Dog, outside kennel or in house?

George

The dog we have is micro chipped so we would definatly be doing that. He's an English springer and everyday in the winter when we let him outside he rolls and plays in the snow, comes inside with frozen snowballs on his face. I was looking at a GSP but it appears he is going to get bought by a breader. That makes me mad because this guy is just gonna bread him and not use him like they wanted to be used. But i guess its my loss.

Pizza Man

No, not a hunting dog, just a big Teddy Bear.

Yes, I did wake him up for the pic.
The last snow that melted in his area was where he lays. His body heat turns the snow into ice.
He does have 2 king size quilts in his kennel for the winter. Otherwise the colder the better.

Gallagharandthesnow002.jpg

MUNISING001.jpg

fireman35

outside doesnt hurt them especially if he's already an outside dog he would be hot in the house. Most prefer to be outside year round.I have the same deal with my wife....no they cant be out there that long. like something will happen to them?

revman

If it's below about 15 degrees, my lab comes inside during the day. But that's because he's a lab and doesn't have that "thick" coat of hair. I know, they are insulated pretty well, but not like a husky or malamute that just start hitting their stride at that temp. Plus, my wife works from home most days, so he likes to guard (which really means sleep) next to her while she works.

98panther

Husky, OK maybe. Although my brother did have a husky mix and was good house dog liked being outside though too.

Otherwise I think dogs should be trained and allowed in the house. Or just don't get one. They are not horses. They have been breed to be with people. Hunt with, protect, companions. Caged up outside waiting for you to find time with him, is cruel and gives them no chance to do what natural to them except bark.

Pizza Man

Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskys or Husky mixed, are two different breeds.
Mine has all the freedom of any other dog. He is only kenneled at night. The rest of the time he is out of it- 7:00am to 10:30 pm
It is his option that he doesn't want to come in a warm house.
They are an outside dog.
I've had Malamutes for 20 years, so I think I know what I'm doing.

Now our YorkiePoo is completely different. She is an inside dog and would freeze to death if left outside in the winter for any length of time.

Xsnow5

Tough question and depends completely on who is answering. I have a few buddies that fully believe and will only keep the dog outside to establish its coat and keep active. However I do have many hunting buddies that keep there dogs inside like I do. Maybe I have lucked out but sadie 4 years old is a great dog for the house and hunting but is very active, I take her out almost ever day to fetch. She is also outside alot due to the fact that she just likes it. I will mention that she was very gun shy due to a close encounter with a firework by my stepson when she was young. With much work and time I broke her of that fear. Just my two cents.

Attachments

• IMG00064-20090731-1713.jpg
    IMG00064-20090731-1713.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00004-20100228-0950.jpg
    IMG00004-20100228-0950.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_3349.jpg
    100_3349.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: