Door County, WI

snowdance

Heading up this weekend with the girlfriend. Its been at least 12 years. Looking for ideas. Yes I know there is plenty to do. Just looking for must see/do things. Planning on a fish boil, planning on going to Washington Island, maybe even Rock Island. Just looking to hear other ideas in case there new things or anything I haven't thought of. TIA

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peninsula State Park. You can take the car or the bike to ride throughout. There's a beach on Nicolet Bay along with camping, a camp store, they also have rentals for kayaks, small sailboats, etc. On the Lake Michigan side there's the Cana Island lighthouse. A great place for family pictures but it's out of the way and you'll need directions. Ask one of the locals in Baily's Harbor.

There's a Mariner's museum in Gill's Rock, that's on the way if you're going out to Washington Island. The ferry docks in Gill's Rock. There's Goats on the Roof of Al Johnson's restaurant in Sister Bay. Lots of shops for the ladies, antique stores, and places to eat & drink.

We've been going there for years, there's lots to see and do if you know where to look.

Gary

packerlandrider

Sort of sad to say I spent 18 years growing up at the base of the Door peninsula and I still can't hardly come up with anything... Granted, Northern WI was always more my style :) Anyways, a couple things come to mind from snowmobiling up there: stop at P.C. Junction for a meal (deliver food/drinks via model train), and go ride around Potawatomi State Park as well, great views from the observatory tower!
potawatomi.jpg

1fujifilm

Heading up this weekend with the girlfriend. Its been at least 12 years. Looking for ideas. Yes I know there is plenty to do. Just looking for must see/do things. Planning on a fish boil, planning on going to Washington Island, maybe even Rock Island. Just looking to hear other ideas in case there new things or anything I haven't thought of. TIA

It should be hot and humid this weekend, go to Frank Murphy Park and go swimming, water is clear for about 10 feet and sand bars will allow you to walk out in the Bay quite a ways for privacy. I am going myself. Dry off and drive a bit further up the peninsula and stop at Shipwrecked for some home brew.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

Sort of sad to say I spent 18 years growing up at the base of the Door peninsula and I still can't hardly come up with anything... Granted, Northern WI was always more my style :) Anyways, a couple things come to mind from snowmobiling up there: stop at P.C. Junction for a meal (deliver food/drinks via model train), and go ride around Potawatomi State Park as well, great views from the observatory tower!
View attachment 53882

FYI Observatory tower is closed due to unsafe structure. Sad but true, supposed to be rebuilding sometime.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

My wife was born in S.B. and says Pellitiers fish boil is best, probably White fish only and about $20 a head plus beer cost.

Bear

Lived in Door County for 20 years. The Northern Sky Outdoor performing arts theatre was always one of my favorite venues. Lumberjacks In Love plays Saturday night, excellent show by Fred Alley. Of course, a visit to Donny's Glidden Lodge is a must. Best prime rib around, make reservations! Beautiful water view of Lake Michigan.

HH

Wyelde

It depends on what you like, There are a number of theater groups, Northern Sky, and Peninsula Players are both outside venues in the woods. One thing we did a couple of years ago was a Segway tour http://www.glidenew.com/segwaythedoor.html If you never tried one of those, they are a blast. And, don't forget the wine tasting, there are a bunch of winerys there

snowdance

My wife was born in S.B. and says Pellitiers fish boil is best, probably White fish only and about $20 a head plus beer cost.

That's where we ate Friday. Was a great fish boil, then a great sunset view at the end of the road just past the White Gull Inn.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a fantastic weekend, but that just isn't enough time to see and do all the neat things in Door County. We stayed on the Quiet side which was a bonus.

1fujifilm

That's where we ate Friday. Was a great fish boil, then a great sunset view at the end of the road just past the White Gull Inn.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a fantastic weekend, but that just isn't enough time to see and do all the neat things in Door County. We stayed on the Quiet side which was a bonus.

Great to hear.
We went up Saturday to Egg Harbor on the cycles and there was a music fest, good times. It was about 10 degrees cooler than Green Bay and that was sweet as GB was about 88.

utinans

my favorite park would be cave rock point county park on the northeast side.go towards whitefish dunes and instead of making a right and having to pay to go in park make a left and try the free county park that would be cave rock point.i think its county road wd that takes you there.it used to be kinda quiet up there but last few years the parking spots fill up quick,especially on the weekends some people will even be parking on the side of the road.the rock formations,cave and the path along the lake are really cool.the brave people dive off of the cliffs into lake michigan