Drinking and Boating Safety

Dave_B

As Wayne's Attorney, I would advise him to take the 5th amendment on this question. Any response may be used against him either now or in the future.

polarisrider1

After considerble counsel from my Attorney, I can state, "The smaller the boat, the bigger the party". I sit in the old folks section of the Marina (big boats) and I now can leave the party and not be the Party, (all being done on dry land or rafted off for the long haul).

I do see drunken boating all day long on the weekends. The sheriff, DNR and Coast Guard can't catch them all. I most certainly do NOT condone such practice. On the "hook" (anchored) the law can't really touch you unless you draw their attention. (just cause).

If I decide to "let my hair down" I will be slipped or on the hook for the duration (until morning). I need my drivers license. Sad to hear of the boy being killed and hope the guy fries.

snowdancer

"He added that no law prohibits people from drinking and driving a boat. "There is a law that says you cannot drive a boat when you are intoxicated," he said."
This is a quote from the article. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this statement! Anyway, this must have been horrific for this family to go through. And then the guy goes to Mexico or wherever for a friends wedding!? If I had this happen I'd just go off in a corner and off myself- I do not think he has any remorse for what happened to this child! I agree with your statement about him frying, and if memory serves me right I think Illinois has the death penalty? I know it wasn't first degree murder but the level of negligence involved here is unbelievable!! My prayers go out to this little boy's family.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
"He added that no law prohibits people from drinking and driving a boat. "There is a law that says you cannot drive a boat when you are intoxicated," he said."
This is a quote from the article. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this statement! Anyway, this must have been horrific for this family to go through. And then the guy goes to Mexico or wherever for a friends wedding!? If I had this happen I'd just go off in a corner and off myself- I do not think he has any remorse for what happened to this child! I agree with your statement about him frying, and if memory serves me right I think Illinois has the death penalty? I know it wasn't first degree murder but the level of negligence involved here is unbelievable!! My prayers go out to this little boy's family.

I think what that means is you can drink and boat, but you can't drink enough to be over the legal limit and still drive the boat. Very very sad.

arcticgeorge

Zero tolerance now on the Chain o lakes where that happened for people who are driving a boat. .Not sure why that article doesnt say that. Had the Lake County Sherrif on my friends boat a couple years ago. That family will never be the same. I grew up minutes from there and it's been know for years that skiiing or tubing on the weekends (or other busy holidays) is a bad idea. My friends Dad would say if you go down and have a ski near you stick it up in the air.