Coyote rut hunt

I got this guy last night, he slipped into the woods without any deer noticing. I had two small bucks chasing a doe at about 50 yds. when I shot him they didn't even notice. It was awesome. 2011 coyote 005.jpg 2011 coyote 009.jpg 2011 coyote 008.jpg

eagle1

Dang, I can't imagine getting a coyote with a bow. Congrats. Everyone I ever seen was always on the move, gone before you know it.

jonesin

nice!
I got my first one with a gun last year and with a bow this year
They are hard to hit, this year one came bounding in and stopped at 30 yards for a split second. It string jumped and spun nearly 90 degrees by the time my arrow got there but it only went 40 yards and down
I shoot AT everyone I see, but they mostly get away

polarisxcsp

I shot a real nice blonde and white female yote last week with my muzzleloader. It caught me off guard and was running through the corn stubble behind me at about 60-70 yards, put it about 6" in front of it and rolled it.

I'll post a few pics in about 3 months after I get the mount back.

jonesin

I forgot about this post
I shot another one dec 23rd, went out calling with the inlaws for the first time ever and the only coyote we saw was the one that i got which was leaving the area fast.
i'm going to try to call again soon, would love to see one actually come in to me.

deerhunter

ive called a bunch in. it took a while to get the rythem down with a mouth call but its very exciting when you call 3 of them in at one time. i switched to electronic calls. foxboros are pricey but are worth every pennies. you pay for what you get for electronic calls. hunting you can do all year round

jonesin

i had a friend give me an electric call to use but i only tried it a couple times so far. i like being able to sneak out with my son, call, wait for 1/2 hour and leave as compared to deer hunting where he gets bored and has to sit with me for hours, he's not that patient yet. three at once would be awsome! did you get more any of them?

buddah2

i had a friend give me an electric call to use but i only tried it a couple times so far......

I'll have to try one of those......the pack that lives at the back end of our lake is real active and our furry kids were really expensive......so far I've only been able to deplete the pack by two. I have yet to see one that can outrun a .357 though if I get a clean look at him.......YMMV

snocrazy

I hear them all the time now at night in the woods around my place. Last week I saw 2 crossing the ice on the other side of the lake. With I had a 50 cal sniper. I never have been interested in hunting coyotes but it seems their numbers are getting pretty high in the area.

Can you set out a pile of bait and make an evening of shotting these buggers? Just wondering what the rules are. I have the small game license so I think I am covered there. What methods can you legally use to hunt? Can you bait and wait at night with night vision for example? This would be fun.

Also, what do you do with them? Do you skin them and use the pelts? I dont think I would ever be interested in eating a dog like creature. You hate to waste.

buddah2

I hear them all the time now at night in the woods around my place. Last week I saw 2 crossing the ice on the other side of the lake. With I had a 50 cal sniper. I never have been interested in hunting coyotes but it seems their numbers are getting pretty high in the area.

Nah........you don't need anything that big.........even my little .22 mag does just fine.........but I used the .357 because the longest shot I ever get is 15 to 20 yds. because of the forest.......I'm way south down by CR440 and they are REALLY active down here.........

snocrazy

Nah........you don't need anything that big.........even my little .22 mag does just fine.........but I used the .357 because the longest shot I ever get is 15 to 20 yds. because of the forest.......I'm way south down by CR440 and they are REALLY active down here.........

You go to the Midway for breakfast? I ride down there often to chat and hang with Pat. I think I saw you had posted on Totalyamaha regarding docs passing. I wonder if we have met.

jonesin

Can you set out a pile of bait and make an evening of shotting these buggers? Just wondering what the rules are. I have the small game license so I think I am covered there. What methods can you legally use to hunt? Can you bait and wait at night with night vision for example? This would be fun.

Also, what do you do with them? Do you skin them and use the pelts? I dont think I would ever be interested in eating a dog like creature. You hate to waste.

by my house the only rules are shoot at every coyotte you see! well, there is a rule that you cant use a rifle at night, need to use a shotgun
the first couple i just threw in a ditch, this last one i skinned and am going to tan
i have no use for them, we used to have lots of pheasants, now they are nearly wiped out and they kill something like 1/3 the fawns

jonesin

Well, who'da thunk it, pheasants kill fawns? :eek: ( :eek: )

now you made me try and remember how that whole diagraming thing used to work
i guess that the commas should have been periods and "them and they" should have been replaced with the actual descriptions huh?
thats funny
i actually really do know how to write petty well when i try
i had this really "mean" english teacher in grade school and when i started high school the teacher there asked who went to my former school and told us we would be bored for a couple months but to use it for review, she taught us well in hind sight! :)