Driving snowmobiles in Michigan

rpm

I am reading the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources snowmobile regulations and it states that a person can not operate a snowmobile if he or she has a suspened license. Can that person go take a snowmobile safety course and then carry the safety certificate with them to make them legal to ride?

Last edited:

jimfsr

Applys to boats too, in Mi. The safety cert. is good from age 12 to when a drivers license is issued. Usually 16-17 yrs old.

polarisrider1

I am reading the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources snowmobile regulations and it states that a person can not operate a snowmobile if he or she has a suspened license. Can that person go take a snowmobile safety course and then carry the safety certificate with them to make them legal to ride?

No.

sjshaner

Are you sure it is for any reason and not just a DUI? And what about someone who has not gotten a drivers license yet? My son is 17 soon to be 18 and we have not allowed him to get his license until he is 18. Just wondering on that.

chords

No DL required to operate sled. The key word here is Suspended meaning you had DL and the state yanked it. A sled safety course does not reinstate a DL. That takes $$ and a lawyer.
Not sure, but any major infraction- alcohol, bodily harm,, goes on DL points.

anonomoose

Any moving violation can get you points, and enough points get's the license suspended automatically in Michigan.

Not sure what they would do if you drove a sled without a license and got caught by authorities. Probably not much...but donno!!!

tomxc700

Any moving violation can get you points, and enough points get's the license suspended automatically in Michigan.

Not sure what they would do if you drove a sled without a license and got caught by authorities. Probably not much...but donno!!!

The sled gets impounded and you go to jail, same thing as if you were driving a car. I saw it done last year.

chords

I meant anything major operating a sled goes on DL. All other sled violations moving or not are fine$

Sled impoundment would be for operating while on a Suspended license, not because you dont have one. Carry a State photo ID if no DL or if youth Safety Cert.