Does Anybody have the real story on Cell coverage in Northern WI and the Yoop?

ragsled

Trying to get some input on how the cell coverage really is up there? I have Verizon currently and I know there coverage map is a pipe dream, not even close to reality. How do some of the other carriers work up there? Are their coverage maps accurate? The map below toggles between providers.

Thanks and hope I am not breaking any rules.

dfattack

I was with Verizon due to their better coverage. I have seen it get much worse in the last couple years. It might be limited to my immediate area but myself and the rest of my relatives in the same area have all seen the same thing. Was better 5-10 years ago. Not sure what happened. I even called Verizon to report it since maybe it was a bad cell tower or whatever but after 40 mins on the phone with people that could barely speak English (and couldn't understand what i was trying to report) I simply hung up. They couldn't understand that I wanted to report bad cell coverage and not bad wifi. I kid you not. They couldn't understand the difference. so frustrating.

Good luck and will watch this thread so see what others are saying.

pclark

We had Verizon when we first moved up to Vilas County, Now we have ATT, both are not very good, I really don't think anyone has great cell service. We did ATT because our daughter put us on her plan and we pay $77.00 per month for 2 new Iphones and we get Direct Stream which is huge in the Nortwoods, literally can stream anything and it's all part of the $77.00.

bobt

6 years ago MTU told parents Verizon is the only choice, but with cell towers being added weekly it has changed. Verizon in Florence and Calumet has gotten worse, we switched to T-mobile and is better in both locations but no 5g at either.

hybrid

i have straight talk on verizon network in minocqua area 37 buck a month unlimited talk text data and works everywhere i need it to
there advertising Visible by verizon on the tv here now for 30 a month unlimited talk text data and hotspot
i am going to switch to Visible next month
both prices include tax and fees
IMO although its not great everywhere verizion network has best coverage in northern wisconsin
surprised to hear people saying there coverage is not as good as it used to be
straight talk has pretty decent prices on phones too

ragsled

Good information everyone! I would like to switch from Verizon since they are about $40 over what others are charging for 2 lines and this new promo crap they have of 36 months to finance and get rebates on new phones (locking you in for 3 years or you lose discounts). T Mobile does offer a 55+ plan here in Ohio that Verizon does not have. Spectrum is an option, I guess they use Verizon towers but I hear switching phones/porting numbers is cumbersome.

euphoric1

I've been with Verizon for a long time, years ago in our group was one of the only phones that worked in the yoop, Has signal gotten better or worse? hard to say, everyone's seems spotty up there. I have family that has Att and can't get signal or sometimes text when we are at our trailer. We have a business account with Verizon and we use spectrum for our phone and internet at the shop and they are always after us to switch cel service to them, and one of their pitches is they use verizon's antennae's and I think essentially don't they all just bounce off one another? and you know how it is when someone says the grass is greener on the other side when you find out it isn't. I've got nothing to complain about the cel service in da yoop because honestly the less it works the better when I'm up there riding, enjoying the time away from civilization... there isnt anyone I really want or need to talk to....leave me alone lol.

katden4

At&t was awarded the contract for first responders, so I changed from Verizon and for the Mercer area its really good. I am not sure how the U.P. is, but will find out this winter. Verizon was great up until a couple years ago for me?

snomoman

I guess maybe when we are up in the Northland and lose cell service we have to take a long deep breath, look at our beautiful surroundings, and figure this is the price we pay for being up here and have a different frame of mind and forget about that stupid cell phone ..ha ha

wiscrev

We had Verizon on the family plan, but when my wife died they only dropped my bill by 5-7 bucks. I was paying premium and I'm also a veteran. Tried a number of times to get my bill lowered and also go on auto pay. Their system was not/is not customer friendly and finally after 3 weeks I cancelled them and went to T-mobile on my son's plan. I have excellent svc here in St Germain, my only problem is the new fone. When you are 6-7 generations past this electronic age, it gets confusing trying to figure out how to work these gadgets, lol.

pclark

I guess maybe when we are up in the Northland and lose cell service we have to take a long deep breath, look at our beautiful surroundings, and figure this is the price we pay for being up here and have a different frame of mind and forget about that stupid cell phone ..ha ha
Right on Brother!

ragsled

I understand that, but my 86 year old mother lives about 15 miles outside of Hayward fom May to October, I spend about 8 weeks of that time up on her property. When we lose phone or power it sometimes takes days to get it back, not to mention that if I am 15 minutes late getting back from golf or fishing she is calling AND emailing (thank goodness she does not text, LOL). So I kinda need to stay connected. Verizon cell is usable in the spring before the trees leave up, then it is 'no service', but their maps show 5g coverage, hahah. The Tmobile map shows less coverage but looks to me that the Verizon map actually aligns better with the Tmobile map in actual service around Hayward.

dfattack

I've been with Verizon for a long time, years ago in our group was one of the only phones that worked in the yoop, Has signal gotten better or worse? hard to say, everyone's seems spotty up there. I have family that has Att and can't get signal or sometimes text when we are at our trailer. We have a business account with Verizon and we use spectrum for our phone and internet at the shop and they are always after us to switch cel service to them, and one of their pitches is they use verizon's antennae's and I think essentially don't they all just bounce off one another? and you know how it is when someone says the grass is greener on the other side when you find out it isn't. I've got nothing to complain about the cel service in da yoop because honestly the less it works the better when I'm up there riding, enjoying the time away from civilization... there isnt anyone I really want or need to talk to....leave me alone lol.
Until you need it in case of emergency. Been there done that. We can always turn it off but it’s nice to have it if necessary.

srt20

Good information everyone! I would like to switch from Verizon since they are about $40 over what others are charging for 2 lines and this new promo crap they have of 36 months to finance and get rebates on new phones (locking you in for 3 years or you lose discounts). T Mobile does offer a 55+ plan here in Ohio that Verizon does not have. Spectrum is an option, I guess they use Verizon towers but I hear switching phones/porting numbers is cumbersome.
Porting numbers is easy and done by the carrier. They have to if you want to keep your number. Switching phones, or taking your phone with you to new carrier is even easier. You can do it yourself, or have retail store do it for you.
Don’t let those be reasons why you dont switch, if that what you wish to do.

srt20

I switched to Att a couple years ago. It’s been as good or better than Verizon in almost every place Ive been, including out west. Maybe not deal breaking better for weekend trips to different locations, but maybe if you have a cabin somewhere.
We switched because it was as good, but mainly because they offered physicians discounts. We are paying less for 4 phones on Att than we were for 3 phones on Verizon.

durphee

We have a place about 15 miles south of Hayward and we use AT&T. We get descent coverage but, as usual, there are hit and miss spots. But honestly, it seems that although I get service I usually just use WIFI calling whenever I am at a bar/resort/business/etc... This so far has worked well. I know we are not always by a wifi spot but between the 2 it has worked. Heading south of Hayward on 27 is always the worst spot for cell!

WorkHardPlayHrd

Verizon works well for me around Hayward. South kf Hayward ok. From Drummond to hwy 63 hwy 2 intersection NOTHING. Our daughter is attending college in Ashland. So it's a concern.