Current Toqwotee snow conditions?

lookin4snow

Forecast

With a winter storm warning forecast like this how can it not be good?

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... SNOWFALL OF 30 TO 40 INCHES IS EXPECTED
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. 10 TO 18 INCHES WERE
ALREADY REPORTED IN THE TETONS AS OF 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

* WIND AND VISIBILITY...WEST WINDS WILL START OUT AROUND 20 TO
30 MPH...THEN INCREASE TO 40 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS
90 MPH ON THE PASSES AND HIGHER PEAKS ON WEDNESDAY. VISIBILITY
WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

Quoted from Togwotee Snowmobile Adventures FB page today.... "the snow. IS DEEP. went riding yesterday along the Continental Divide near Togwotee Mountain Lodge and got stuck more times than I have all year COMBINED. there is a good two foot of fresh snow. it's on the heavier side so be sure to STAY ON THAT THROTTLE! have fun out there!!!"

I. Can. Not. Wait.

chicagosledder

It sounds like he may already be out there. Four of us are arriving on Mar 07 thru Mar 11, we also cannot wait. If any of you guys are out there we'll be easy to find, because we are the newbies and will be diiging out all day i'm sure.

From this morning's BTNF Backcountry Avalanche Hazard & Weather Forecast... I guess there was a death from an Avy Burial on Grouse Mountain.

Continental Divide Trails/Togwotee Pass
Jackson Ranger District, POB 1689, Jackson WY 83001
Issued: Tue February 28, 2012 6:23 AM
G E N E R A L - A V A L A N C H E - A D V I S O R Y

The general avalanche hazard is MODERATE this morning and will increase during the day as new snow and increasing westerly winds create new soft slabs and add weight to existing instabilities. Yesterday, a snowmobiler perished after triggering a medium sized slide while highmarking on Grouse Mountain. Our deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of the victim. This slide released below a cornice on a steep, east facing slope at an elevation of 9,680 feet. The avalanche had a crown depth of 30 inches, was 400 yards wide, ran 300 yards and created a deposition zone up to 15 feet. Similar slides remain possible today, and some potential persists for them to step down an additional two feet. Yesterday\342\200\231s tragic event illustrates the potential consequences of getting caught in one of these slides and caution remains warranted.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That just sucks. We had a rider in our group trigger a small slide on Grouse last year.

Does not sound like the season to be highmarking.

-John

doo_dr

The group is from the north side of the twin cities. He was waved off by a couple guys in his group. They found him after 20 minutes and people watched exactly where he was when the slide happened.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
He was waved off by a couple guys in his group.

Meaning he was told not to go, but did anyway?

I need to add that I am not trying to be judgemental here. Regardless of if he was told not to or not, it is a tragety and my sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends of the victim. I was just interested to know more as I am heading out soon and am trying to get as much info on the situation out there right now as possible.

-John

doo_dr

Meaning he was told not to go, but did anyway?

I need to add that I am not trying to be judgemental here. Regardless of if he was told not to or not, it is a tragety and my sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends of the victim. I was just interested to know more as I am heading out soon and am trying to get as much info on the situation out there right now as possible.

-John

That is what I understand from talking to a couple people at the lodge. I agree with you on the judgemental part. Everything you do out there is dangerous in one way or another. The worst accident/incident I have seen out there was on the trail 10 years ago. The person died after sliding of the trail and falling into a wash 40'.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

Boy, that just puts a shiver up my spine as the Grouse/Dry Lake area is one spot we like to play in.

-John

lookin4snow

The snow has been unstable all year due to the early season conditions. With the recent snow and wind there is unstable snowpack with weight on top of it just waiting to slide. This slide happened on a slope that is known to be unstable and slides frequently. This is a terrible event for all people involved and my condolences go out to family and friends of the victim. Everyone needs to be extremely careful this season.

marty700

Definintely not the season to be highmarking. I was out there last week with our group. We were nearby, up on Tripod. After the first few "stucks" we noticed the heavy layering of the snow. There were actually chunks/slabs of snow around the stuck machines that could be removed rather than shoveled. Then, there were two heavy snowfalls on top of that. We never really did any highmarking because of the conditions. This can be such a dangerous sport. Please be careful everyone.

The man who was killed was Jack Loxtercamp. According to his hometown media station KSAX: "It happened before 3 p.m. February 27 near Togwotee Pass in Wyoming on Drag Race Hill. Jack Loxtercamp, 35, was buried by an avalanche in three feet of snow while snowmobiling with a group of ten people." I have never heard the term "Drag Race Hill", but I'm familiar with Grouse Mountain.

My heart and prayers go out to him and his family.

Firecatguy

this did not happen on Drag race hill it happen on the hill next to it.....anyone that has been in there with Carter has been told to stay off the hill next to it.....we had a year with low snow few back and we played on said hill that the man lost his life on....here is a video of the hill.....

Firecatguy

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UPp6UKanXPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>...

marty700

Thanks for the info and the video. I'm not surprised the media got it wrong. (That's why I used quote marks!) Looks like a natural slide area even in a low snow year. Another reason why an experienced guide who is familiar with the area is an absolute must.

xcswitch

We are here at the lodge right now and all I can say is wow. Snow every day which can be a bad thing like today when we couldn't see to get out of woods back to trail to the lodge. Talking up to a foot of snow tonight. I asked the gas station worker about the accident on monday here tonight and found out the person was renting a sled from lodge and was told to stay off that area by the guide. Bad deal no matter what was said or done. Have fun and be safe.