drive cogs slipping in track

02edgehead

i recently put new bearings and a new track(used) in my sons polaris 600 edge x. at slow speeds( barely moving) you can feel/hear a jerking from the drive cogs actually slipping in the track. the track is plenty tight. the drive cogs are in good shape too. i have matching sled and my cogs are extremely worn and it doesnt do it. also when you are on and off throttle you can hear/feel it too. the gap between the lugs are the same. cant feel it when you go higher speeds but im sure its still happening. you can take secondary clutch and turn it quite a bit. as you do this i looked under and you can see drive shaft turning a bit between lugs in track. any suggestions.

G

G

Are you sure the drive lugs on the track are meshing correctly with the driveshaft sprockets? Somebody might have sold you a weird track that is not timed correctly for your edge.

sweeperguy

Pitch is the distance between the driver lugs on the inside of the track that engage with the drive sprockets.
Easiest way to measure is to measure 10 lugs and divide by 10. With tape measure its hard to be accurate just trying to measure one lug to the next. 10 lugs on a 2.52 pitch should measure 25.2 inches or 25 1/4. To check your accuracy, If you multiply the pitch by the total number of drive lugs it should equal the track length.

Last edited:

rp7x

pitch is distance between lugs measrure both tracks , I did see one track that needed some trimming on the inside to keep it from binding , drive nubs

G

G

Back in the olden days (pre-2003 about) all the tracks were the same. A 121 off a Pol would bolt right into an AC or 'Doo or even a Yami I think. A 136 was a 136 back then too. Since then there have been a boatload of different tracks built. Also the mountain sleds have become more specialized and use smaller drivers than they used to so they can run their big 2 inch plus lugs. So these days you have to pay attention if you buy a used track. You could also go ahead and change the drivers to match your new used track but then you will have lost all the savings you gained by searching out a used track. A good place to call and ask about tracks and what will fit what and what won't is Tracks USA. They are on the net and they are very knowledgeable. That is all they do.

02edgehead

thanks for all the input. I just got off the phone with track usa. the guy ran the numbers and said it was right track for the sled. he did mention that kimpex tracks weren't quite as good a track as camoplast. I guess we will just run it for a couple hundred miles and see if it continues. I cant imagine it doing any damage to anything else??

G

G

If the track is studded it could wreck your heat exchanger when it jumps lugs now and then. Otherwise it will just wear out your drive sprockets over time.

ridindirty800

I see you said the track is plenty tight, but that is the only thing that has caused my track to skip was to loose of a track. Good luck hope you find out whats wrong.

02edgehead

If the track is studded it could wreck your heat exchanger when it jumps lugs now and then. Otherwise it will just wear out your drive sprockets over time.

track is not studded. it doesn't jump lugs at all. you just feel/hear like a ratcheting feeling at extreme slow speed.

rp7x

new slides ? high milage sleds need to have the frt of the slides tapered to meet how worn down the plastic at the frt is

sweeperguy

Or if you replaced slides and they are a little too long they will make a ratcheting type noise.
Oops didn't notice original poster as last post stating "old slides"

02edgehead

thanks for all the good ideas. but it is definitely the drive sprocket slipping between lugs. I can see it slip when I grab the secondary and turn it by hand.