Drive belt/clutch issue after blown belt

jughead

Need some help here. Blew my drive belt on my 2007 RMK Dragon 700 155" running the last few miles back to cabin at Kruop's this past winter. When I put the new belt on it is so tight that the sled cannot be pulled over without the track in the air. If it would start that way it would stall when sat down to the ground. Could clutch have been adjusted to the worn belt and make the new one seem tight? Could there be pieces of unseen belt in clutch? It is the correct belt so I'm baffled. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanx!

lotoftoys

Pull the belt off and see if you can open the shivs on primary any further with a little force. If it was mine I would remove the clutch and tear down. Could be belt strands not letting clutch open all the way but I doubt it. Something is wrong in the clutch.

dcsnomo

May be obvious but make sure you are installing the correct belt.

Yeah, that was where I was headed. Not meaning to insult you or anything, but if it all worked with belt 1, and it doesn't work with belt 2, and the belt is the only thing that's changed I would check the belt first.

whitedust

Could be belt deflection but that is extreme if the correct belt something not right in your clutch. Always good to tear down the clutch clean & replace worn parts. I'm always amazed how peeps ingnor clutch maintenance since this is where the HP meets the track so should be the 1st thng to maintain for peak performance.

ezra

every fall tear them down run them through the dish washer replace any suspect parts . it is basic maintenance .but I also have buds who put 4k on a sled and only open the hood for adding oil and dont have issues . go figure

mezz

I would have to agree with dcsnomo & jccams on this one. As they say in wood shop, measure twice, cut once. Make sure the part number is the right one.-Mezz

mikedrh

Look at how high the belt rides up and out of driven clutch. You may need to adjust driven clutch via the adjuster bolt on the face next to the mounting bolt. Screw the bolt in, driven clutch opens and reduces tension on the belt.

Or, maybe broken motor mount and thats what killed the other belt?

jughead

It is the correct belt. Tried the adjustment on the driven clutch in the Krupps parking lot that same day and also when I got home from trip. It does help but doesn't cure the issue. I run out of adjustment before I'm able to pull the rope like I should be able to. Sled still has to be started with track off the ground. I agree it sounds like wrong belt bcuz it is so close to being right but it is the right belt. Still baffled! 😡

mikedrh

Does the belt still ride up out of the driven clutch with the adjuster bolt all the way in?

If so, the shim that the adjuster bolt rides on probably has a groove worn in it and won't open the driven clutch enough.

Disassemble the driven, install a new washer (shim) right on top of the old one. Leave the old one in, you will have two stacked up.

jughead

Ok I did some more wrenching/investigating on the clutch today. The secondary clutch is absolutely fine, works correctly and belt is just barely sticking out of it. I'm pretty sure the issue is in the primary. Belt is making contact with the sheaves on it and when spun by hand the track spins. Seems I need the primary sheaves to be a bit farther apart. Shims? No broken motor mounts or anything so any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

lotoftoys

Unless you are good at clutches bring it to Leone's in Peru. Something has let go in primary and will not let it open 100%. Primary clutches take a beating and need regular maint.

mezz

Unless you are good at clutches bring it to Leone's in Peru. Something has let go in primary and will not let it open 100%. Primary clutches take a beating and need regular maint.
Yes, like pins, bushings & weights. They should be serviced each season. I went back and re-read the first post & didn't pick up on this sled being an 07, perhaps it's had no service, I didn't even give that a thought. Good point lotoftoys.-Mezz