Dog, outside kennel or in house?

George

I want to get a hunting dog and want to leave it outside in a kennel attached to the shed. When its really cold or extremley hot it can be inside or in the garage.
Momma says that is very cruel and no dog is to be outside. I was going to get a dog when I bought my house but started dating her the same week and she already had a dog and I didn't want two. Hers turned out to be very gun shy and a baby so no hunting for him. After 7 years I want to get one really bad but this issue is getting the best me. I don't really want two in the house full time, what to do? Do you keep your dog in a kennel or in the house, and do you believe its cruel. The one I'm looking at is 2yrs old and is already an outside dog?

srt20

Just dont get an inside dog, and try to make it an outside dog. Otherwise, if the dog is a pup, or already an outside dog, it doesnt know the difference.

Old dogs can be trained not to be gun shy.

maddogg

I've had both. It sounds like your going to give it plenty of shelter so it shouldn't be a problem. This thread made me lagh though. On the news one day they had a special on keeping your pets warm - especailly if they are outside. I have an inside dog now and he was out at the time doing his business when the special was on. It was pretty cold (-20 or so) and I look out the window and here he is rolling/digging/eating the snow. I couldn't stop laughing. Then the specail suggested that I get him some dog booties.

zimmbob

I think the real key here is the amount of attention you give your dog. I personally don't like outside kennels, but that is mostly because the ones I see, are people with an "invisible" dog. They feed and water, but have very little other interaction. Seems like if you want to hunt, you'll have the dog out alot, so that's great. When you are home, let it out to be with you. It will know when it's time to go back to the kennel, and be fine with that. And if s/he has access to shade and shelter from the bitter cold, I'm sure it's fine. Just treat it like a member of the family, and not an inconvenience......

yamahauler

Uncle had a deal where his garage was heated. He built a Kennel inside the garage...maybe 6ftx6ft right in the corner. Then he had a dog door to an outdoor kennel that was 6x10 so the dog could go outside. Worked great...he has had 3 hunting dogs use it over time.

shoelessjoe

What ever you are gonna do, make sure you do it from the start before you're wife get's ahold of the dog!!! I bought a GSP with aspirations of making him into a bird dog. Bought him in the fall and was gone deer hunting alot and the wife was home with the dog. By the end of the fall I had a GSP that slept on the couch and thought he was a lap dog!!! Now, 4.5 yrs later I have a spoiled 78lb wannabe lap dog instead of the bird dog I had hoped for!!!!

Here is a pick taken last night as we watched TV. Yes that is the couch in my living room and yes those are the throw pillows he is resting his head on. He was tired after his walk apparently.

I blame the wife for the spoiled dog but it's my fault really. I never made the time to train him and put in the effort. His instincts are good and his energy is great. Siblings are good hunters, I'm sure he would have been as well. If you want a hunting dog make sure you do the training all the way and put the time and effort in. Nothing better than a great huntin dog and nothing more frustrating than trying to hunt with a lousy one.

Attachments

• spoiled.jpg
    spoiled.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 101

pirate

only if he's truly a outside bread

personally not a fan of not having my dog with me when i'm home. if he's really a good bread for being outside , then a good kennel and shelter at least during the day while your at work should be good.. but if your not going to give it alot of time and energy when you are home then why even have a dog. all dog's are basically social animal's and look at there owner as a pack leader. unless it's in the top 3/4 bread's that can handle winter, husky/malamute/st.ber/samoyian, or along those line's then during that 2/3 month's of hard winter(depending on where you live) they should at least be in a somewhat heated garage .. also elec water dish is need'd for the cold time and honestly do not buy crappy chain store type dog food or generic cheap crap just because it's cheap.. it'll do no good for your dog's health.also figure with shot's and doctor visit's , food and stuff i spend 30 to 50 a month on my dog's each. and my time of at least a hour a day of playing/traingand walking/running them both.. personally i think owning dog's is a bigger time consumer than kid;s at time's.. but also a **** of a lot more rewarding then the kid or the wife's nagging at time's.. **** put a couch and tv out in the kennel , tell the wifey it's for your dog's well being and you'll probably spend more time in there than in the house your self!!
oh ya 100% micro chip your dog and make sure he's got his collar tag with your # and address and his nameon it... alright got go, time to go out and pick up the dog crap.. did i mention that part of dog ownership, best part.. lol
pirate

maddogg

Dog Poo

Speaking of dog poo - I throw all of mine over my fence which butts up against a corn feild. Now that the snow is gone I can't wait for the farmer to disk as it is pretty unsightly. Plus the wife doesn't like when I don't clear the fence and paint it with poo.

