorites. In a way this made it even more special that the people showed their appreciation.

Never found out who won the “Best Dressed” but I still think the kid with the VERY orange Johnson suit should have won hands-down.

D

Deleted member 10829

Congrats!!!!

That is so great! After watching the restoration process on this site, there is not doubt you deserve it! Look at that thing, it looks like new. What a great 1st time trip to this event! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

skiroule

Thanks guys, it was a heckuva first trip! Met so many good people. Guess it goes with the territory. Definitely will try to pick up my second Iron Man sticker next year.

No major projects planned for the summer (yet). Think I’ll probably spend some time getting the 340 spiffed up and replacing some parts I pirated off it to finish the 440.

Getting pretty close to having the critical stock stuff for a 77 build – been squirrelling away things all winter. Probably another year though. Of course, the mysterious SSX project could always be lurking in the background but that would be quite the challenge.

snoluver1

That is awesome news Kelly!!! What better way to cap off a vintage ride than to bring home a trophy!! CONGRATS!!