DNR conservation officers rescue stranded snowmobilers

euphoric1

Hats off to conservation officers, very poor decision making by snowmobiliers, who is stuck retrieving sleds? wonder if they will get slap on wrist or fine. Sorry but not to smart, could have ended up much worse, hope everyone is ok and again big thank you to rescuing officers.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks to all those involved in helping these men! Rule number one slehead peeps, YOU are responsible for the rider behind you! It doesnt matter if it is trail riding, or off trail. YOU make sure the person behind you, is behind you, and if not, you stop and wait, and after 5-10 minutes of waiting, and they dont show, YOU turn around and find them.

euphoric1

Common sense rules to ride by ! Agreed Skylar VERY GOOD POINT!
Thanks to all those involved in helping these men! Rule number one slehead peeps, YOU are responsible for the rider behind you! It doesnt matter if it is trail riding, or off trail. YOU make sure the person behind you, is behind you, and if not, you stop and wait, and after 5-10 minutes of waiting, and they dont show, YOU turn around and find them.

old abe

Thanks to all who involved in these rescues! Especially those who had to trek out, and retrieve the victims! And, all victims are alive, and presumed to be doing well! They are probably a little lighter in the money end as now, however that is to be expected as such. They were in a closed area, and for the sleds retrieval. The DNR, and all Law Enforcement, performed their duties professionally, timely, and very well. Very reassuring, and to no surprise. Jackboot thugs, NOT!

coach

YOU are responsible for the rider behind you! It doesnt matter if it is trail riding, or off trail. YOU make sure the person behind you, is behind you, and if not, you stop and wait, and after 5-10 minutes of waiting, and they dont show, YOU turn around and find them.

We have a "rule" that every rider in our group wear a wrist mirror and constantly observe the rider behind them.

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Situations like that can be scary. As stated above...Thanks to the DNR and LEO’s involved in the search and rescue.

POLARISDAN

how about lay the blame where it belongs..on the riders..really..ride a river in this state? especially the UP? in a gorge in the middle of nowhere?... i have zero sympathy for them..lakes and rivers barely freeze with this type of snow..and u never know whats not..dont kno..dont go..heck goegibic with tons of sled tracks on it can be a pile of slush

and to take it one step further..their irresponsible actions put others peoples lives at risk..which is never forgivable..we r not talking about a couple guys getting lost in a snowstorm..or a breakdown..we are talking a conscious decision made which caused the outcome to have to be rescued

Last edited:

old abe

POLARISDAN, it seems as every couple of years there are several of these "IDIOT" moves. Strange, but that is the way it is. I believe 2 years back, a father, and son had pretty much the same experience. A very close call in the center of a extreme snow fall event, with wind! As I remember, they were also from Minny? Hmmmmmmmm? I won't go any further than that.

byr 13

how about lay the blame where it belongs..on the riders..really..ride a river in this state? especially the UP? in a gorge in the middle of nowhere?... i have zero sympathy for them..lakes and rivers barely freeze with this type of snow..and u never know whats not..dont kno..dont go..heck goegibic with tons of sled tracks on it can be a pile of slush

and to take it one step further..their irresponsible actions put others peoples lives at risk..which is never forgivable..we r not talking about a couple guys getting lost in a snowstorm..or a breakdown..we are talking a conscious decision made which caused the outcome to have to be rescued

i agree , what idiots , fine them heavy and take their sleds

POLARISDAN

POLARISDAN, it seems as every couple of years there are several of these "IDIOT" moves. Strange, but that is the way it is. I believe 2 years back, a father, and son had pretty much the same experience. A very close call in the center of a extreme snow fall event, with wind! As I remember, they were also from Minny? Hmmmmmmmm? I won't go any further than that.

i believe that was different..didnt they get turned around and lost..this was blatant going onto a river and UP it in a gorge..i didnt know that was illegal..so they probably didnt either..but thats a bad decision going into it..

and im sure some off trackers make some bad decisions also..but they are on land and usually in a group..its the river that tells me dumb..dumb..dumb

