Dolly Advice?

Wondering anybody can recommend a dolly. My father is getting older and can't move his sled around the garage. Its a beast for most people( 2up polaris IQ). Basically looking for something over built, that can handle a two up, and easy to use for less experienced individuals. Saw on youtube the "Monster Dolly" looked nice but they were moving a puny skidoo tundra around in the video. Anybody have direction to point me in to move this giant POO? thanks

jr37

I have the individual dollies, one for each ski and one for the track. It's easy to do and move the sled around. I had a big one that you lift the whole sled and I never liked it, it was just to clumsy.

T

Team Elkhorn

I have the individual dollies, one for each ski and one for the track. It's easy to do and move the sled around. I had a big one that you lift the whole sled and I never liked it, it was just to clumsy.

I agree. I have a large dolly similar to the monster dolly and rarely use it. I think its buried somewhere in my basement. I have 5 or 6 sets of the small ones that jr37 mentioned above that fit under each ski and track separately , and IMHO those are much easier to use and move heavy sleds around. But PM me if your interested in a used large one.;)
View attachment 38958

anonomoose

You can make your own for 10 percent of what you buy a patented unit for.

Go to big box hardware store or shop the web for heavy duty swivel wheels that have ball bearing swivels. If your garage floor is not smooth buy the hard rubber wheels...if the floor is smooth and uncracked, buy the all steel wheels...they roll around easier.

Then buy two treated 2x6x 8 lumber and make a "cross" with a strong bolt to attach the two pieces so that the cross can be swung back and forth ....position the whole deal between the struts and swing under each ski. Cut the board that will stretch between the skis just a couple inches wider than the width of the sled. Then lift the rear and slide the longer plank under the track.,,,

The whole sled is now on rollers. I put some non-slip rubber (old lawn mower tire cut up) to position on each ski section so it won't tend to slide off the plank...and another under the whole length of the plank under the track. (well not the whole length...but a big section...have to be able to scissor the two boards and if too long it will impede the scissor action

If you are careful, you can start the sled and goose it and the whole deal will roll out the back of the sled....but if you hit the throttle too hard it will go flying.

Probably 40 bucks in parts....when not in use, it folds up nicely along the wall in the garage.

Last edited:

I have a set of those and I use a furniture dolly for under the track works great, but my dad can't pick up the back of his sled to put it on the wheels. That's why I'm looking into a new way to move the sleds around.

T

Team Elkhorn

That's the one I was thinking about. Great idea! I think they posted that on here as they were developing it a few years ago.
Yep, it seems like it would even be easier to move the sled around the garage then the three piece ones because the skis wont turn and get in the way.

soxfan3

I saw this one demo'd at one of the Snow Shows. It worked so well that my buddy bought one. The girl in the picture costs extra.

http://www.eazymovecarts.com/ezmove/index.html

I got one of these from the Show in Milwaukee. I like it. Works for any size or brand of sled. The 'bumper handle' slides to fit any length sled, you can remove it for storage or put it on other side of sled if needed. You can also use it to unload or load a sled from enclosed trailer if you dont have reverse.

90s

Go to Harbor Freight. I got two small dollies for the skiis & one large one for the track, you'll have to have some way to lift the sled up. works fine & not that costly.

snowdance

You can make your own for 10 percent of what you buy a patented unit for.

Go to big box hardware store or shop the web for heavy duty swivel wheels that have ball bearing swivels. If your garage floor is not smooth buy the hard rubber wheels...if the floor is smooth and uncracked, buy the all steel wheels...they roll around easier.

Then buy two treated 2x6x 8 lumber and make a "cross" with a strong bolt to attach the two pieces so that the cross can be swung back and forth ....position the whole deal between the struts and swing under each ski. Cut the board that will stretch between the skis just a couple inches wider than the width of the sled. Then lift the rear and slide the longer plank under the track.,,,

The whole sled is now on rollers. I put some non-slip rubber (old lawn mower tire cut up) to position on each ski section so it won't tend to slide off the plank...and another under the whole length of the plank under the track. (well not the whole length...but a big section...have to be able to scissor the two boards and if too long it will impede the scissor action

If you are careful, you can start the sled and goose it and the whole deal will roll out the back of the sled....but if you hit the throttle too hard it will go flying.

Probably 40 bucks in parts....when not in use, it folds up nicely along the wall in the garage.

anonomoose,

Do you have pics of this? Sounds interesting, but I can't totally picture it.

skiroule

anonomoose,

Do you have pics of this? Sounds interesting, but I can't totally picture it.

I kind of like this idea too. With 5 sleds to jockey around in the off-season, I might have to make a few of these and just leave some of them on the dolly. The thing I like about this setup is that more of the track is supported and the idea that you can just drive the machine off is pretty cool.

If I understand correctly, it is really a "T" with a bolt that holds the long and short part of the T together and allows the two parts to rotate. You roll the long part of the T under the machine between the end of a ski and the track, lift each ski and slide the ends of the short part of the T under the skis (this can be done one at at time because it rotates). Then lift the back and roll the long part of the T under the track (again because it rotates).

With regard to the original question, individual dollys might work if a stand that is typically used to lift the track off the ground would lift the machine high enough to slide a dolly under the track (assuming that the ski dollys could be placed without lifting assistance).