We had a yellow lab that was an outside dog in Minnesota, and he did great -- lived to be 13 1/2 with zero health problems. In winter we couldn't open the kennel door fast enough so he could dive through the fresh snow. He had a concrete pad/kennel next to the garage, with a doggie door into the heated/insulated garage. We walked/played with him at least twice a day year-around. This is a great alternative to having another dog in the house.

revman

I have a lab that I use for hunting. Most of the time, he goes out to his kennel during the day. He loves being outside, and I have a nice big kennel for him. When I get home at about 5:00, he comes inside with us. He sleeps on our bedroom floor on his dog bed. He's a great hunter, so those that say you can't have both are just blowing smoke.

REVman

snowbuff

My dogs are not hunting dogs but, dogs do need to part of the "pack" so why not outside during the day and sleep with the rest of the pack (inside) at night?

Pizza Man

We have 2 dogs.
One is a 160# Alaskan Malamute that stays outside all year round.
I have a kennel inside the garage for him at night with a opening to go to his outside run.
We also have a YorkiPoo.
Just got her from our neighbors who didn't want it. She is a inside dog.
Our Malamute will not come in the house because it's to warm. Even with the air on in the summer, he will not come in.
Here is Gallaghar loving his favorite time of the year, Winter.
December09SnowStorm101.jpg

frnash

My initial post about the huskies in the Iditarod was clearly citing the extreme case, of course I was not suggesting that George do the same.

I'd be inclined toward the indoor/outdoor combination, to let the dog decide what's right for him/her. It is also important to let your dog spend time with the rest of the pack (family)!

Incidentally, most good dog trainers will tell you the major training challenge is not training the dogs, but training the owners! Just ask Cesar Millan, for example.

… put a couch and tv out in the kennel , tell the wifey it's for your dog's well being and you'll probably spend more time in there than in the house your self!
Now that may be the best suggestion in this thread! ;)

hens

My lab who is 11 now, is both an inside and outside dog. She is in the kennel outside when we are not home, and when we are, she is allowed inside. I wanted not only a hunting dog, but a family pet. It seems a shame to me not to have the dog by me when I'm there.

As for health, I personally believe (as with people) it's what you put in the tank that matters, along with exercise. I buy whey I believe is the best food available (probably a very personal decision) it's food with a salmon and bison base.

FWIW, my previous lab lived to be 16 under the same conditions.

hens

revman

We have 2 dogs.
One is a 160# Alaskan Malamute that stays outside all year round.
I have a kennel inside the garage for him at night with a opening to go to his outside run.
We also have a YorkiPoo.
Just got her from our neighbors who didn't want it. She is a inside dog.
Our Malamute will not come in the house because it's to warm. Even with the air on in the summer, he will not come in.
Here is Gallaghar loving his favorite time of the year, Winter.
December09SnowStorm101.jpg

That's one of the best pics I've seen in a long time! I've always wanted a Malamute, but not sure they hunt very well!

nic

Apex- love the photo! It looks like Gallaghar was happily sleeping outside during a snowfall until someone interrupted him to take a picture. An old friend from back in the day had a malmute and it was funny to see all of the 'bowls' he melted in the backyard. He'd get all comfy in the snow, it would melt around him into a bowl, and he'd get up to a new pile of snow. Those dogs sure do love to sleep in the snow!

As for indoor/outdoor. I've only had spoiled indoor dogs. But I have a friend who got a hunting lab from an owner who could no longer care for him. He was always an outside dog, and still is. He has a nice outdoor kennel.... concrete pad, headed water bowl, dog house in the kennel, and a little 'perch' to keep him off the concrete as well. He loves to run around when they're home and get his exercise, but he happily hangs in the kennel as well. As long as your ouside dog doesn't become an afterthought (in other words, he gets plenty of attention, interation, and care)- I don't see anything wrong with it.

maddogg

One more thing I just thought of. If you live in a subdivision, make sure you can have a kennel. If I wanted to put one outside I would have to get approval from our association. PIA but I chose to live there.

snowfish

Our fuzzy friends have is pretty rough. LOL! Huge fenced in backyard with dog houses if needed. When we're home, well, they're part of the family.

Attachments

• Dog Houses e.jpg
    Dog Houses e.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Josh Antonia & the Puppies e.jpg
    Josh Antonia & the Puppies e.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 61