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
My riding crew and I do a lot of stuff that others may consider idiotic. We all love the sense of adventure, what's around the next bend, what's down in that ravine, can we make it or not? Last year my buddy Scottiking and I dropped into what we ended up calling "the valley of no return". Took us 3 hours to get out of there. That being said, we are prepared to spend the night if needed. THAT being said, I would never ride a river, ever lol. I've been in the water in winter, it's cold, and you could die from it. LOL.

snobuilder

My riding crew and I do a lot of stuff that others may consider idiotic. We all love the sense of adventure, what's around the next bend, what's down in that ravine, can we make it or not? Last year my buddy Scottiking and I dropped into what we ended up calling "the valley of no return". Took us 3 hours to get out of there. That being said, we are prepared to spend the night if needed. THAT being said, I would never ride a river, ever lol. I've been in the water in winter, it's cold, and you could die from it. LOL.

I too see a common thread with the father and son that were marooned in the cold and wet frozen where a group effort of locals and LEO rescued them from the exact same type of predicament a few years back. When this kind of thing happens and a call goes out, good folks get out and do what they can whether it is just common citizens or paid enforcement agents. Let's not confuse the 2.
This by no means justifies the over zealous nature that was displayed in IL where the DNR agents clearly were out in full harrass mode a few weeks back.

snoluver1

My fear is it's dopy city dwellers like this that are going to ruin the sport I love. With the advent of better machines, better gear, GPS, etc, .....people that have no business being in the wild are venturing further and further out. Ridiculous decision making that puts other peoples lives in danger. It's one thing to have a mechanical issue or drop into an area you have to work hard to get out of. But to leave other riders behind, go out in a raging blizzard, ride in avalanche terrain with no safety equipment, etc, etc. We keep hearing these stories more and more! Every year it seems the mentally challenged are multiplying. Eventually all the municipalities and DNR and Search and Rescue are going to say "enough is enough. We can't afford to keep chasing after idiots. Lets shut the whole thing down"....

POLARISDAN

My fear is it's dopy city dwellers like this that are going to ruin the sport I love. With the advent of better machines, better gear, GPS, etc, people that have no business being in the wild are venturing further and further out. Ridiculous decision making that puts other peoples lives in danger. It's one thing to have a mechanical issue or drop into an area you have to work hard to get out of. But to leave other riders behind, go out in a raging blizzard, ride in avalanche terrain with no safety equipment, etc, etc. We keep hearing these stories more and more! Every year it seems the mentally challenged are multiplying. Eventually all the municipalities and DNR and Search and Rescue are going to say "enough is enough. We can't afford to keep chasing after idiots. Lets shut the whole thing down"....

i dont think thats the issue and that wont happen..think about it..we lost a hiker over the weekend..so shut trails down? we lose snoboarders and skiiers every year to avalanches and lost..so stop skiing?.. no it is just common sense thats lacking and putting people at risk..as u said..especially something that can avoided..

snoluver1

I'm saying at some point, people are going to try to legislate around "stupid". Only because the financial burden hits a max of acceptance.

Last edited:

ss440

I know lots of riders in the UP that use river running to get to their off trail spots. Too risky imo. Lots of guys do it

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fear is it's dopy city dwellers like this that are going to ruin the sport I love. With the advent of better machines, better gear, GPS, etc, .....people that have no business being in the wild are venturing further and further out. Ridiculous decision making that puts other peoples lives in danger. It's one thing to have a mechanical issue or drop into an area you have to work hard to get out of. But to leave other riders behind, go out in a raging blizzard, ride in avalanche terrain with no safety equipment, etc, etc. We keep hearing these stories more and more! Every year it seems the mentally challenged are multiplying. Eventually all the municipalities and DNR and Search and Rescue are going to say "enough is enough. We can't afford to keep chasing after idiots. Lets shut the whole thing down"....

You mean "citiots?

blkhwkbob

So where exactly in the article does it point out that they were from a "city?" It says they were from "Minnesota." In Minnesota, there are plenty more rural areas than there are cities.

Also, in the past two years, there have been 30 snowmobile fatalities in Wisconsin. 4 of them were from Illinois. Yep. Us citiots are the problem.