Copper Peak Hill Climb

pclark

Did anyone attend the hill climb this year at Copper Peak? I didn't even know they had one but noticed the ski jump when I flew out of Ironwood/Gogebic airport Thursday to Ohare in Chicago. They run a $102.50 round trip Regional Jet service daily except for Saturdays. I have been looking for an inexpensive way to get to Chicago and finally found it and it's only a 51 minute drive up from Manitowish to the airport. Anyway, after digging around for more info on Copper Peak I noticed they have big plans for the place as it touts being the Worlds Largest Ski Jump but it appears that not many events have been scheduled yet? Pic of the Hill and the jet from IWD Airport.
1652054623763.png
1652054647443.png

mezz

I've hiked up that animal, it really is pretty terrifying. Ski flyers are nuts IMO.

matti

My wife and I went up to the very top of the jump back in 2020. It was a fairly windy day and it was rocking back and forth. The steps to the top are an open-grate metal, so you can see all the way to the ground. I was a bit nervous and had my fill, that's for sure. We got to walk down the face of the jump, which was pretty cool.

renegade

I would like to climb it during peak fall colors once, I think its fairly popular that time of year. They don't consider it ski jumping its too big. They call it ski flying. If I remember right they actually had a skiing competition this year after a hiatus.

wiscrev

I would like to climb it during peak fall colors once, I think its fairly popular that time of year. They don't consider it ski jumping its too big. They call it ski flying. If I remember right they actually had a skiing competition this year after a hiatus.
In past years, there hasn't been attendants there after the summer. I would call to make sure you can do that. I believe it is run by the county, but not sure.