Dollar General

snobuilder

The wife and I play a game as we travel around WI.....It's called spot the latest Dollar General....LOL.

fishcrib

No kidding...I went in one for the first time this weekend. I couldn't believe everything they have.
Probably will over expand and run into trouble.

ICT Sledder

They may be convenient, but they are doing the same thing to small towns that Walmart did to medium-sized towns over the past forty years - hollowing out all other local retail business and putting local business owners who live in the community out of work. A huge corporation vacuuming away wealth and sending it to institutional investors and to the urban areas in which they are HQ-ed, giving nothing back but a few crappy jobs, and led by folks who have literally nothing in common with small town America. Lots of folks have the opinion that DG (and the others) are a scourge or a cancer.

Makes me sound like a lefty, but trust me I'm not.

snobuilder

They may be convenient, but they are doing the same thing to small towns that Walmart did to medium-sized towns over the past forty years - hollowing out all other local retail business and putting local business owners who live in the community out of work. A huge corporation vacuuming away wealth and sending it to institutional investors and to the urban areas in which they are HQ-ed, giving nothing back but a few crappy jobs, and led by folks who have literally nothing in common with small town America. Lots of folks have the opinion that DG (and the others) are a scourge or a cancer.

Laona, WI got the Family Dollar about 12 years back. The local family run store closed shortly after. I was bummed , they had fresh meat.

snobuilder

LOL...
They expect alot. No dedicated check out. They look to be told to stock the store and mop the bathrooms in between customers. Rarely see more than 2 associates on a shift at a time.

We have seen at least 8 DG built in northern WI this past year or so and our traveling is very limited.

Hoosier

Agreed. It's a double-edged sword for sure. Consumers get lower prices in the meantime, which everyone needs especially these days, but nearly all that money leaves the community.

mezz

These stores are cropping up everywhere. 3 years ago one was put up in Lake Linden & now there is another one to be constructed in Dollar Bay. This will make 5 in a 20 mile radius.

chunk06

I agree, I avoid shopping at Dollar stores If i can. Kwik Trip is pretty much taking over the gas station/ small convenience stores in Wisconsin, I fear that will be bought out someday.