Driving on Lake Superior beach/shoreline?

eao

In Michigan; It is unlawful to operate an ATV or UTV in or on the waters of any stream, river, marsh, bog, wetland, swamp, or quagmire, unless you are
driving on a bridge, culvert, or similar structure. It is also unlawful to ride along stream banks or shorelines.

Several years ago there was someone posting on this forum who was from out of state and he was complaining they were ticketed by conservation officers for riding the shore of Lake Superior in the Copper Harbor North region.

Last edited:

srt20

Thank you!
Going to go tooling around this summer site seeing stuff. Will be taking the Jeep. Be cool to drive on the beach, but not if its illegal.

jime

i know i rode sled on marked beach trail in gay mi. one year. the beach out there is made of mine tailings, is a super fund and has been called toxic. i don't know of the

legality but is expansive.

euphoric1

i know i rode sled on marked beach trail in gay mi. one year. the beach out there is made of mine tailings, is a super fund and has been called toxic. i don't know of the

legality but is expansive.

Don't quote me but I think it is illegal to even take any black sand (tailings) from the beach as well, not sure if its because toxicity as you would think being along a fresh body of water if they were, they would clean it up but I agree the area is quite expansive. I have also ridden the marked trail many of times and wondered what it looked like without snow cover.

jonesin

We used to go 4 wheeling there when I was at tech, some of the water holes are deep enough to drown a really tall lifted truck, uh, or so i heard&nbsp; :)<br><br>

chunk06

Not lake Superior, but you can go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan in the Lower. You cant get right up to the water but you could drive close and hang out. I used to go there years ago and the place is a good time. Good time with a Jeep

sweeperguy

Not lake Superior, but you can go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan in the Lower. You cant get right up to the water but you could drive close and hang out. I used to go there years ago and the place is a good time. Good time with a Jeep

Think I saw a vid of sleds running those dunes. Is that sleeping bear dunes? Looks fun. Saw people running the black sand beach in Gay several years back, but was under view of it not being legal.

chunk06

Think I saw a vid of sleds running those dunes. Is that sleeping bear dunes? Looks fun. Saw people running the black sand beach in Gay several years back, but was under view of it not being legal.

Sleeping Bear is North Of the Silver Lake Dunes, that is the one that people walk or run down the dune then can't get back up so they have to pay rescue to get them. Silver Lake is the only dunes east of the Mississippi that you can drive recreational vehicles on legally. It's a good time, but gets busy

old abe

I dont know what that is, but from an earlier post it sounds like its tailings from the mines? Is that what you are talking about too?

Yes, from the stamping process. The tall chimney is the dead give away. Smelter there at one time.