Drive chain tension?

ncmlj

What should the chain tension be when pulled tight on one side? 1/4"? 1/2"? Any help would be appreciated.

dooeragain

Need to know the yr. & make of sled!! If it's a Doo tighten the tensioner till tight then back off one hole & put the pin back in. ( Most REVs work this way)

jimfsr

snug up the chain. Not tight like a rubber band, just so there really is no "free play" in the chain, It should move a little if you push on it, but not slack.

sleddog66

I dont have yamaha, but on all polaris, I tighten the tension bolt with my FINGERS ONLY as tight as I can, then jam the nut with a wrench. This leaves a "slight" play in the brake rotor/jack shaft.

Tito

You got it right when you pull one side tight 1/4 inch mid span its universal for cain drives with up to 12 inch CD's. Thats is tight as you want to go you can be looser and free up some power. But not too much with the way sleds can jump nowadays you dont want a crack the wip effect when landing with the power on

polarfreek

I dont have yamaha, but on all polaris, I tighten the tension bolt with my FINGERS ONLY as tight as I can, then jam the nut with a wrench. This leaves a "slight" play in the brake rotor/jack shaft.

X2 That's one of the best ways from a 25 yr polaris tech.